How do I file a NOTAM?

Richard. You are correct. It was a request by the airport manager since the flight patterns around the airport would be about 1 mile from the location.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Like I said, a courtesy thing (and safety). Did it get published and how did the shoot go?

We can check as soon as they approve one! Several waivers have shown up, but no authorizations yet.

I don't think Airspace Authorizations are going to populate the same list as the Waivers. That was the conclusion from Kevin with the FAA. He said he wasn't sure if AA will ever be listed unlike waivers. Only time will tell for sure.

Reactions: iankahr
I wondered about that too. The list does say "waivers granted". And I haven't found anywhere that I can check on the status of my request.

If you mean the UAS Management page, then it will become a NOTAM only when you select "Have the service create NOTAM(s) for this UOA" and enter your COA number.

Entering just the location and time and other information there only puts it on that particular map, no NOTAM is generated. Click on some areas on that map and you'll see some will say NOTAM and others will not.

Neither the NOTAM/TFR video that N42742 has nor the alokbhargava video above showing the 1800WXbrief UAS Operating Area (UOA) form are showing the needed entries in the bottom right of the form as the user that has logged in for the video has not registered for this.

AFAIK, COA's are only for 333 holders, not 107.

View attachment 66762

I have just opened up a ticket at 1800wxbrief.com to fix this issue for 107 pilots, also to add 107 UASS Remote Pilot to the dropdown list in the User info area under Certification type.
They told me that if you want to have your UOA form posted as a NOTAM you still need to call 1-877-487-6867 and have them post it.
Kind of makes the UOA form useless to pilots flying in your area of operation unless they take the time to check the UOA postings.

Reactions: Nickster
I have just opened up a ticket at 1800wxbrief.com to fix this issue for 107 pilots, also to add 107 UASS Remote Pilot to the dropdown list in the User info area under Certification type.
They told me that if you want to have your UOA form posted as a NOTAM you still need to call 1-877-487-6867 and have them post it.
Kind of makes the UOA form useless to pilots flying in your area of operation unless they take the time to check the UOA postings.

You are correct. The only way to file the NOTAM is with the phone call. I have done it and that is what they told me. They did say it is great if we fill out the form before calling since they can pull the info off of it while on the phone and then you just need a few extra things to tell them.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Nothing like government intervention to create problems that do not exist. Flying under 400' agl one would have to be within several hundred feet or less from the end of runway to interfere with traffic. Even glider traffic flies at 1000' agl in the traffic pattern. If you are worried about it just make a phone call.

Yes thanks Nickster,
I guess the guy I filed the the NOTAM with did not check the UOA's first because there are 2 areas of operation almost overlapping now on the map for my operation.
He must have put my information into the system just slightly off from the UOA form and it made a radius just barely off center of mine.

Next time I call I will tell them to check first and they can get the info from the already filed UOA.

For hobby flying I would suggest just calling the ATC. Guess it would not hurt to fill out the UOA but DON'T do the NOTAM.

Hopefully in the future the UOA will be sufficient for commercial operations to 400 agl. But until the FAA clarifies the situation I guess I will have to call.

Go figure:

10 Things to Know About Part 107 - AirMap

3. NO NOTAM REQUIRED.

Part 107 removes the requirement for commercial operators to file a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM), suggesting that NOTAMs by remote pilots for scalable UAS operations would create clutter during preflight briefing without providing an additional level of security to pilots.

Funny thing though is that when I call the LAPD to tell them I am conducting an air op for commercial footage they still ask for my NOTAM number.
Not sure what to do.

So I contacted the FAA and asked for for clarification (my letter below):

Hello I am flying to capture footage for sale online.(commercial operator).

I have my part 107 certificate.
I would like some clarification about the filing of a NOTAM.

Most of the info online I can find says that as a commercial operator I MUST file a NOTAM, but I found this recently:
-------------------------------------
10 Things to Know About Part 107 - AirMap

3. NO NOTAM REQUIRED.

Part 107 removes the requirement for commercial operators to file a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM), suggesting that NOTAMs by remote pilots for scalable UAS operations would create clutter during preflight briefing without providing an additional level of security to pilots
--------------------------------
I have always filed a UOA at 1800wxbrief.com but have begun calling to file NOTAM's as when I call the LAPD air ops they ask for a NOTAM identifier number.

WHAT SHOULD I DO???
IS FILING THE UOA SUFFICIENT?
SHOULD I STILL FILE A NOTAM?

There are many operators who are questioning what to do, please get back to me with clarification for future operations.
Thanks

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj