How do I know if 6 satellites linkedup?

Reaction score
Practicing pre-flight procedures (I have not flown the Phantom 2 yet - calibrations are complete and successful)

I have no FPV and when I go through compass calibration, yellow blinking, then green blinking.
I am confident that compass calibration is OK.

How do I know its OK to fly and that 6 or more satellites. I am expecting a solid Green LED, but it keeps slowly blinking green.

Sorry for all these questions, but I am a perfectionist and do not want to do something when I am not sure about the situation.

Slow green blink on rear arms is what you want.
That means your GPS receiver has recognized and is utilizing more than 6 GPS satellites.

You are now ready to take-off... assuming you also saw one set of rapid green flashes if you're in 'Phantom Mode' and two sets of rapid green flashes if you're in 'Naza Mode' with IOC enabled.

Solid green LEDs is the indication you are 50% complete with the compass calibration procedure and now need to perform the vertical rotation.

If I didn't have FPV, this what I would do to validate home position:
I would enable NAZA mode with IOC enabled.
Make sure both S1 and S2 are in the up position.
Wait for the green stable flashes and wait at least 2 minutes before starting motors.
Once in the air I would reset my home position (Left toggle switch - middle pos to bottom pos x 5) and look for the rapid green flashes. Once I see the rapid flashes, I would fly 20m out and rotate her side ways 90 degrees. Enable IOC HL and pull back on the right stick. If it flies back where you set the home position sideways then home has been verified.

Mako79 said:
Wait for the green stable flashes and wait at least 2 minutes before starting motors.
Once in the air I would reset my home position (Left toggle switch - middle pos to bottom pos x 5) and look for the rapid green flashes. Once I see the rapid flashes, I would fly 20m out and rotate her side ways 90 degrees. Enable IOC HL and pull back on the right stick. If it flies back where you set the home position sideways then home has been verified.

Nothing like confusing someone who hasn't even gotten off the ground with telling him set his unit up in Naza mode. Some you guys sure don't think. :roll: :roll:

jason said:
Mako79 said:

Nothing like confusing someone who hasn't even gotten off the ground with telling him set his unit up in Naza mode. Some you guys sure don't think. :roll: :roll:

Lol. I did my homework before I flew.

I enabled NAZA IOC on day 1. Best decision ever!
I spent 2 weeks reading on forums and youtubing. I also practiced flying on a pc and practiced with a real el-cheapo quad.
Downloaded the manual and read it thrice.

Mako79 said:
jason said:
Mako79 said:

I spent 2 weeks reading on forums and youtubing. I also practiced flying on a pc and practiced with a real el-cheapo quad.

Not everyone is as capable as you. It's still bad advice.

I heard of Naza, but I am going to wait on that. No point in jumping in the deep end of the pool, when I don't know if I can swim or not.
If something goes wrong, then I want to be able to put my feet down.

I have re-calibrated everything just to make sure they come up the same and they did ( but not the gimbal because it is not installed yet).
I also set the range limits to 66 ft height and 100 feet distance for the first flight. I plan to keep the phantom in a 50 foot radius the first few flights until i feel like I understand everything.

One other question I have about calibration and set up.... What is those "gains" for? I left them in default, but they are in ranges of 125% to 250%. I almost made everything 100%, but decided to leave it as default.

jason said:
Mako79 said:

Doesn't everyone is as capable as you. It's still bad advice.

To me, enabling IOC on day one may be arguable, but on balance is a great idea. One of the biggest problems I had when I flew early flights without FPV was losing orientation. Home Lock can be a godsend, and is exactly like "being able to put your feet down" as the OP said.

There is just one gotcha. You need to make sure manual is not configured. But apart from that I think it makes getting out of trouble easier not harder.

Don't think of "Naza Mode" as providing enhanced capability, control, or features.
It is as the system is designed to work.

Actually "Phantom Mode" is a sub-set of these capabilities intended to allow the new user, for the most part, to not have to worry about S1 or S2. There are some other differences but that's the main 'advantage' if you want to call it that.

