How are you doing in wind?

Reaction score
Hello Phantomers...:)

How are you guys doing wind video performance wise?

My setup is a very well working gimbal and with a no jello mount with 6 rubber thingies, also I did stabilize my propellers with one of them magnetic stabilizing tools.

I havnt been able to fly with no wind at all yet (denmaark), and I wanted to hear how you guys are doing when shooting videoes in wind? Can all our fantastic setups for perfect videos deal with wind? Or does it affect your videos?

I am uploading to youtube right now I will link my latest video here. It seems that I have some kinda shaking going on. My no jello mount is quite hard not sloppy at all. How are your experiences with sloppy mounts?

Also I did spraypaint my propellers upper side to make them stabilized, what do you think about doing it so?

Thanks

The best advice I can give if you want to grab good quality video when it's windy, is to use ATT mode, not GPS. When the GPS mode is trying to hold the Phantom still in wind the thing pitches and rolls a lot.
What I do in these conditions is fly upwind, orientate the Phantom and then let it drift through the position I want to video from, if it's a specific shot.

In addition to Marcus reply, in GPS mode you'll drop the battery faster because continous position corrections, so shorter flight / videoing time :( .
Also, Wind is your friend.... check wind direction, go to opposite side and let wind push suddenly your phantom while you are concentred in filming... and sure you won't need to push sticks forward ;)

I couldn't wait till none wind day, and now already tested this:

My story shortly... I bought a gimbal from ebay, the short one http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-Gop ... 232f8500a9

The anti jello mount seemed very loose for me and I read somewhere that they may not be too loose. So I used another anti jello mount that came with my new landing gear... this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-landing ... 3cd4edaf3c

But for the landing gear.... was waaay to shaky and just added weight and shakiness to the whole setup. So now I got back to what I should have tried first. The anti jello mount with the gimbal it came with, with the original landing gear.

My conclusion: Anti jello mounts means the world. The mount that came with the gimbal just works way better. Completely removed everything I thought came from the windy weather, and now I have real smooth video even in really high wind. Ofcourse the wind still makes it shake abit more, but the quality just raised so much with that other mount.

The importance of a good jello mount means so much. I can only give thumbs up to both the mount and gimbal from china http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-Gop ... 232f8500a9

I think in GPS mode ground speed is limited to 10m/s but the phantom can go quite a bit faster then this. Down wind it tends to slow it down a little and into the wind I think the NAZA will give it more pitch angle to fight the wind. In ATTI mode you can go much faster as the only limits on speed are the max pitch angle and basically how much lift your setup generates. In atti as there is altitude hold it wont let it pitch beyond a set limit and it will only pitch to this max limit or to an angle where it can still also hold altitude.

The heavier the phantom and also depending on the props used will have a fairly big effect on top speed and then also the max wind speed you can fly in. If you are too heavy and under propped it will struggle to maintain any sort of pitch angle without losing altitude so this will greatly limit its max speed. You really want to have a fair idea of your setups max speed and never fly in winds stronger then this, if the wind is stronger then its max speed its never going to come back into the wind. The max speed is all relative to your own setup so this is something you need to be sure of before flying in the wind. Best to have at least 20kmh more speed then max wind gusts and be aware wind will be much stronger the higher you go most of the time.

Flying manual on the other hand has no limits as you control pitch and throttle 100% but also the obvious limits of lift and pitch angle apply. Pitch too far it will drop unless you add throttle to a point where it loses lift. This will generally allow higher top speeds as the pitch angles can be much more extreme.

For stable footage using a gimbal is about the only way to get cinematic type footage in any wind as you need to pitch into wind to even hold a hover. Winds are gusty so this means lots of little corrections but as others have said you can use the wind for some cool shots in atti mode letting it drift with the wind. Manual will give you the smoothest flying in any conditions but this is quite a bit more advanced and if flying FPV using a gimbal then dont ever fly manual mode from stabilized footage. If you cant see what the craft is doing you will crash very quickly in this mode.

Most of the good gimbals will give pretty good results in winds to 40kmh in a phantom, but with the larger pitch angles you will need to take this into account as it will more likely get arms, props or landing gear in the shot when smashed around by the wind.

I have found its possibly to get fairly smooth footage of fast flying in the wind using manual mode with no gimbal but only a gimbal can give those smooth cinematic type shots. The calmer it is the easier it will always be but with the gimbal set up properly you should be able to get good results in a fair amount of breeze.

justsomeguy said:
Adjustment needed?

Looks like you are hitting limits on the gimbal when flying forward into the wind with aggressive throttle. Notice the jerks at 1:38 and 2:47 for example.

you might want to play around with adding some foam earplugs to supplement the rubber bumpers as there is still some bounciness (not jello though) that I usually don't see on gimbal footage. 1:21 for example.

What mode were you flying in?

Ya well maybe it can be even better :) remember that I was flying in much wind and also in GPS mode. Those two examples you mention is actually because I have replaced the gyro board underneath the gimbal, and if I quickly move backwards with the quad, it hits a place on the gimbal so that it replace itself.. something I needa change.

I will see how it goes in less wind, and maybe look into the earplug thing if not yet satisfied.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31