Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How close was I?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Banderboy, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Banderboy

Set a Waypoints to fly around the school. I thought 125' was more that sufficient. Then I watched the video and...wow! It was flat terrain from my apt. to the school. I can't believe the trees around here are over 125', but watch this snippet. I think I dodged a bullet!

Dronefriend likes this.
  2. captainmilehigh

Yep, you dodged a bullet for sure. That was WAY too close. Glad the tree didn't jump up and grab the bird. Just a touch higher next time?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

3. Helihover

That looks lower than 125'.

4. impilot51

Have you checked google earth for any elevation change between your take off point and the school? You can often have a slight incline that you don't even notice end up being a change of 50-75 feet. Also, your altitude readings are subject to some error, sometimes 30-50 feet or more. Its easy to see that if these all add up to your detriment..well, you can get a situation like you just ran into. I like to all an extra 100 feet or so on a first flight in an unknown area, look at the video, and then decide if I can fly it again a bit lower. Good luck on your future flights! You did get lucky this time, but I'm sure you learned from it. I'm sure there are lots of other folks that are not so lucky!

5. Banderboy

I found this excellent altitude site, and it appears there is a 59' difference between launch site and near miss site. Yikes! I would never have guessed! I gotta be more careful!
    Altitude.nu - Find the elevation of any place

6. Pharm

ALWAYS check your elevations and take into account trees, buildings, poles, etc. 125 ft is awfully low for what you were doing anyway. And remember that 125 ft is your altitude above the takeoff point, NOT AGL (Above Ground Level). That's why it looks lower. It WAS lower.

7. Mark The Droner

It is a known fact that if you run a mission, your aircraft will zero in on the tallest tree within five miles and try to hit it.

1800BigRob and mikesmiley like this.
  8. JTC

JTC

I have found a few trees with Phantom magnets!

9. captainmilehigh

Sometimes twice on the same darn tree.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

10. Dronefriend

Lol that was even closer than I was to this church tower close to a year ago. 17 seconds in..