How Do I Format the Micro SC Card

Reaction score
I just got my Phantom 3 Advanced.

How do I format the micro SD card?
Is there a way to do it with the DJI Pilot app, or do I use my computer to re-format the card?

In the camera settings on the right of the screen, Select camera settings icon, select more, scroll down and you will find the icon for reformatting the SD card. I might suggest that you take the props off the copter, fire up the controller, fire up the app, turn on the phantom and spend some time familiarizing your self with the app, and how to navigate to all the options and commands-- without this knowledge, keeping your Phantom in one piece may prove to be very difficult. Despite what you have heard, flying this very simple quad is easy, but you need to know everything in the app and all the checks and safety points to keep it flying. That will require some effort.

Cheers and happy flying and a happy 4th.:):):)

format in Phantom, not PC..... that way you are insured it will work w operating system of the Phantom...

I formatted my 64GB SDXC in the 4K camera using the Pilot App, it records and the app says there is 5G left on the chip, but I can't read any of the files using a microSD reader, or by plugging a USB cable into the camera. I can see the files on a 32GB SD plugged into the camers with USB and my USB key SD card reader can open the files. The 64GB card only says its not formatted and asks to format it, but it gives no options. Again, the 4K camera is writing to the card it seems, and it can tell how much remaining free space there is. Any ideas?

I formatted my 64GB SDXC in the 4K camera using the Pilot App, it records and the app says there is 5G left on the chip, but I can't read any of the files using a microSD reader, or by plugging a USB cable into the camera. I can see the files on a 32GB SD plugged into the camers with USB and my USB key SD card reader can open the files. The 64GB card only says its not formatted and asks to format it, but it gives no options. Again, the 4K camera is writing to the card it seems, and it can tell how much remaining free space there is. Any ideas?

The SD card reader won't understand the file structure of the dji app format. Happened with me trying to play the files on a 4k TV. Had to format on a PC into a WIN FAT type of format. No issues with recording to the card and my SD car reader is working fine again with 4k playback on the TV.

Last edited:
So no way to get those 4K videos out of the camera since I used the Pilot app to format the SD card in the camera? That seems like a pretty big oversight on DJI's part. I can download 1080p videos through the app, but I can not download a 4K video. Professional, really?

Can you copy the files on the SD card and paste them to a
So no way to get those 4K videos out of the camera since I used the Pilot app to format the SD card in the camera? That seems like a pretty big oversight on DJI's part. I can download 1080p videos through the app, but I can not download a 4K video. Professional, really?
If you can see the files on the SD card, copy and past them to a folder in your computer. You can format the SD card in the app, record the video, then pull the card out, put it in a reader and copy them to your computer. Always successful. I have not had any problems doing this.

You may have a reader that is not reading the card.

From what I could tell the files are fine with a dji format. You can place those video files on a computer do a PC format on the mini SD card then put them back on the newly formatted card and it should work fine. For whatever reason my LG 4k TV via a mini SD reader couldn't resolve the file structure of the dji app format for video playback. But with a pc format it was fine.

From what I could tell the files are fine with a dji format. You can place those files on a computer do a PC format then put them back on the SD card and it should work fine. For whatever reason my LG 4k TV couldn't resolve the file structure of the dji app format for video playback. But with a pc format it was fine.
That is strange-- I can format mine on the PC or in the app, it makes no difference.

That is strange-- I can format mine on the PC or in the app, it makes no difference.

Agreed and what's stranger video playback on my pc via the sd card reader was also fine by both formats.....something specifically about my LG TV and that card reader caused a problem with a DJI format....

Agreed and what's stranger video playback on my pc via the sd card reader was also fine by both formats.....something specifically about my LG TV and that card reader caused a problem with a DJI format....

Sounds like the TV can not read the exFAT format that is used for cards larger than 32GB.

Reactions: bobmyers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31