Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How cold

Discussion in 'Phantom 1 Discussion' started by kjar211, Oct 14, 2015.

1. kjar211

Since this is my 1st year with my P1,how cold of a temp can you fly. .im in NY so it gets cold.

2. SBGfilms

My experience with my old P1 was anything under 2 - 3 degrees C then the batteries suffered a lot resulting in 1 - 2 minute flights times!

3. kjar211

Oh wow. Hoping I could get some nice snow shots this winter

4. Ti22

Keep RC Lipo batteries warm (room temp) and/or next to your body while outside in cold weather.

Once you start using them, they’ll heat internally to some extent and ‘can usually avoid cold temperature induced voltage sag.

As far as what temps for RC Lipo packs/bricks. Anything below 50F you’ll be able to notice. 30F and below will become severely compromised and 15F pretty much forget it.

But, start with ‘em warm and they should be okay for at least several minutes. Depends how cold it is outside...

kjar211 likes this.
  5. SouthernPhantom

The published specs also say it works down to about 32° F (0° C). I was thinking the same thing, that it might be fun to get some good skiing shots. But it looks like we'll have to wait for those sunny 40° days when there's still snow on the ground.

kjar211 likes this.
  6. Zigs

Staying with the "cold" theme . . . for those experienced. Have you run into any lens issues (fogging, condensation, or even frost)?

-- zigs

7. kirk2579

I got my first 2 phantoms in Jan this year. A week later Ohio got snow and sub 20 degree weather for next 3 months almost daily.

Had no choice so out I went and flew many many hours in 0F to 10F temps, in light snow , day and night. It was great and flew fine. I caveat, PROPS are brittle at that temp range and very easy to snap.

m_dazel, kjar211 and Ti22 like this.
  8. kjar211

i wonder if anything would get damaged flying in light snow or would it short out

9. JH_PiNoY

Short is possible, if it goes through the small vent holes. Once you come back in, the snow might melt and get some water to contact some of the electronics

10. Mark_DeKruyter

Just tape over the slots

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

11. kjar211

True the vents I assume are to release heat but bring its cold it may not be needed

12. Gydo194

DJI states on the website the Phantom 1's operating temperature range is -10 to 50 degrees Celsius, That's 14F to 122F.

13. graveyardspin

i was able to fly my P1 for about 10 minutes, and the temps were hovering in the mid-20's (F). I was able to get some great video flying over a frozen river near my home.

14. Beario

In Winter I expect to have about half of the flight time. anything extra I consider good luck and I stay relatively closer to my starting point just in case anything happens:)

15. kirk2579

true but they work fine as far as flying etc below those temps no problem. even my vision plus and the camera works, gimbal can stiffen some tho.

The REAL problem at those temps are the darn fingers!!!

good luck and have fun flying