How cold is too cold to fly?

Reaction score
I'm here in Northern California it's 30° in my house and I was going to head up the road to film some snow and lakes where it is 6° right now. I know there's an operating temperature specs on DJI's website but do I run the risk of a crashing or am I just going to eat two batteries quicker?

I was thinking about using some of my wife's hand warmers packets to put under the batteries in the case on my way up?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If you have your batteries at room temp and keep them warm until you start flying you should be ok. I usually keep my Lipos under my jacket to keep them warm, sometimes use my Lipo warmer. Normal temp inside a car should be ok as well. In cold temps I land much earlier, when batt is around 35%, simply to not risk a crash due to voltage drop. Just keep the Lipos warm before inserting them into the aircraft. After that they'll stay warm due to the current draw.

While DJI does not recommend it, It is technically possible to fly in colder temperatures. DJI has some good tips on cold weather flying here, here, and here.

Reactions: MichaelS
I've flown in 6 degree temps with 15mph wind. I got slightly reduced battery life but it wasn't too bad I just had to make sure I kept it close

I'm here in Northern California it's 30° in my house and I was going to head up the road to film some snow and lakes where it is 6° right now. I know there's an operating temperature specs on DJI's website but do I run the risk of a crashing or am I just going to eat two batteries quicker?

I was thinking about using some of my wife's hand warmers packets to put under the batteries in the case on my way up?

30 degrees in your house? Sell the drone and buy some heat for your house! Are your pipes freezing yet? Wow!!!!

Northern Wi. Here, just did my firmware update then calibrated IMU then the compass, this is my second time flying, first was compass failure steady, today at 19 degrees it flew great! But my hands were froze as I flew it down to 58% battery, can't wait till next time

While DJI does not recommend it, It is technically possible to fly in colder temperatures. DJI has some good tips on cold weather flying here, here, and here.
Could cold whether cause your compass to have problems ? It's not super cold but for some reason my drone won't let me take off because of the calibration and when I try to calibrate it says I'm too close to metal which isn't true because I'm in the middle of a grassy field.

Last time I flew it was about 38 degrees, but after I flew it I seen there was a update, did it and recalibrated and all is good. Took about 30 min on update and beeped crazy loud about 25 min., good thing I did it in garage. It was 19 degrees when I took it out but being new and in beginner mode it was close in case their was a problem and everything went great!

I flew yesterday in 24'.
99c75989b5773c257947b3e3ac678e38.jpg

Could cold whether cause your compass to have problems ?
I've never heard of compass issues being caused by cold weather. The batteries always seem to be the first component to start failing in cold weather.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31