How DEFINITIVE is some kind of HDMI output to goggles for phantom 3?

Reaction score
People have talked about replacing part of the PH3 controller with the Inspire version, using an Inspire 1controller, and/or a USB to HDMI adapter. But, my question is: how DEFINITIVE is it that SOMETHING will allow HDMI output. I don't want to invest in a Phantom 3 and have rumors float around for months about HDMI output support until finally DJI says they won't support it until the Phantom 4 a year or more later.

So, anyone have any solid evidence that DJI has plans of supporting HDMI output?

Hearsay coming from 2 dji reps and a dji pm that a dongle will be released? Hmm. Pretty bleak outlook.

OK, I'm buying an Nvidia Shield Tablet. Forget them.

Cool. I just hope there aren't latency issues. Reviews say, next to the iPad, the Nvidia Shield Tablet is the BEST tablet to use for video monitor for Phantom DJI Pilot App. So, it should be pretty cool.

Why did DJI remove the HDMI port in the first place when it worked great on the I1. It seems to me like they were trapped between keeping infront of there competition and not getting to close to the I1.

They will also make extra money selling an adaptor for something that should have really been part of the TX in the first place.

Why did DJI remove the HDMI port in the first place when it worked great on the I1. It seems to me like they were trapped between keeping infront of there competition and not getting to close to the I1.

They will also make extra money selling an adaptor for something that should have really been part of the TX in the first place.

Heck, I'll buy that adapter, no problem. Just tell me when it's coming!

Couldn't you just use a tablet with mini HDMI out and run that to the goggles? My current tablet has a mini HDMI port that I can use to project the display to anything that will accept an HDMI signal. The downside being of course that now you have to keep the tablet on in addition to the goggles so yet another battery to charge.

Couldn't you just use a tablet with mini HDMI out and run that to the goggles? My current tablet has a mini HDMI port that I can use to project the display to anything that will accept an HDMI signal. The downside being of course that now you have to keep the tablet on in addition to the goggles so yet another battery to charge.
Yes

Yes, the Nvidia Shield Tablet will do this incredibly well.

I'm going to use Miracast function on my tablet that's running the DJI App and send out that way to my goggles. (Epson BT-200's) :)

(yes I've tested this with my PH 2 V+ app and quad... Also the A1 app only)

Nvidia Shield a great tablet for the Phantom:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's what I've discovered:
1. There may or may not be a USB to HDMI adapter released.
2. The nVidia Shield Tablet (Android-based) is ranked up there as the 2nd best (next to iPad) in terms of a tablet to use with the Phantom and it has HDMI OUTPUT! The HDMI output has little to no latency. It also has built-in GPS (16gb and 32gb versions) and LTE capability (32gb version). A few videos on Youtube tout it as a great tablet for the Phantom Inspire, etc.
3. Airplay may work, but Airplay has latency issues.
4. The best goggles seem to be the Headplay HD goggles about to be released (getfpv.com) as they are only $250 and support HDMI in, 72 degree FOV, and 1280x720 (exactly the resolution that the Phantom 3 broadcasts its live stream in).

I figure that this setup will keep me happy for awhile until they POSSIBLY release an HDMI output capability, in which case I can always sell my Shield (unless I grow attached to the Shield) and lose only a little bit of money, but keep the goggles.

The real fun begins when we start to consider if the winter release of the Oculus Rift will support 2D HDMI input. It probably will just fine. In that case, it will be 1080p resolution with over 100 degree FOV. And perhaps using the SDK, someone will program an app that allows the headtracker to control the camera view on the Phantom 3! Totally immersive.

If only had all this technology had been available to me when I was a kid. I would have been in heaven.

Reactions: jodyberry
Thanks for the update! I certainly hope they make one. I'll hold my breath for now and sell my Shield if and when the cover plate gets released. Did they say WHEN it would be available?
I can't search over there as I'm not a member but they said it should be available around the time of delivery for the P3. Obviously it could be delayed but I have no reason to doubt it's coming.

I can't search over there as I'm not a member but they said it should be available around the time of delivery for the P3. Obviously it could be delayed but I have no reason to doubt it's coming.

I've just been disappointed by company promises (not DJI) in the past so many times, that I just have to wait and see for myself.

So, do I need a Shield with cellular connectivity in order to use the goggles with HDMI capability?

Or can the tablet with Wi-Fi only work with the app?

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.