How are you mounting your GPS tracker?

I have a Trackimo and I took the Velcro pad that came with it and cut it into strips. I put one strip on top of, and another strip below the indicator lights on the battery. That way I can still see the lights when it's charging or if I want to check the charge level. The Trackimo then just attaches to the Velcro strips and I can move it from battery to battery. Seems fairly secure.

Is there a need for a tracker on the P4? I had a Flytrex on my P3P, but with redundant systems on the P4 I didn't think it was necessary. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

a86ebba0effac628fb6decdb7a87e83e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi guys, I just recently bought the TK-102 tracker and thinking of various ways to mount it to my P3P without having to wait 4-5 weeks for bracket delivery to SA. So was thinking what if I mount it to the rear of my camera gimbal with strong velcro as per attached pics (just mounted with sticky tape for clarity). Would this have a negative effect on the gimbal with the addition of an extra 50grams? Aerodynamics I'm not too concerned about as its about the same height and width as the actual camera in front.

Attachments

• IMG_5498.JPG
    IMG_5498.JPG
    384.3 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_5499.JPG
    IMG_5499.JPG
    390.5 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_5500.JPG
    IMG_5500.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_5501.JPG
    IMG_5501.JPG
    357.9 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_5502.JPG
    IMG_5502.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 458
here is mine with the marco polo mounted to it.
Velcro and a couple of zip ties

Thanks Dirby, I'm trying to mount mine as central to the unit as possible, hence brainstorming and bouncing ideas off to you guys :)

I just velcro strap it to the leg, you?
I was thinking of doing that on some of my other birds.

I've always thought it would work well with the Phantom. Hobby grade Velcro is like super glue.

I did a battery mod on a Syma that made it so I could split the signal and put 3 bats on it. One inside and 3 on top. It weighs it down noticeably but it was just a test and it worked and I was forever amazed from then at how good hobby Velcro really is.

Thanks for the idea. With all the troubles I'm having with my latest one, I'll probably end up needing a tracker.

I use the velcro pad method mentioned above (comes with Trackimo) but then back it up with a velcro wrap around camera guard and trackimo and top it off with a tether attached to leg for added redundancy.

View attachment 51224

Mounting the tracker as shown, does this cause a drag to the left or imbalance to the drone?

Mounting the tracker as shown, does this cause a drag to the left or imbalance to the drone?
The drones flight board's #1 goal is to keep the bird straight so if it feels a pull on one side, it compensates with adding more lift to the other side. Same as wind.

I would think that I would want it in the middle though. Is there a reason for putting it there instead of dead center?

I was thinking would it be able to be not strapped but literally just Velcro on the top and on the trackimo. I don't think it would come off even at 50mph.

Like I said, I did that with 4 small bats on a Syma and I still throw that thing in the air on occasion. It's actually (for fun) my #2 drones (a couple x5sc, and x5c) behind the Phantoms.

Reactions: Faheem
The drones flight board's #1 goal is to keep the bird straight so if it feels a pull on one side, it compensates with adding more lift to the other side. Same as wind.

I would think that I would want it in the middle though. Is there a reason for putting it there instead of dead center?

I was thinking would it be able to be not strapped but literally just Velcro on the top and on the trackimo. I don't think it would come off even at 50mph.

Like I said, I did that with 4 small bats on a Syma and I still throw that thing in the air on occasion. It's actually (for fun) my #2 drones (a couple x5sc, and x5c) behind the Phantoms.

Thanks @Jussaguy I'll give it a try then and see what happens :)

Reactions: Jussaguy
Correct, it is. I checked out that option as well. There is not enough surface for mounting.
What you did looks great. Makes sense to put it on the gimbal guard. Make use out of something already there too.

Is there a reason you didn't put it in the middle?

Many of these trackers seem enormous. Any of you know of smaller solutions?

I have a Tile but I don't trust there's enough users in the UK for that to work (and it runs on Bluetooth, not gps :).

What you did looks great. Makes sense to put it on the gimbal guard. Make use out of something already there too.

Is there a reason you didn't put it in the middle?

It is fairly central on the rear of the gimbal, my initial question was if this would negatively effect the gimbal operation. Why I'm asking this is because when i switch my P3P on with the gimbal guard still attached, i get a message about gimbal being overloaded or something like that and the gimbal guard is much lighter than 50grams.

Many of these trackers seem enormous. Any of you know of smaller solutions?

I have a Tile but I don't trust there's enough users in the UK for that to work (and it runs on Bluetooth, not gps :).

The TK-102 is the smallest I could find here in SA. Unless you have 1 modified and fitted inside your drone and connect it to the power supply of the drone?

Reactions: Heathrow Terminal 2

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic