How best to mount compass with the Phantom 2 V+ landing gear removed

Reaction score
I need to fly my Phantom 2 V+ without landing gear/legs. Does anyone know how best to remount the compass and not have issues?

As to why I want to do this see this link. I want to do this with a Phantom 2 and not the 3DR Solo.

I would also be interested in what the best retractile gear is for the Phantom 2 V+ that is still available to purchase.

Thanks.

I have seen people make a short arm or even modify/shorten an existing leg. It must remain in the same orientation it is in on the leg, so you couldn't mount it sideways for example.

Here is a place that sells what you are describing. Also, note the compass mounted tight to the base plate - Electric Retractable Landing Gear for DJI Phantom 2 / Vision

Here is an example of what one person did...

IMG_1945_zps870e3c2c.jpg

Thanks for the responses!!! I think this is easy enough to DIY with the info, links and pictures posted.

Thanks again!

I bought a cheap retractable landing gear kit from ebay a few months ago. I think it was about 40 bucks from China. It worked well enough but I wanted it to be automated so I added a HC-SR04 distance sensor with an arduino nano. When it "sees" the ground at about 2 feet the gear will lower by itself. Anything over 2 feet and the gear goes up. I had a problem with rotor wash, the sensor was "seeing" the turbulent air under the props and giving me false triggers. I eventually got it squared away but then my next big problem was that when the gear was up, the servos had to hold the gear up, fighting the rotor wash. It decreased my flight time by 50%. It would be a lot better if you could somehow latch the gear up, so it stays up with no power. I think my experiment was a success (kind of) but it all came back off in a week and I got my flight times back.
Lesson learned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers