How close to things you fly?

I like to get myself in a position so to fly close to an object or water surface and still have a visual of the separation. This video has some neat close quarters stuff for example. I have posted this video before and can't bragg on it due to some poor camera settings in some scenes, but might give some inspiration, love that close in stuff. Example at 1:30

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Nice stuff. You're braver than I...
Trees and I don't get along well. Flying under low branches just makes me queasy as I know how the Phantom can bob slightly up or down.
Also I have problems with it driving slightly sideways when flying close to things. Maybe I'm going too slow and a bit more speed would stabilize it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I usually try to keep a good distance between my bird and around obstacles. However, eyes can sometimes be tricked and misjudge distance/height so it's a thing you usually learn with a few crashes ;)

Or a few near-miss that get your heart beat pretty fast!!:D

I like to get myself in a position so to fly close to an object or water surface and still have a visual of the separation. This video has some neat close quarters stuff for example. I have posted this video before and can't bragg on it due to some poor camera settings in some scenes, but might give some inspiration, love that close in stuff. Example at 1:30

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Wow great video you are one brave person balls of stell!!

I just got the P3A to learn with and have been staying in my yard navigating through small trees and other obstacles just to practice manually flying. I understand any mistakes on my part might be costly, I do think it will make me a better pilot in the long run. Now I have only had the P3A for a few weeks so take my opinion for what its worth.

I try not to fly too close to anything on purpose. However, here is one of my first flights after I got the phantom! I got lucky that day!

totally not ragging on you (just learning).... when you say in the vid that "at this point I can't see the Phantom" doesn't that go against the VLOS restriction? I am just curious.

Interesting, in this video at the 51 - 52 seconds I was not flying as close as it seems, yet the video show that i was really close.

I try not to fly too close to anything on purpose. However, here is one of my first flights after I got the phantom! I got lucky that day!

You should have gone out on that day and buy a lottery ticket, it was your lucky day.!

Reactions: Great_Lakes
Interesting, in this video at the 51 - 52 seconds I was not flying as close as it seems, yet the video show that i was really close.

What's at 51-52 seconds in? Are we watching the same video?
Seems like you are 200-250 feet above, not near anything.
What am I missing?

Reactions: Numone and eneilsen
totally not ragging on you (just learning).... when you say in the vid that "at this point I can't see the Phantom" doesn't that go against the VLOS restriction? I am just curious.

The drone was technically within VLOS, only about 100 feet away, but it was just out of my sight for a few seconds when it went behind the house and flew through the tree.

The drone was technically within VLOS, only about 100 feet away, but it was just out of my sight for a few seconds when it went behind the house and flew through the tree.
Since we are being technical, VLOS is within your actual VLOS...
If you didn't, or couldn't see it, it was out of VLOS, no matter how close it was to you.:cool:

Ok. So it went around the house and went behind a tall tree! It was out of my VLOS! Exactly what is your point? Are you going to arrest me?

The original post is someone asking how close people fly to things. I answered it and included a video of a close call. Now I'm sorry I did!

Ok. So it went around the house and went behind a tall tree! It was out of my VLOS! Exactly what is your point? Are you going to arrest me?

The original post is someone asking how close people fly to things. I answered it and included a video of a close call. Now I'm sorry I did!
Relax! You stated it "was technically within VLOS."
Just clarifying that VLOS means you must actually be able to see the aircraft. You agree with me. Point made. That's it. No value judgments at all by me being made about flying beyond VLOS! I do it all the time! It is an academic discussion only. :cool:

Last edited:
Originally I think, it was LOS. But the moon is LOS. So they added a V.

I think flying behind buildings or whatever could be something like XLOS just to remove any confusion...

Actually, the FAA addresses this specific situation. Only require that the pilot reacquire visual los again as soon as possible. They go on to say that the pilot is still responsible for avoiding other aircraft, etc.

Reactions: Great_Lakes
Two things to keep in mind when trying to get 'close'. First, any lag in video transmission might mean that you don't see that branch until after you hit it! And, similarly, any lag on sending controls signal to the bird or soft braking may increase the time and distance it takes the bird to respond.

Reactions: Apilot101
Two things to keep in mind when trying to get 'close'. First, any lag in video transmission might mean that you don't see that branch until after you hit it! And, similarly, any lag on sending controls signal to the bird or soft braking may increase the time and distance it takes the bird to respond.
Soft braking may be great for smooth video, but it's definitely risky for aircraft survival while using FPV. Ever hear of overdriving your headlights at night? Same thing!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj