How Close is RTH Landing to Home?

Reaction score
I notice that on a normal RTH landing, my P3A lands as much as 8 feet from the home spot. Is this normal, or do I have a problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards, Jim

That's normal. GPS is not 100% accurate.

I notice that on a normal RTH landing, my P3A lands as much as 8 feet from the home spot. Is this normal, or do I have a problem?
RTH landing is going to be as close as consumer GPS technology will allow.
Much of the time that will be within 1.5-2 metres but it can be up to 3.5m sometimes.
However, you don't have to let RTH do the landing.
You can see a lot better than RTH and select a better landing spot 100% of the time so why wouldn't you cancel RTH and take the controls yourself for landing?

It depends on when North Korea is jamming non encrypted GPS signals..

Another good reason to mark your home point in an open clear area away from interference or obstacles.

RedHotPoker

In the city, l see 8-10 ft or a little better and in the country it is around 3-4 ft or better. I guess it depends mostly on open sky and more sats.

As stated. I land my self. Always within inches. I can land quicker and more accurate. Use rth to being it back sure. As it it landing. Take control. It's your bird. If you don't no one else will.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've heard a number of instances where the P4 will land exactly in the same place. Anybody with a P4 care to validate/invalidate the claim? Just curious more than anything.

That's down to GPS accuracy which is variable.
Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't.
That is what I thought but I have read from at least 3 different sources that the p4 lands exactly where it took off. If that is indeed the case, just wondering how it does it.

As stated. I land my self. Always within inches. I can land quicker and more accurate. Use rth to being it back sure. As it it landing. Take control. It's your bird. If you don't no one else will.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah, that is what I decided would be the best option. I can land just about exactly where I want. (The prop wash does move it around a little just before touch down.) I just wanted to know if my P3A was behaving normally or if I needed some adjustments.

Best regards, Jim

That is what I thought but I have read from at least 3 different sources that the p4 lands exactly where it took off. If that is indeed the case, just wondering how it does it.
P2, P3 or P4 will often land quite close, but sometimes be a little further away.
That's the nature of consumer grade GPS.
Your sources are guessing.
A survey grade GPS capable of consistently being that accurate would cost more that the Phantom.

Reactions: Tony Cowan

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost