Hovering / take off and landing

Reaction score
I just received a phantom 2 for Christmas. The first two flights were great but now when I take off it immediately starts moving forward and will not hover. This is also true when I land which means it does a slight crash. Is there a way to correct this?

Thanks for any help you are offer to a rookie.

Did you read the manual ?
Did you do the firmware updates?
Did you calibrate the compass etc etc etc

I am also new to this, but if you are flying in GPS mode you probably need to remember the Phantom will "generally" stay within the expected area you want it to hover, however there is a "bubble" of about 2.5 meters laterally and about 1 meter up/down that you should/will expect some drift within. That is pretty **** good for the amount of $$$ a Phantom costs.

What positions are your switches in prior to take off ?

What pre flight checks do you do ?

Just a couple of things come to mind here:
Is there any damage to your props from tipping over? Are your switches both all the way forward?
Have you checked the transmitter stick calibration on the computer? Make sure the sticks have full range and center properly before you try again.
I'd also recommend hand catching once you have a steady hover. I bring the bird in facing away and downwind from me, about 6 feet high, grab the battery and pull the throttle all the way down. The props will stop in about 3 seconds if you hold it steady. Then make sure you have turned off the video recording before turning off the bird. :)

Fplvert said:
Just a couple of things come to mind here:
Is there any damage to your props from tipping over? Are your switches both all the way forward?
Have you checked the transmitter stick calibration on the computer? Make sure the sticks have full range and center properly before you try again.
I'd also recommend hand catching once you have a steady hover. I bring the bird in facing away and downwind from me, about 6 feet high, grab the battery and pull the throttle all the way down. The props will stop in about 3 seconds if you hold it steady. Then make sure you have turned off the video recording before turning off the bird. :)

+1 to all of this... Except I am not a fan of hand catching (just not for me after being into rc heli's for so long.. But I get why people do it) :)

:D
Flying from a site like this, you will be glad to know how to hand catch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 621
Fplvert said:

Looks like a great place to fly...and if you have a hard time putting a Phantom down gently I would say you need more practice with a micro quad.

Mareva said:
when I take off it immediately starts moving forward and will not hover.
Could be lots of things - more information required or you will only get guesses.

Can you explain what you are seeing better?
When hovering the Phantom has a degree of movement - how much are you seeing?
You do not mention GPS satellites. Without GPS sat lock, your Phantom will drift but maintain height.
GPS reception will be affected by things that block your horizon at low altitude - buildings, trees etc.
Explain the satellite status of your bird.
Compass calibration also has the potential to have an impact - have you calibrated your compass?

sdtrojan said:
Fplvert said:

Looks like a great place to fly...and if you have a hard time putting a Phantom down gently I would say you need more practice with a micro quad.
:lol:
Here's one from closer to home. The only safe way to land without tipping over is hand catching. My other concern is picking up magnetic particles in the motors. Been there done that with my P2V. Seeing my bird suddenly fall 330' in 10.5 seconds is not something I need to practice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 492
I'm going to start with some assumptions. Tell me if I'm wrong because things will be very different if I am.
If you got it new, I doubt you've changed it from basic Phantom mode to Naza mode yet.
I also doubt you've downloaded the Assistant software and connected it or your controller to the PC.
I'm hoping your props are still in good order and that you have the black ones on the black motors and silver ones on silver motors.
You should keep at least one spare set of props on hand and don't use broken, chipped or split props.
You haven't said if it's a Vision or with no camera attached. I'll assume a Vision.
I'll assume you've installed the phone app.

Important to do asap:
First: Read the manuals.. all of them.
Second: Watch some Youtube instruction videos
Third: Get into a pre-flight and post-flight routine

Preflight (for new flyers with a new Phantom):
1. Check props and batteries
2. Remove camera protection (cage, lens cap etc)
3. Turn on controller and wifi extender
4. Turn on your Phantom
5. Wait and watch the lights until you get GPS lock.. fast flashing green
6. Turn on your phone and connect it to your Phantom's wifi
7. Once connected and with GPS locked, calibrate your compass (if you don't know how, find the Youtube clip)
8. With GPS locked and compass calibrated, you're ready.. make sure it's facing away from you
9. Lift-off: don't gently ease it up.. full throttle until it's at least a few feet off the ground - eye level is good

Post-flight
1. Stop the video first!!
2. Turn off the Phantom battery (some even suggest removing it in case you don't turn it off by mistake)
3. Turn off phone app, controller and wifi extender
4. Check props and body for damage
5. Replace camera protection (lens cap, gimbal cage)

Beautiful and ouch!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub