How did OREO drop Cookies from the DJI? Or is there a payload mod somewhere?

Reaction score
In the commercial, How did OREO drop Cookies from the DJI? Or is there a payload mod somewhere?

I'm moving to FLA soon and the wife wants to start fishing again on the shore. I'd like to use the DJI to drop the baited hook out beyond the surf line. Like dropping OREO cookies!

Has anyone seen a mod done like this?

Thanks gents.

PS. It's got to be a better idea than the PVC Cannon blasting frozen bait plugs!

Found on Drone360mag.com:

Oreo and Aerobo partner to drone-dunk cookies

When it comes to dunking delicious Oreo cookies, everyone has their unique method. Whether you like a long soak or a quick dip, we all know that Oreos are milk’s favorite cookie. To celebrate Oreo’s 105th birthday and National Oreo Day (March 6), the company decided to try a new kind of signature dunk — with drones.

On a barge on New York City’s East River, hundreds of cups of milk laid in wait for the aerial cookie assault that would soon befall them. A team of pilots from Aerobo, a New York-based drone company, piloted five DJI Inspire drones equipped with one Oreo and an Oreo-dropping mechanism — as well as two more drones to capture those great aerial shots.

In a creative twist, the drones themselves were also costumed as Oreos. A giant Oreo betraying a smaller Oreo to its certain dairy doom? All in good fun, I suppose.

One of the drones dropped its cookie payload, sending it tumbling through the air and into the milky abyss below. A satisfying slow-mo camera captured the ensuing splash of milk as the Drone Dunk was completed. Chalk up another obscure drone first.

"We've flown smoke bombs and beers, soft drinks and White Girl Rosé, but with 7 drones in the air at the same time, Oreo was a fun and challenging project that was a slam dunk," Aerobo said in a Facebook post.

The drone spectacle is linked to a contest encouraging followers to post pictures of their most impressive Oreo dunks on social media for the chance to win a trip to Los Angeles or New York. If you’re going to try your own Drone Dunk, please fly safely.

You can turn the leds on/off from the controller.

How would you do that? Is there a schematic or diagram that would show where we might be able to find a signal wire that we could use to remotely turn on and off LED's for example? I have thought about looking into this several times and have forgotten about it.

I have not opened the Phantom to take a look at the connections yet, but most standard LEDs run off of 2v at about 30ma...

I was thinking a transistor driving a solenoid to actuate the drop release mechanism should work well. (And isolate the Phantom from spikes caused by the solenoid).

This will be one of my summer projects or I might just buy the device in Post 6 :)

mmmmmm my concern is that fishing line going out with the P3 on the end ....

I know people have fished with model Helicopters .... but some have had some awful mishaps as well ...

Nigel

Mate, found these in a boating/fishing shop for about $15 au. They fit drone landing gear perfect. Just have to adjust tension to the lure/ bait weight, fly till you want to drop then flick the bail or run out of line on your reel and bang they drop with ease. Still feel like I'm a bit of a cheat but getting heaps bigger fish being out further than I can cast[emoji106]
55143d64f04f86fde9af5b3ad3f6a82a.jpg
453c1aa8dfeaf943325790ff1a9b8756.jpg
bc597e419bd14559cde424c6b765cc98.jpg
a6218dd516fa28dfd38899c9306cfea0.jpg

Last edited:
I have probably the original version of the Gimbal Guard drop release. Looks like they've added some more neat features. Mine works great. I've dropped beers to friends and used it for a precision drop of a leaf guard into the rain bucket on my weather station (didn't want to take the pole down). I'm going to look into some of the additional features.

I know somebody has developed a release device for the Mavic that uses a sensor mounted over one of the LED's so that turning off the LED releases the payload.

edit: It turns out that "somebody" is the same Gimbal-Guard mentioned and linked above.

Last edited:
I know somebody has developed a release device for the Mavic that uses a sensor mounted over one of the LED's so that turning off the LED releases the payload.

edit: It turns out that "somebody" is the same Gimbal-Guard mentioned and linked above.
Thanks for the come back!

How would you do that? Is there a schematic or diagram that would show where we might be able to find a signal wire that we could use to remotely turn on and off LED's for example? I have thought about looking into this several times and have forgotten about it.
There are several mods you can buy. Simply search for drop mod phantom 4 or phantom 4 hook or fishing mod. None expensive and many can power off the drone or from a 9volt. None are really expensive.

Reactions: Solly747400

Easiest method by far. Coat hanger and duct tape. No need for sensors, electronic releases, ect. No chance of line dragging your bird into the ocean either.

Yep! Good old duct tape, take a coat hanger piece, bent it up slightly, thread the leader loop thru the wire, when you get to the drop point, just reverse direction!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav