How do feel about being a spy for the Chinese government?

If you think that the Chinese government is interested in where you fly and what you film ......
That would have to be the most illogical spying conspiracy I could imagine.
What tiny fraction of the material they would have to wade through would be of any value at all?
The FAA, FBI, Chinese government and any martians that might be listening in are welcome to whatever info they can glean from my flight records.

Reactions: RodC and maseman88
They all have satellites, like I tell my friends do it on a over cast day if you don't want to be seen, this is why drones were invented.

If you think that the Chinese government is interested in where you fly and what you film ......
That would have to be the most illogical spying conspiracy I could imagine.
What tiny fraction of the material they would have to wade through would be of any value at all?
The FAA, FBI, Chinese government and any martians that might be listening in are welcome to whatever info they can glean from my flight records.
I guess privacy, confidence and trust are rather antiquated notions. I'm showing my age.

-- tom

They do not need our drone footage to spy. I have it on good authority that current satellite systems can read the small embossed brand printed on the cigarette you are smoking (if you partake).

Reactions: ChrisA
The story is about Chinese people only, this does not affect the rest of the world (yet). The Chinese probably don't think twice about this as every aspect of their lives is controlled by the government.

They do not need our drone footage to spy. I have it on good authority that current satellite systems can read the small embossed brand printed on the cigarette you are smoking (if you partake).
No, I don't partake :) And I agree satellites can do a lot. We have the ability to provide one more dimension and even supply the vulnerability of a given target at a given time. I know, paranoid. But never discount the amount of information we make available to those who desire to use it for whatever purpose, good or bad. I grew up in the cold war period. We can laugh at the movies of students ducking under their desks during bomb drills, but people did die and suffer tremendous repression. It can happen again . . . even as enlightened as we all want to believe we are.

-- zigs

The story is about Chinese people only, this does not affect the rest of the world (yet). The Chinese probably don't think twice about this as every aspect of their lives is controlled by the government.
It looks to me like most Americans don't care either . . . probably for the same reason.

Well when you consider China have developed a nuclear missile that can reach America in around 30 minutes that can travel at mach 10, any conspiracy theory sounds believable.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

True or not, live feed intercepts and consumer flight data being turned over to the Chinese government is worrisome. The blame for the media storm and any consumer backlash will rest squarely on DJI's shoulders.

Behaviors such as updates that do not disclose what is being added, an app that makes multiple internet connections to a variety of servers, and a general lack of solid corporate communication have created a lack of trust, even distrust between consumers and DJI.

DJI has made the bed, they are responsible to make their consumers comfortable enough to sleep in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisA
I'd say 90% of the people that update do not read the update they just except the terms and go fly . DJI is not the only company doing things like this any app that you install go read what some of them want access to pretty much all your personal info/data there agin most do not read that. Some stores can track your phone and know what your looking at they say to send you coupons . We are in a info collecting age now .

I'd say 90% of the people that update do not read the update they just except the terms and go fly . DJI is not the only company doing things like this any app that you install go read what some of them want access to pretty much all your personal info/data there agin most do not read that. Some stores can track your phone and know what your looking at they say to send you coupons . We are in a info collecting age now .
There is nothing against you using a phone or tablet that contain zero true personal data

Most people are oblivious to the fact that over time companies such as DJI (or Google or fill in the blank) stand to make more money on your identity and the information that goes with it than the product you thought you were purchasing in the first place. Few take into account that you really never own the product, you're renting it because the control the producer has over its technology can render it unusable whenever they choose.

I'm amazed at how cheaply we sell ourselves out. Maybe we should all start waking up and at least take a cut for ourselves.

-- zigs

There is nothing against you using a phone or tablet that contain zero true personal data

I doubt the Chinese government cares where you live. I'd imagine they could sift through any image data by gps location they want. I'm not a fan of entrusting my privacy to even Apple, let alone my national security to the Chinese government.

Is this the case? Probably not. I've noticed no heavy bandwith usuage unless I personally upload a video. I'll put away my tin foil helmet now. Bottom line, DJI needs to be transparent about the data its app collects and transmits, and to give consumers a way to manage the data being shared with DJI.

At my ripening old age I've long since figured out that I'm somewhere below the level of "drone" and the ole stinger isn't what it used to be . . . ie. I understand my position. BUT, anyone entering into the brave, new world that thinks their individual information is of little to no use is destined to play the fool. Little data makes up big data and big data means the power to dominate and manipulate as well provide goods and services we might desire. It often costs as much as it gains.

I'm noticing that many people don't mind selling themselves. Just realize it's never a final transaction . . . it accumulates and goes on for a lifetime. The results will be meted out accordingly.

-- zigs

At that point you will be a puppet on a string. Stand up for liberty no matter what issue.

The Go app collects data on where you fly and takes sample images regardless of sync state. What DJI does with it is not known but it would seem that they are morally flexible and lacking any quality controls for data protection. Anyone with your DJI ID can see where you've flown and even see thumbnails of images with a little XML manipulation.

It is a gross violation of our personal privacy.

And this isn't a free Google service that is built around anonymised data sharing. DJI never disclosed they would be harvesting your data when you purchased the product. And you paid for it. DJI is trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Don't stand for it. Complain. Block the app from connecting to DJI.

Reactions: ChrisA and Zigs

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie