How do I know when to change the props?

Reaction score
This my sound like a silly question, but how do I know when to change the props? Is there something particular I should be looking for in terms of wear and tear or is there a recommended number of hours etc?

As long as you don't strike anything they'll last nearly forever.

Once they have been scuffed or chipped then they should be replaced.

My P2 props are original, 1 year old, with 100-125 flights.

P3 prop hubs may also be subject to wear from remove/attach cycles so monitor the feel and fit of the hubs.

It's not silly. You'll see why they gave you extras when you hit your first tree. I just crashed into a tree for the first time the other day. Props continued to spin fast (Phantom trying to right itself) and I smelled wood burning as I approached it. One prop only had both ends essentially burned off from friction. If you don't crash like I did you're good with your initial propellers until they break from obvious damage.

I always flex my props a bit before installing them so I can check for hairline cracks around the hubs. Other than that, you should not have to change them unless you crash and/or the props strike something.

Reactions: Otis
Scuffed, chipped, dirt & grass stained, all eat the battery time up. You can hear a bad prop while launching. They generally are louder. Last year when I was less fortunate with making my props last as long as possible, I would use a green 3M pad to get the props really smooth so that they had the least resistance as possible. Just when I got everything in the most perfect condition, I had a fly-away and never saw it again. I thought well hell...**** quad is about like my kid. Do a great job of raising her up and send her off to college and never see her anymore, or as much. :)

Reactions: Matt Gray
If you stock at least 1000ft of flight line, you won't have any problems.... go ask the lead maintainer for it, he has plenty...

Flight line is only any good if you have a Long Weight on the end of it. Have you ever found anywhere that sells those?

Your local supply shop will have a perfect Long Weight... ask whoever is in charge for it... they will provide exactly what you are looking for.

Reactions: Matt Gray
This my sound like a silly question, but how do I know when to change the props? Is there something particular I should be looking for in terms of wear and tear or is there a recommended number of hours etc?

What about balancing them?
I have just ordered some spindles on ebay with left & right threads (made for the Phantom).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj