How AWESOME is THIS???

Reaction score
8680e01ee77aee87156c44ae244cdd9c.jpg

A screen pic of my B4UFly locale shows I'm on the edge of PHL TCA for takeoffs and approaches. Also, it looks like I've got a TON of heliports and small airports in my general vicinity!

NOW WHAT?

I'm not touching PHL TCA, although B4UFly advises me the space is Class A&B, so I'll be driving at least 1 mile south to get my airtime.

Do I need signed releases from all the other airports/heliports within my chosen 5-mile flight area?

Thanks for any help!

WS

PS I'm a hobbyist, not Part 107 Certified (yet [emoji846])

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Except for the Class B at PHL, you don't need signed releases from anyone. Class B requires prior authorization regardless of hobby or commercial. all the others, you are 'notifying them not asking for permission. Most of us make an honest attempt to contact helipad/ports, then let it go. regular airports, just call the airport or tower if they have one and give them your name, location, times and heights of intended flights. My local airport, about 1/2 the time I get their voicemail and leave a message. no issues when I do reach a live person.

8680e01ee77aee87156c44ae244cdd9c.jpg

A screen pic of my B4UFly locale shows I'm on the edge of PHL TCA for takeoffs and approaches. Also, it looks like I've got a TON of heliports and small airports in my general vicinity!

NOW WHAT?

I'm not touching PHL TCA, although B4UFly advises me the space is Class A&B, so I'll be driving at least 1 mile south to get my airtime.

Do I need signed releases from all the other airports/heliports within my chosen 5-mile flight area?

Thanks for any help!

WS

PS I'm a hobbyist, not Part 107 Certified (yet [emoji846])

So....how much do you want for your bird?:(

Thanks Rich! Perhaps I'll try to obtain written Class B Auth from PHL (400ft ceiling) so that I can fly in my town at various points of interest.

Oddly, one of the heliports belongs to a Sony plant that closed over a decade ago, I doubt I'll raise anyone there.

I guess I'll be building quite the database of small airport/heliport Controller contacts.

Safe Flights & Great Sights!
WS

Another question...

Will DJI GO even allow me to fly in proximity to these facilities???

It depends on if you are in a NFZ according to their map. If you are, you won't get off the ground - the props won't start. If this is the case, you'll need to be Part 107 and have an approved waiver or authorization for said airspace. DJI requires this documentation in order to unlock that area. I just went through all of this myself as I have to fly in Class D airspace in a spot that's a NFZ. Had to get a COA and unlocked by DJI.

Reactions: WSCorp65
Hey Numone,

Value added input for education and furtherance of the craft is always appreciated! Thanks!

Your last comment...not so much. Peace...

But before you go, I'd kindly ask the favor of your reply. Are you permitted to launch from your front yard?

SF&GS,
Sir Walter

Mods, please delete my 2 comments as "caustic"

It's my weakness to vigorously defend myself against insults. I'm sorry

Walt

Hey Numone,

Value added input for education and furtherance of the craft is always appreciated! Thanks!

Your last comment...not so much. Peace...

But before you go, I'd kindly ask the favor of your reply. Are you permitted to launch from your front yard?

SF&GS,
Sir Walter

LOL! You kind of opened yourself up for a sarcastic comment! I'm in the UK, so we don't have a "front yard" as such. I drive about 11 miles to my practice area, so I'd love to have an area that close to home. But that is one congested area you live in..

One more thing Numone, I live in a US town that dates back to the 1600's. Lotsa history here to photo and video aerially.
I'm a conscientious hobbyist with aspirations to achieve US Commercial Certification (Part 107), so I want to ensure my hobbyist flight logs (hard copy and digital) demonstrate my compliance to nothing but compliant, safe, authorized flights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav