How big is the need for a big screen

From what I've read in other threads, most people seem to think a 7 inch screen is a good balance between what is easy to see vs what is too heavy or bulky.
I would say that depends on who you ask. I do wear glasses though so having the larger screen is better for me. I have a real nice setup that works really well. I tried the smaller devices and preferred the larger screen with more real estate. It all comes down to preference and that is something only you can can determine from hands on experience. Have fun.

Have iPhone6, iPad Air both worked well but to my old eyes phone too small and iPad seem too heavy to the rc holder. Which broke and i had to replace it. Now have samsung galaxy 8 inch and fits great. If you do not need to move or run with the rc ipad air is great but watch the rc holder.

Well I just ordered a Shield $199 was to good to pass up. So I will be able to give a real comparison of both devices and how they work for flying. Now I can ditch the old phone I was using to read sd cards..

Very sedate here, using an iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular with Smile.
The Smile is my own... Hahaha no grief, only grins. Chuckles

This device has been completely trouble or glitch free. Since day one, never had any remorse or concerns. Yes, replaced the splastic plastic OEM device holder for an Inspire 1 device holder, and all was well, once again, in North Hinterland.
I tried an iPad Mini 2 but mine got way overheated. And I feared I would toast it. So traded it up, for the Air 2 Cellular, and have never looked back. With built in heat sink, it stays Cool, like Ike.

RedHotPoker

Hey all

Using galaxy s5 5.1 inches for fpv. I want to buy something bigger, maybe a used Tab 4 which is 7 inches. But is it really that big of a difference? I know its a bit stupid question but ill formulate it this way - does it improve the quality and experience of flying? Or i can stick with my s5

I wanted a large bright screen too. I also wanted a tablet that would work with Windows just like a USB drive for transferring files back and forth easily. I bought a Samsung Tab S2 9.7 inch very bright display. It's their new display with an 8 core processor! Check it out before you buy. Works perfectly with both my Phantom P3Pro's.
KC7GHT

For an extra convenience and $45.00 expense, I might add a Ghost-Armor matte film to my Air 2 screen, to help alleviate the bright midday Sun star glare even more, than the factory Apple one, that is helpful, but not completely adequate. ;-)
As summer approaches, it's become more evident, that I want to have better visual connection to my screen. Even if the high noon Sun is directly overhead...

RedHotPoker

I usually use my Galaxy s6 for everyday type flight. I have on occasion used my 10.1 tablet with the extension. That is good for longer higher flights but not really all that better. The weight and size of that detracts from the bigger picture.

Very sedate here, using an iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular with Smile.
The Smile is my own... Hahaha no grief, only grins. Chuckles

This device has been completely trouble or glitch free. Since day one, never had any remorse or concerns. Yes, replaced the splastic plastic OEM device holder for an Inspire 1 device holder, and all was well, once again, in North Hinterland.
I tried an iPad Mini 2 but mine got way overheated. And I feared I would toast it. So traded it up, for the Air 2 Cellular, and have never looked back. With built in heat sink, it stays Cool, like Ike.

RedHotPoker
Can't say you are wrong. My Air2 has been flawless. I will have the Shield tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Get an iPad mini 3, wifi & Cellular. In my opinion it's one of the best screens and no lag at all. I read something about the iPad mini 2 overheating, with the iPad mini 3 never had that problem also never had a problem with battery life on the 3...

I haven't received my Phantom 3 Pro yet, expecting it this Thursday but I bought an iPad Mini 2 to accompany my drone. The screen size is perfect @ a diagonal of 7.9" it's all I need...

I agree bigger the better! It's like would you rather play your Xbox or PS3 on a 27" or a 65" TV. In fact if I could hook the p3 up to my big screen in my yard I would...anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use wifi iPad mini 2. Works perfect. No battery issues, no over heating, smooth as butter. I wouldn't want to go bigger. I think iPad mini is the perfect size

[QUI'm using E="t2adze, post: 747328, member: 49619"]Hey all

Using galaxy s5 5.1 inches for fpv. I want to buy something bigger, maybe a used Tab 4 which is 7 inches. But is it really that big of a difference? I know its a bit stupid question but ill formulate it this way - does it improve the quality and experience of flying? Or i can stick with my s5[/QUOTE]
Hi im using tab 3 10" not suppose to work but it does also s 4 cel small but works . Want tab a 8" . Tried it at the retail store, Dave, mikmouse.

IMO 7" is just right. I was using an Xperia Z3 tablet Compact for months until DJI updated the SDK to 3.0. Now it lags beyond belief so I've had to go back to my Nexus 6P. Not awful but definitely a step backwards. I'm really bummed about this tablet now. A paperweight pretty much.

I flew on the Nvidia Shield yesterday. I have an iPad Air 2. If you go with one of the larger iPads that's a great choice. If you go smaller than iPad I would go with the Shield not a mini. The Shield is awesome and the Android system is better with the 3rd party applications. Not to mention you can record your screen on the fly with the Shields built in recorder. Audio also is better on the Shield with the forward facing speakers. When you are done flying you can sync all your flight data automatically with the shield which is also a big plus. Then since the shield has a microSd slot you can actually review all of your media wherever you are. That comes in handy when you aren't at home or are on vacation. So comes down to what is most important to you. I have both and really not sure which one is better. But again if I was giving up screen real estate I would not go with iOS. I would go with an Nvidia Shield.

Using galaxy s5 5.1 inches for fpv. But is it really that big of a difference? I know its a bit stupid question but ill formulate it this way - does it improve the quality and experience of flying? Or i can stick with my s5
yes their is a huge difference between a tablet and a phone. It's night and day. If you just take off and fly around without making adjustments in the Air that may be ok. I am always going into the menus on the fly. That is an absolute pain in the a33 on a small screen. Bigger screen gives you more real estate to get through menus etc. It also allows you to see everything important. So yes at a minimum go to a small tablet.

I am using my Amazon Fire HDX 8.9 which is great except for the glare. Made a shade out of a cherrios box but still need to get the anti glare screen protector and hope that totally solves the problem.

As 'Not a Speck of Cereal' said - "iPad Air 2 here, not just for the eyes not being what they used to be, but more screen real estate means more accurate finger placement for mission planning, etc.". I have the Air 2 and the Samsung S2 for that very same reason - particularly as I use Litchi and Autopilot for mission planning. Both are light in weight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20