Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How do I fly in a "No Fly Zone" aka "Airport"

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Pulsar747n, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Pulsar747n

I have been asked to participate by flying the Phantom and answering questions about drones during an Airport Day Fly-In at an airport that is in red in the DJI Map "No Fly Zones". During that day, there will be an antique car show and RC aerobatic demonstrations in addition to the many airplanes that are coming in.

I have contacted the official staff at the airport and I have obtained permission to fly during the event. FAA regulation say that I must contact and inform Air Traffic Control or Airport Operator with prior notice. I have not only done that but I have also obtained authorization even though I did not have to.

So here are the questions:
    Is my Phantom 3P able to fly?
    If I fly in ATTI mode, would it take off?
    Is there a way to disable the no fly feature?
    Do you think it is appropriate for DJI to have a feature to prevent you to fly when the FAA says is ok if you advise?
    Does one have to buy a different brand to be able to fly in this case?

I feel that this will be a great opportunity to have a positive interaction with the public about drones. To dispel any misconception about privacy and danger and promote the awesome technology that the drones bring.

2. BillG

I have the same questions. I've been heavily involved with the Young Eagles program in the past and would like to be able to demo my drone at an event sometime. It does not appear to be possible with a Phantom 3 though.

3. N017RW

The tin-foil 'hat' is your only recourse a.k.a. no ready-to-fly GPS.

This was demo-ed by a mythbuster associate from the 'Tested' blog and a DJI rep many months ago.

The tin-foil is used attenuate the GPS signals so as to tout the VPS and is introduced about 10 minutes into the vid.

#3 N017RW, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    clivek_77 likes this.
  4. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

It seems like there would be some way to "submit a request" to DJI and get a temporary over-ride.

5. olof Ekbergh

I would just bring one of my old MRs with WKM or Naza controller.

I have done demo flights several times at airports and even inside school gyms, and town meetings. I usually put the video up on a large LCD for the audience to see, and let volunteers from the audience run the camera. These are with dual radio systems. The results are very popular and help spread the word about what we can do.

Here is some onboard footage of demos:

6. suprphreak

Contact DJI. I was at an event of theirs recently and they said they can individually disable NFZs for people on request. Since it sounds like you have the proper permission, they should be able to assist.

No idea how they do this, since i didn't care to ask more.

7. N017RW

This was posted by "The Editor", a staff member, at the Inspire Pilots forum:

"Unless you hold a valid CAA/FAA/CASA exemption unlock will not be granted."

8. John MacNeill

Go to the FAA in my case Transport Canada and file a flight notification and wait for their approval. Don't hold your breath you could die.