How can I take the ultimate selfie video?

Reaction score
I bought litchi and vertical studios and a p3p. What's the best way to say record a video of me holding a cup of coffee outside Starbucks and then zoom all the way out and up, WITHOUT having the RC be in the video?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I bought litchi and vertical studios and a p3p. What's the best way to say record a video of me holding a cup of coffee outside Starbucks and then zoom all the way out and up, WITHOUT having the RC be in the video?

Christ! your avatar pic freaked me out for a second!
You can program waypoints and camera settings in Litchi, and that would do it. Start the mission , have the bird fly and frame pic (give time to stash remote), then have it fly back and up while still pointing the camera at you. Since the GPS is not 0.1M accurate, give yourself plenty of altitude so you dont hit stuff - mind the buildings, light poles, wires, etc.

Practice setting it up where there are less hazzards. I would drop way points into the mission from the bird, not preprogram via the flight planner for the best accuracy and positioning.

The app you miss is the better one for this kind of video because has a selfie mode...it's for android and is called DJI Ultimate Flight V3

Christ! your avatar pic freaked me out for a second!
You can program waypoints and camera settings in Litchi, and that would do it. Start the mission , have the bird fly and frame pic (give time to stash remote), then have it fly back and up while still pointing the camera at you. Since the GPS is not 0.1M accurate, give yourself plenty of altitude so you dont hit stuff - mind the buildings, light poles, wires, etc.

Practice setting it up where there are less hazzards. I would drop way points into the mission from the bird, not preprogram via the flight planner for the best accuracy and positioning.

That's what I thought too. Hover above me and then fly back a few feet and then progressive go back and up but need to figure out attitude to avoid telephone poles/buildings/etc. Thanks.

The app you miss is the better one for this kind of video because has a selfie mode...it's for android and is called DJI Ultimate Flight V3

I'm iphone. [emoji17]

I asked pretty much the same question a few weeks back.
Someone pasted this from Litchi Cookbook:
Selfies are video recordings of a subject, typically yourself, in which the recording starts with a close-up of the subject and zooms out as the aircraft moves away from the subject, while keeping the camera focused on the subject.

There are several methods to doing a selfie. It can be done manually in FPV mode by simply hovering the aircraft in front of the subject while focused on the subject and then flying the aircraft backwards and up at the same time. This method works fine but may not maintain the subject in the center of the shot.

Doing a Selfie in Waypoint Mode

Set up Mission Parameters as desired
Set Default Waypoint Gimbal Pitch to "Focus POI"
Set Cruising Speed to 1. This is extremely important since that is the speed that the aircraft will fly as it tries to find the 1st WP.
Set RC Speed to the max speed you want for the selfie.
Set up Waypoints
Start up and fly your aircraft to where you want the selfie to begin at least 10 meters away from people,
Add a waypoint by one of the two following methods.
Deselect the Add POI Button (if it is selected) and press the aircraft icon in the map view or
Press a Custom Button that has been set to "Waypoint at Aircraft"
Fly your aircraft to where you want the selfie to go next, and add another waypoint.
Repeat this for as many waypoints as you want, always remembering to point the aircraft towards you and framing yourself in the video feed.
Fly the aircraft back toward the start of the selfie mission.
Set up POI. This will focus all your waypoints on yourself or any subject for that matter.
Place a POI at your location in one of the two following methods
Press the Add POI button and press the blue dot, which represents the location of the RC, on the map screen or
Press a Custom Button that has been set to "POI at Device".
Run the mission
Remember to push the RC switch to P (or S for Phantom 4) to cancel the mission.
Press Run.
Use the RC Pitch Stick (Forward/Back) to control the speed of the aircraft.

You're missing the simple solution. Have a third party operate the RC off camera. Sure, its no longer a "selfie," but is gets the job done with the least amount of hassle. It will also greatly increase the chances of getting the shot you want the first time around.

If something unforeseen happens, the extra person holding the RC can quickly drop into "manual" mode and may save you from a crash. If you don't have immediate access to the remote, you probably don't have time to avert the problem. Sounds like you may be dealing with tight tolerances. Waypoints and similar missions are not always exact, especially on altitude. You have to leave some margin, even between flights of the same saved flight path.

I agree setting up a mission with poi focus on you will give you the best results. Setting up correct speeds are very important. I just follow a simple logic of varying the speeds depending on the height / distance from the object in focus. 200' >>> 10 mph,,,,,100' >>>>> 5 mph, 50' >>> 2.5 mph and so on. It works for me.

I asked pretty much the same question a few weeks back.
Someone pasted this from Litchi Cookbook:
Selfies are video recordings of a subject, typically yourself, in which the recording starts with a close-up of the subject and zooms out as the aircraft moves away from the subject, while keeping the camera focused on the subject.

There is another way to do a selfie using Active Track. If you outline yourself and then hit GO, it will keep you in the frame as you increase altitude. I went up to 170 feet and it kept me in the center all the way up. Also if you use the right stick to go left or right, it will make a circle around you keeping the camera on you.

There is another way to do a selfie using Active Track. If you outline yourself and then hit GO, it will keep you in the frame as you increase altitude. I went up to 170 feet and it kept me in the center all the way up. Also if you use the right stick to go left or right, it will make a circle around you keeping the camera on you.
Do you have a sample video?

Last edited:
Not showing up on app so I'll try it later on a PC

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member