Hovering with a slight tilt.

Reaction score
It seems to me that after my Phantom 3 Adv. lifts off and hovers the ship seems to be at a slight tilt, I'm not sure why this is, I thought it could be the ship compensating for the wind but it didn't seem to be that windy, I wonder how much wind it would take to have that effect on it.
If anyone has any way the ship would have such a gangsta lean please help.

Thank you

Try doing an IMU calibration. Find a quiet, level spot preferably somewhere cool, I use a spot on my basement floor and let it sit for 20-30 min to cool down. If you don't have a cool spot, find room in the frig for 15-20 min. Once cool, place it on your level spot, turn everything on and quicKay go to IMU cal in the go app. You want the calibration to start before the IMU goes through too much of its warmup cycle. Once calibrated, not a bad idea to go ahead and do a gimbal cal too.

If your bird is tilted and not moving it is compensating for the wind or even a slight breeze, thats normal and it is working the way it should. The bird can't remain still when it's tilted if it does not have something to push against. The only way it could be tilted and not move would be if the motors would be misaligned and that would be very unlikely. Even unbalance in weight will be compensated by a motor(s) to maintain position. In a perfectly zero wind condition they will hover flat.

Last edited:
If your bird is tilted and not moving it is compensating for the wind or even a slight breeze, thats normal and it is working the way it should. The bird can't remain still when it's tilted if it does not have something to push against. The only way it could be tilted and not move would be if the motors would be misaligned and that would be very unlikely. Even unbalance in weight will be compensated by a motor(s) to maintain position. In a perfectly zero wind condition they will hover flat.
I strongly suspect that even a misaligned motor would be compensated for (within the limits of the available thrust differences that might be commanded by the FC!) to maintain position, even with vertical displacement of the mounting the bird would still be level when stationary....

What the OP describes is completely normal. If you t/o and hover indoors, without doubt it'll be completely horizontal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4