"Naza Mode" with S1 & S2 in full Up position is Phantom Mode.

Having said all that, even Naza Mode in a P2 is a sub-set of 'non- Phantom' Nazas capabilities. There are options missing or not accessible in the P2 Assistant as compared to a non-Phantom Naza.

:shock: BRAIN OVERLOAD !!! :shock: WARNING!!!

OK let me get this straight...

S1 and S2 needs to both be up, that's fine I read that and saw the videos...

but S1 has 2 ATTI labels (position 2 and 3). I assume, if I am flying and switch to either of these, that I am in full control. That means I may have to do more lever movement to make the phantom do what I want.
In other words, if I am hovering (in ATTI mode), I will have to compensate for crosswind,etc... Correct?
ATTI 1 and ATTI 2...(switch positions) what is the difference? I noticed when I was calibrating this switch, that there was Atti, failsafe, Atti, failsafe, Atti. The arrow jumped from 1 atti to the next, but skipped both failsafe (when I was flipping the S1 switch). Is this right?

For S1 - I think I would rather have position 1 = GPS, position 2 = ATTI, and postion 3 = Fail safe (is this RTH?)

S2... I see it should be off. What happens when I put the switch to position 2 or position 3 ? It looks like position 3 is "home" which means if I think I am losing the Phantom, I can switch to 3 and it will come back?
Since I did not enable NAZA (or at least that I am aware of), these switches are disabled?

Is NAZA assistant ver 3.8 on the DJI website? If I remember right I downloaded 3.6, or which ever one was the lower version of "assistant".

I apologize for all these questions, but with a hearing loss, I do miss alot on the videos. I do watch MicBergsma, since he signs and also put the words on the screen, but it still does not cover everything.

Thanks again everyone!

I am assuming you have IOC enabled, and are configuring S1 ATTI 2.
You basically have a choice in this position of manual or failsafe. Choose failsafe. DO NOT choose manual.

S2 is for Course Lock (position 2) or Home Lock (position 3)
S2 (position 1) is IOC Off

If you select Course Lock the quad will fly related to the bearing it took off at (specifically it initialised at before take off, although there is a way of resetting this in flight) . The best way of understanding this is to search youtube. You will get it as soon as you see it. Course lock works in GPS or ATTI modes.

If you select Home Lock and pull back on the right hand stick, the quad will come back to its home point, regardless of which direction it is pointing in. Its height will not change unless you change it. This is really useful if you lose orientation of the quad and decide to bring it home. Home Lock only works in GPS mode.

Thank you Hughie for your explanations, now I have a better understanding about these switches.

Now... how do I calibrate in NAZA mode? I would like to look at the screen just to see what it looks like.
When I look at the pfd printout that I downloaded (Phantom 2 User Manual V1.4) the only NAZA reference I see in calibration is a tab at the top of the screen that says "Function switch of Phantom 2 and Naza-M mode".
Do i click on this and it will switch screens and calibrate in Naza-M mode? This is in section 7.2.

rockhoundrob said:
Thank you Hughie for your explanations, now I have a better understanding about these switches.

Now... how do I calibrate in NAZA mode? I would like to look at the screen just to see what it looks like.
When I look at the pfd printout that I downloaded (Phantom 2 User Manual V1.4) the only NAZA reference I see in calibration is a tab at the top of the screen that says "Function switch of Phantom 2 and Naza-M mode".
Do i click on this and it will switch screens and calibrate in Naza-M mode? This is in section 7.2.

That is correct. It will give you warnings about making the change. It is a good change.
Be sure to enable IOC to unlock the HL and CL functions of S2. It is a checkbox on one of the tabs.

Rob .. since you have a tendency to overthink all of this and are looking for even more things to worry about, it is probably best to keep it as simple as possible.
Just start out in plain vanilla Phantom mode - less complexity, less to think about, less to worry about.
Use that for a few close flights and get some confidence and basic flight experience without having to learn more complicated stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav