Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. Drestin Black

A bit of a poll, how close does your return to home bring your P4?

I'll have 12+ satellites locked in and manually reset the Home point and off she goes, flys a bit and then I do a Return to Home.

I've had it come down 30 feet away - wtf! It can hover with such accuracy, go to way points miles away with great accuracy, track itself over a may with such accuracy.

Why is the return to home so far off? Is it just me?

2. alokbhargava

I have tried couple of times and got within about 10-12 feet. Never measured it but that's my guess. It's pretty close.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

3. Drestin Black

I think even 10-12 feet is too far off, don't you?

4. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's the accuracy of consumer GPS. Often within 2-3 feet, sometimes more but usually within 10 ft. GPS is only part of the position holding magic. The other sensors in the IMU do a lot of the work.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

5. Drestin Black

But what about accuracy for way points?
    This is something I haven't used yet - way points. if they can be off by as much as 30 feet -- whoa! I'd be afraid to use them in anything but wide open spaces. A lot of my work is within tighter quarters with hard things there to penalize me if I'm off...

6. KevMo Photog

If it's that tight on a few of your gigs I would fly it manual man. Is that a possible? But I have flown several Lithci missions and it was very good missing some shortish buildings by almost exactly the distance I set it to miss them. I was pretty impressed tbo!

7. FlyingPh@ntom

When you engage RTH within 20 of the homepoint it will land at the spot you engaged RTH at.

Dragonfly2016 likes this.
  8. Drestin Black

I know - this is when I've engaged RTH further away. It's been quite a bit off lately :(

9. Kman

GPS for civilian use is not pin point accurate. The government does that by design. Only military equipment gets pin point GPS accuracy.

Dragonfly2016 likes this.
  10. With The Birds

I suspect that is an old wives tale, I have heard it often. Many differential grade GNSS units will get you well within 1m consistently however cost a lot more. This would add significantly to what we currently pay for our phantoms.

11. Drestin Black

Not since Clinton, the cheater not the current liar, removed the civilian intentional "fuzziness" back on may 1, 2000. We get the exact same signal the military gets now.

Malcolm Reynolds likes this.
  12. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Consumer GPS is not pinpoint accurate .. but It's pretty good.
    30 feet is extreme and you would rarely see an error of that magnitude.
    Most of the time the error will be within 1.5-2 metres.

13. Dragonfly2016

Nah it's true. The built in error used to be about 10 meters. I'm not sure what it is now, but it's certainly better

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

WilsonFlyer likes this.
  14. Tenly

The government has the ability to add the fuzziness for non-military users back in whenever needed - such as in a time of war.

15. Tenly

I've noticed the same thing and even written up and submitted an enhancement request to DJI that would completely eliminate the issue.

My idea is for them to sell us a rubber mat landing pad - say 18" by 18" with a large DJI logo on it. The idea would be that we place the mat on the exact spot we want the Phantom to land. GPS RTH gets us close enough that the camera or vision positioning system can "see" our landing pad and then ignore the GPS data and land on the mat.

Their software already has the ability to recognize objects in the video. This would not be difficult for DJI to accomplish - and they could create a new revenue stream by selling it as an optional add-on accessory instead if including it for free in the box.

16. richpoolside

After doing a flight of 2000m I pressed return to home and it landed with in 1m from its take off mat .I was well impressed with it (18 satellites ) most of the flight .

17. tommyb888

Mine lands with 1-2 feet of take off point

18. N017RW

US Govt. says:

"Will SA ever be turned back on?
    The United States has no intent to ever use SA again. To ensure that potential adversaries do not use GPS, the military is dedicated to the development and deployment of regional denial capabilities in lieu of global degradation."

Furthermore current satellites in production and being launched into service beginning this year (GPS III) have no SA capability.

19. Monte55

I have a question. Why does a Phantom need so many satellites. When people say they have 12 sats, is the Phantom using info from all 12 at the same time. It only takes 3 satellites to get longitude, latitude , and altitude . Now I know that which three satellites it's getting info from will affect accuracy. In my handheld gps units, I can see which satellites it's locked onto and where they are located in the sky. How many channels is a Phantom gps receiver.?

jpasqua likes this.
  20. brothers

Civilian dithering of the GPS signal was turned off during the Clinton administration.