How do I know when the P4 is about to go out of range

Reaction score
Hi all. Newbie again. Can anyone tell me how you can tell when the P4 is about to go out of range? Would like to know when I am about to lose the signal.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You can observe the signal strength, but honestly I think experience will be your best tool. I see my signal strength go fom 80 to zero with no warning and pop right back to 100. Frantically I check my antenna orientation to be sure I have it pointing towards the drone as accurately as possible. AND I never fly without my windsurfers.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Parabolic antennae boosters you slip over your antennae...$10-$25 on Amazon or Ebay. Best bang for the buck to increase range and signal strength.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Even if does get out of range, Return to Home will kick in, and it will soon be back in range. You can cancel RTH to manually make it return home faster. Right when it starts getting choppy and the HD signal is dropping, then you'll know it's about to go down.

Reactions: John1960
Nice! I'm getting a pair.

I've owned 3 different Windsurfer setups. This is the one I like the best because it keeps the antenna's parallel, it's taller (bigger) than others, it folds to easily store, and I'm partial to the copper look. FYI, the type of metal used doesn't help or hinder performance, aluminum, copper, brass, all work the same. What's more important is size and consistent spacing between the antenna shafts and the dish. These devices offer great value.

FWIW, there are two signals... There's a video signal, and a control signal.

I've found that the video usually starts breaking up before the control signal is lost. I normally turn around and head back when I start to lose the video.

Mark,

Don't take this the wrong way, but with these questions, I can tell you haven't read the manual. There's alot of info in the manuals and tutorials for the DJI GO app. Devour this information like your phantom depends on it. Because it does! The symbols are at the top of the screen and look like the signal bars on your phone. One is the RC icon and one is HD video icon

EDIT:

You will also get a remote signal strength weak, warning from the app while flying when you approach the limits of the signal.

Thank you jwt. Are those signals icons on the go app? If so where do they appear?

Yes, it's at the top of the GO app in camera view. Both signals have bars meters representing the signal strength.

It's important to realize that you can sometimes lose video and still have control of the craft. In this case you can ascend to a higher elevation to regain the video link. You'll know if you have control, the LED light on the RC will be green instead of red. Red means no control and it then automatically enables RTH.

If you lose control signal first, this disconnects the video signal automatically and the craft will enable RTH. I've noticed this is a habit of P4 more than P3P, where the control signal disconnects first with little warning from the signal strength bars. Whereas with P3P I will always lose the video feed first and still have a good control signal connection, allowing me to ascend to regain the video signal. This occurs because the GL300C controller that comes with the P4 is weak, the weakest lightbridge controller from DJI to date, in terms of signal transmission strength. You really need to boost the signal of the GL300C controller to be happy, IMO, or use a different model controller from P3P or Inspire, which are both compatible with P4 craft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucone
Jbronw, definitely not taken in the wrong way. I will read through the manual tonight to understand the app in full.

And the stuff that's not covered in the manual, you can learn here in this forum, such as how to use the 2X zoom feature with iOS devices, or how to adjust the horizon level using C2+photo wheel, and how to extend the flight range, etc.

Hi all. Newbie again. Can anyone tell me how you can tell when the P4 is about to go out of range? Would like to know when I am about to lose the signal.

In my opinion, the signal bars gives little information about signal strength, as they tend to go from full to 0 just like that.
The best indicator in my experience, is the quality of the video feed. When it starts to pixelate / break up, that will be your first warning, in witch case i usually add throttle to gain more altitude. Higher altitude equals longer range in most cases.

I found that the parabolic antenna/windsurfers that are joined together work best for me. I have used both the separated ones and the joined ones and I found the joined ones maintained the signals better and are easier to hone in.

Yes, it's at the top of the GO app in camera view. Both signals have bars meters representing the signal strength.

It's important to realize that you can sometimes lose video and still have control of the craft. In this case you can ascend to a higher elevation to regain the video link. You'll know if you have control, the LED light on the RC will be green instead of red. Red means no control and it then automatically enables RTH.

If you lose control signal first, this disconnects the video signal automatically and the craft will enable RTH. I've noticed this is a habit of P4 more than P3P, where the control signal disconnects first with little warning from the signal strength bars. Whereas with P3P I will always lose the video feed first and still have a good control signal connection, allowing me to ascend to regain the video signal. This occurs because the GL300C controller that comes with the P4 is weak, the weakest lightbridge controller from DJI to date, in terms of signal transmission strength. You really need to boost the signal of the GL300C controller to be happy, IMO, or use a different model controller from P3P or Inspire, which are both compatible with P4 craft.

I actually just ordered the Maxx UAV DBS panel. Would you still recommend boosting the GL300C along with the DBS? Keep in mind i'm not trying to get on the long range leader board or fly across town with it. Just looking to get more reliable signal

And the stuff that's not covered in the manual, you can learn here in this forum, such as how to use the 2X zoom feature with iOS devices, or how to adjust the horizon level using C2+photo wheel, and how to extend the flight range, etc.

Learning about the gimbal roll shortcut changed the game for me! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan