How close is "too close" ?

Reaction score
Hi, we live in a very rural area, however in the field next to us we have a/ Low tension ,3 phase, overhead cabling for domestic and agricultural use. b/ approximately 400m away a pylon and associated cabling for National grid High Tension, 30,000v + I have been told? On reading the full manual is mentions not being "too close" to any power cables , high voltage, pylons or any electromagnetic effect, pretty certain the "domestic" LT cables will be safe 50m away, but what about the HT? Is 400m too close to calibrate compass ?

I have an EMF meter and I actually drove to some high power lines located about a mile north of my house and took measurements just out of curiousity. Directly under the wires, there was a clear indication of RF interference, but 100 yards away or so (horizontal distance) there was very little if any interference.

So my guess is you should be fine.

But what surprised me while I was standing on the side of the road there holding my EMF meter up like a super-geek, is that the meter flashed red every time a car went by! Cars apparently radiate quite a bit of RF.

Reactions: Brian T
Hi, we live in a very rural area, however in the field next to us we have a/ Low tension ,3 phase, overhead cabling for domestic and agricultural use. b/ approximately 400m away a pylon and associated cabling for National grid High Tension, 30,000v + I have been told? On reading the full manual is mentions not being "too close" to any power cables , high voltage, pylons or any electromagnetic effect, pretty certain the "domestic" LT cables will be safe 50m away, but what about the HT? Is 400m too close to calibrate compass ?
No-one can give you absolute numbers but 400m should be fine and for the lower voltage line you'd probably have no effect 5m away.
Be careful calibrating the compass. You don't need to do that every flight and unnecessary re-calibration brings the risk of getting a bad calbration if you do it in a bad location.
This thread explains what compass calibration is about and when you need to do it: Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: Brian T
Re Calibration: I was familiarising myself with the control and DJI GO, in one of the menu options is "Calibrate map coordinates (For mainland China)" and this is toggled "On" , should it be or is that one of the causes of "Fly away" syndrome? i.e; It's doing an ET and going home !

Thank you very much for your answers, I was thinking /hoping that was the case tbh. Re Cars and RF, yep quite a lot considering, less so now with alternators and electronic ignition, in the days of dynamos ,coils, condensers and all the other nasties that made the car fail to start on damp mornings if you wanted decent car radio reception interference free you went down the local car shop , and bought loads of resistors and "Chokes" ,one for each potential offender , 4 for spark leads, one for ht lead etc, otherwise it was ike a wasp in the car all the time. I'd hate to see what a Microwave is capable of?

I've been doing my first test flights in a playing field under some hi voltage lines, no problems thus far, even when i once got stupid close to them

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.