Hover

Reaction score
Good Morning Guys...

Ive done some research here for a couple of weeks with mixed results. Many opinions.

I know you Veterans are probably going to chastise me for asking. Sorry if I offend.

Ive got a V.1.1.1 Firmware 2.0

I am probably wasting time, but I calibrate the compass every day I fly. Ive incorporated in my pre flight checks.

I initially lift off to about 10 feet, every time to ensure GPS lock and hover. (Yes..GPS...Im such a noob...lol)

As I hover, The Phantom makes a clockwise rotation about 10' in diameter. Every full rotation, the diameter gets larger, and larger. Usually after 3-4 rotations, the diameter of the circle is about 20'

Ive checked all calibrations. All are factory spot on. Tried brand new 8" and 9" props. same results.

Im trying to keep the hover as tight as possible in gps mode. Im going to be FPV-ing between rows of Giant trees and for obvious reasons, dont want to be kissing branches.

Is there anything else I can check or be missing?

Thanks in advance guys!

-Rich

I have had that happen a few times...I have narrowed it down to wind...

When it has happenned the wind 7-15 mph with gusts to 20-25mph at ground level.

What was the wind speed?

Whiteram said:
Ive checked all calibrations. All are factory spot on.

Does this mean you checked the compass mod value in the Assistant software? The type of behavior you're seeing sounds like it would be related to bad/conflicting compass readings.

Is the location where it flies like that the same place it's flown normally in the past?

very light wind if any at all. 2mph at times. last night, was dead calm

OI Photography: yes. The phantom was shipped from New Mexico. I live in NY. As soon as I received it, I downloaded 2.0 software (This was 3 months ago) and calibrated to include compass.

Had to find my notes but here are my last values:

x: -191 y: -135 z: +16 MOD: 1648

Since calibration, Ive flown it 10-12 times. same are +/- couple hundred feet.

I suppose its possible to have a bad compass?

BTW...Thanks Guys..

If you mean alibration through DJI software, yes. When I update firmaware, I go through full calibration...

Whiteram said:
If you mean alibration through DJI software, yes. When I update firmaware, I go through full calibration...

No, you don't have to use the Assistant ;) . You perform this on your TX alone.
From page A5 Advance manual:

1. Set the switch S2 at the OFF position, and the switch S1 at the GPS position

2. Push the Throttle stick to the top position, and push the Pitch stick to the top position. Keep the Pitch
stick at the top position manually since it can return to the central position when released.

3. Turn on the Power Switch of the transmitter, you should hear the indicator sound of “Di
Di Di” from the transmitter repeatedly. Toggle the switch S2 to the CL position, you should hear an indicator
sound of “Di” from the transmitter, in this case, the transmitter has entered the calibration mode.
(During this period, the Throttle stick and the Pitch stick must be kept at the top position all the time.)

4. Release the Pitch stick and pull the Throttle stick to the central position. Toggle the switch S1 to the
ATTI position; you should hear an indicator sound of “Di” from the transmitter. Then move all of the
sticks throughout their complete range several times. After this, put the Throttle stick to the bottom
position, and toggle the switch S2 to the HL position, you should hear an indicator sound of “Di” from
the transmitter, in this case, the transmitter has been calibrated successfully.

Ok. Gotchya . I read this as well. Thus us calibration of the controller. The phantom circles without controller input. I ruled this out but the more I think about it, you might be on to something here. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try tonight. Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanasit said:
Whiteram said:

No, you don't have to use the Assistant ;) . You perform this on your TX alone.
From page A5 Advance manual:

1. Set the switch S2 at the OFF position, and the switch S1 at the GPS position

2. Push the Throttle stick to the top position, and push the Pitch stick to the top position. Keep the Pitch
stick at the top position manually since it can return to the central position when released.

3. Turn on the Power Switch of the transmitter, you should hear the indicator sound of “Di
Di Di” from the transmitter repeatedly. Toggle the switch S2 to the CL position, you should hear an indicator
sound of “Di” from the transmitter, in this case, the transmitter has entered the calibration mode.
(During this period, the Throttle stick and the Pitch stick must be kept at the top position all the time.)

4. Release the Pitch stick and pull the Throttle stick to the central position. Toggle the switch S1 to the
ATTI position; you should hear an indicator sound of “Di” from the transmitter. Then move all of the
sticks throughout their complete range several times. After this, put the Throttle stick to the bottom
position, and toggle the switch S2 to the HL position, you should hear an indicator sound of “Di” from
the transmitter, in this case, the transmitter has been calibrated successfully.

What manual is this from :"From page A5 Advance manual"? I looked in NAZA-M and the DJI Vision+ latest manuals.
Thanks

Whiteram said:
Good Morning Guys...

Ive done some research here for a couple of weeks with mixed results. Many opinions.

I know you Veterans are probably going to chastise me for asking. Sorry if I offend.

Ive got a V.1.1.1 Firmware 2.0

I am probably wasting time, but I calibrate the compass every day I fly. Ive incorporated in my pre flight checks.

I initially lift off to about 10 feet, every time to ensure GPS lock and hover. (Yes..GPS...Im such a noob...lol)

As I hover, The Phantom makes a clockwise rotation about 10' in diameter. Every full rotation, the diameter gets larger, and larger. Usually after 3-4 rotations, the diameter of the circle is about 20'

Ive checked all calibrations. All are factory spot on. Tried brand new 8" and 9" props. same results.

Rich

Try reloading factory defaults (via tools in assistant software) - then do advanced IMU calibration, stick calibration and compass cal. Also might try the "magnet to compass" as per DJI to get compass #s down to around 1300.

EMCSQUAR said:
Also might try the "magnet to compass" as per DJI to get compass #s down to around 1300.

Would the Asst Software not indicate that the compass was out of calibration? I took a magnetized screwdriver to my first compass and experienced the drifting behavior, but my software never indicated a problem. I forced a calibration which solved the problem.

Don't know if I am just having a senior moment.........but

Should not a v1.1.1 be running firmware 4.02? And if the OP has v2.0 must he not be running the wrong assistant?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20