Houston Fliers are ya out there??

Hi, this is my first post. I got a phatom 1 yesterday as a gift. I felt like a little kid, I was so excited. I always buy those $40 RC copters from fry's, but this is the real deal. I haven't even put the rotors on or charged the battery. It looks complicated, but i'm good at stuff like this. If anyone has any tips for a newbie, let me know.

BTW, I live near Braes Bayou inside the loop.

ATOMSK said:
Hi, this is my first post. I got a phatom 1 yesterday as a gift. I felt like a little kid, I was so excited. I always buy those $40 RC copters from fry's, but this is the real deal. I haven't even put the rotors on or charged the battery. It looks complicated, but i'm good at stuff like this. If anyone has any tips for a newbie, let me know.

Hey there, where near Braes? I live next to U of H. My tip to you, stay clear of trees, light poles, buildings, etc. I tried flying in my neighborhood but it scared the crap out of me, too many trees. I plan on taking it to Discovery Green Park next, or maybe Herman Park and flying it by Miller Outdoor Theater. Maybe today after work.

Pico de Gallo said:
ATOMSK said:

Hey there, where near Braes? I live next to U of H. My tip to you, stay clear of trees, light poles, buildings, etc. I tried flying in my neighborhood but it scared the crap out of me, too many trees. I plan on taking it to Discovery Green Park next, or maybe Herman Park and flying it by Miller Outdoor Theater. Maybe today after work.

I live near that park on Stella Link. It's fairly open over there. That's where I plan on doing my first flight. Maybe saturday. I'm taking tonight to set it up.

So, I know this isn't the right section, but I wanted to ask the locals first about some quick newbie questions. You can answer or just direct me where to find newbie faq. I've done some searching, but haven't found much.

Last night, I got it all set up and put rotor guards on, and installed the drivers and the Naza software. I got the phantom hooked up to naza and it appeared that everything was up to date right out of the box. I did a rotor test and looked at the settings. There is so much stuff on there, is this something you use often or what?

I'm going to do my first flight tomorrow!

Well, I got the itch. Knowing it was ready to go waiting at home I flew it on my lunch break in the front yard. It grabbed the satellites pretty quick, and then I calibrated the compass. I have no idea if I needed to or if I did it right. it was laying on the ground and I picked it up and rotated it as shown on various youtube videos. The LED never changed from it's original green blinking...

Anyway, I powered it up and had it take off to about 5' and let it hover. It was pretty stable. I shoved it and tried rotating it by hand, and it seemed to fight back and correct. The Phantom, for the most part, stayed in the exact same spot. I flew it down the street some to piss off the neighbors dogs and brought it back. I weaved in and out of the light poles. I sorta wish I had the Vision on this. Mine came with a mount for a gopro, which I have, but I haven't put it on yet.

I did get too close to the ground near a hill in my yard and it grabbed on the tall grass and flipped upside down. I walked over to it pick it up and was surprised to see no damage and it actually tried to take off out of my hand. After that battery wore out I popped in the spare and got use to the controls. I'm going to put my go pro in it tomorrow and take some vids.

New owner of vision 2 plus. Looking for other phantom pilots to meet up and share information/tips. I Live in The Woodlands and have only a couple flights so far, but must add that the vision plus with FPV is awsome.

New vision 2+ owner up in Porter. Lots of space to fly around up here and finding new ones all the time...hope to see some of yall Houston folk out there soon!

FlyingFanta said:
SBamp said:
New phantom owner in Humble area...
Got it for Christmas - what a surprise from my wife! And after much grumbling and cursing (because I couldn't get it to work for three days). Finally my son found the solution on your forum... and problem solved. Nowhere in the manuals or wikis does it mention how to start the motors!!! Go figure. Now a happy flyer.

Lots of good locations to fly in Kingwood or Lake Houston area! Do you have any footage posted?

Where in Kingwood?

ATOMSK said:
I live near that park on Stella Link. It's fairly open over there. That's where I plan on doing my first flight. Maybe saturday. I'm taking tonight to set it up.

Which park on Stella Link? ...like this one just north of the bayou?

[vimeo]85119293[/vimeo]

mikeg26 said:
FlyingFanta said:
SBamp said:
New phantom owner in Humble area...
Got it for Christmas - what a surprise from my wife! And after much grumbling and cursing (because I couldn't get it to work for three days). Finally my son found the solution on your forum... and problem solved. Nowhere in the manuals or wikis does it mention how to start the motors!!! Go figure. Now a happy flyer.

Lots of good locations to fly in Kingwood or Lake Houston area! Do you have any footage posted?

Where in Kingwood?

There are some open areas near Lake Houston in Kings River that are nice.

Also the town center park and ride parking lots is great on the weekends.

ATOMSK said:
I did get too close to the ground near a hill in my yard and it grabbed on the tall grass and flipped upside down. I walked over to it pick it up and was surprised to see no damage and it actually tried to take off out of my hand. After that battery wore out I popped in the spare and got use to the controls. I'm going to put my go pro in it tomorrow and take some vids.

The Phantoms are built like flying tanks especially if you're using prop guards. Here's a parking garage run where I run almost full steam into a cement column. I didn't even break a prop!

[vimeo]96535155[/vimeo]

This weekend was my first few flights with my new Phantom 2. Definitely still getting used to this. Will primarily use this thing as a cinematography tool. Would love to get together and fly with a few of you more experienced fellas to get some ideas, etc. maybe I could contribute by shooting some neat behind the scenes footage of you guys for you to have and enjoy. Anyone interested? How do y'all typically arrange flight meets anyway?

FlyingFanta said:
ATOMSK said:

The Phantoms are built like flying tanks especially if you're using prop guards. Here's a parking garage run where I run almost full steam into a cement column. I didn't even break a prop!

[vimeo]96535155[/vimeo]

You video's are really cool. Why do you have that time lapse one of the construction? Is that outside your window?

ATOMSK said:
You video's are really cool. Why do you have that time lapse one of the construction? Is that outside your window?

Oh thanks.

Yeah, I just put together the individual photos for a friend.

FlyingFanta said:
ATOMSK said:

Oh thanks.

Yeah, I just put together the individual photos for a friend.

Where do you usually fly? It'd be fun to meet up one day.

ATOMSK said:
ATOMSK said:

Where do you usually fly? It'd be fun to meet up one day.

I typically fly at parks in town. I've met up with some of the folks here and also some others on a different forum.

PM me and I'll let you know if any meet ups get setup.

Anyone up for some Labor Day weekend flying? I flew around and took some video at Herman Park the other day. Took off from the hill by Miller Outdoor Theater. It was pretty cool, except for my SD card had an error and I lost the footage from the first flight.

I have family plans Sunday and Monday, but Saturday is wide open (for now).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20