Hours until deadline. ..who has not Registered

Personally, I appreciate the debate and the different points of view.

I thought that's what it was ALL about :)

Some obviously have vastly different view points, but we're still a Democracy and while I may not like what others say, they certainly are as entitled to speak up as anyone else....

If everyone agreed, forums would be unnecessary and rather dull.
It just needs to stay cordial. I've lost my cool a few times, but I realize it only make me look ignorant so I do my best to refrain. It's no secret that I'm not fond of big government. I prefer responsible people taking responsibility for their own actions.

Gentlemen... We need to keep this civil. If you're not capable of keeping it civil, rest assured I am... No personal attacks. You can agree to disagree, but please do so as gentlemen...

-slinger

Reactions: cactusfrog
GoodnNuff...you liked Jason's not so polite post directed at me.

"liking" a personal attack is almost like making it in a way.

C'mon. You're bigger than that.

GoodnNuff...you liked Jason's not so polite post directed at me.

"liking" a personal attack is almost like making it in a way.

C'mon. You're bigger than that.
Yes, but I refrained from telling you how sick I am of your posts.
Look back at what you have posted over the past 8-12 weeks - it is 99% anti-government and anti FAA rants. I think the whole damned forum knows very well how you feel. I'm tired of reading about. You need to move on and not attack me for liking a post.
I'm starting to cringe whenever I see you've posted.

When I was a kid, I always thought I'd end up living in the US. Fate, work and luck allowed me to make a life somewhere else, and amazingly enough, this "Banana Republic," "Lawless Society" and "Third World Backwater" now has more personal freedoms and certainly less restrictions in general than the "Land of the Free." In the words of my buddy Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (thanks Colbert for bringing him back last night!) the FAA registration is just perfect... for me to poop on!

I do not feel the need to register my "toys" with the Feds

I generally feel the government does not do things simply to make us safer.
Generally it does things to make revenue or exert unnecessary or unConstitutional control, with "public safety" as the front. While most were predictably suckered in by the $5.00 "early sucker fee refund", I'm pretty sure that this whole thing was designed to make money eventually. It wouldn't surprise me if drone operator fines end up financing the FAA and then some. After all, there are more drone operators now than pilots by a wide margin. And the FAA can't afford to lose it's pilots in significant numbers....but drone operators, lol, you are 100% expendable.

IMO, This was just another government trick, power/money grab. Nearly 45,000 people were killed in auto accidents in 2015. Yet no "significant" laws pertaining to one rising cause (texting while driving) has been introduced in the 50 states. Only a few weak ones. Why?
Drunk driving, one of the MAJOR known causes of auto related fatalities that wrecks tens of thousands of lives annually has maximum fines of 10,000 in most states. I have personally seen people caught over the legal limit and released by LEOs. (madness)

Meanwhile, how many deaths related to drones have occurred? None. Yet the FINE for being caught flying an un-registered toy can reach $250,000??....while the fine for being caught texting while driving maxes out at $150 in most states with little or no enforcement.
This is pure, in your face, unadulterated madness folks.

Beginning December 21, 2015, the FAA will require all drones ("SUA" in FAA terminology) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds to be registered before operating outdoors. Failure to register can result in stiff penalties, which can include fines of up to $27,000 or, where criminal liability has been found, a fine of up to $250,000 and up to three years in jail.

These penalties are stiffer than standard maximum Drunk driving AND Texting While Driving fines COMBINED !!

If you don't find this odd, I question you. You've been had....willingly in most cases. THIS is prima facie evidence of government gone awry. Who, in their right mind, can argue this?

Will it stop morons from doing stupid things? Sure it will. because "morons" and "idiots" are known to follow rules and terrorist always follow regulations. I could explain what could have been done instead, but this post is already too long.

Let's see what happens over the next 12 months in terms of people being fined for all kinds of silly infractions now that authorities can nail the owner. We've already seen the FAA's willingness to levy a 1.9 MILLION dollar fine for simply flying a drone without hurting anyone and $10,000 fine for another so they DEFINITELY are seeing a cash cow. Should be interesting. The scariest part of ALL of this for me is the number of people who eagerly jumped on the "chance" to register.

My drones are parked as of today. The law "might" be amended to include and enforce registration for simple ownership soon tho.

Obviously, I'm not happy with this ;)

Good for you brother! I had thought about doing this also, but I decided to register because of the promise that they are coming out with rules for commercial use in March, and that I thought maybe if you weren't registered first, they would have something to say.

More power to you!

At what size is it no longer a toy? You reference the SkyPan lawsuit as some sort of going concern. As if by registering, you make yourself vulnerable to such a case. Maybe. Maybe if you flew repeated flights with heavy lift drones in class B airspace over New York City. Repeatedly. For years. Defying warning after warning. Sure.

You're saving yourself $5 and some sort of privacy concern (I am not sure what) for the risk oh a huge penalty. Doesn't make sense. So what tangible risk is there to registering? What does that expose you to? Specifically. As in quantifiable risk. Saying it's the first step to taking our drones away is unfounded paranoia. If there were precedent, sure. I know of none.

And if you think the FAA can make money on a $5 registration, you don't really know how government works.

And to all, let's just settle down a touch. Personal attacks will be met with the big red ban button!

Reactions: N017RW
Yes, but I refrained from telling you how sick I am of your posts.
Look back at what you have posted over the past 8-12 weeks - it is 99% anti-government and anti FAA rants. I think the whole damned forum knows very well how you feel. I'm tired of reading about. You need to move on and not attack me for liking a post.
I'm starting to cringe whenever I see you've posted.

But, you're not too tired to keep reading them apparently.

And BTW, I'm NOT anti-government......I'm anti-"over-bearing, unnecessary" government. Big difference. There are a few areas where Federal government is necessary....Military protection is one. But when government begins to tread on every single aspect of ones life, it's gone too far.
There are plenty of current examples of this.

You are not obligated to read ANY of my posts, in fact, please use the Ignore button and just ignore my posts. It would be best considering you can't stop reading my posts yet are totally wrung out over them.

Also, Most of my post have nothing to do with government, I guess you missed all my posts having to do with helping people with Phantom Questions or posting upgrades etc to mine? Missed all that?

You're fine with opinions...as long as they agree with yours? Got it.

PS...Instead of expressing your disgust publicly you're invited to PM me....anytime.
I don't think I'd have any trouble handling you in any discussion but let's not bore or insult everyone with our own bitterness ;)

Last edited:
The site needs a legal debate forum so when a thread takes the inevitable vector it can be relocated.

Reactions: InkyRisk
When I was a kid, I always thought I'd end up living in the US. Fate, work and luck allowed me to make a life somewhere else, and amazingly enough, this "Banana Republic," "Lawless Society" and "Third World Backwater" now has more personal freedoms and certainly less restrictions in general than the "Land of the Free." In the words of my buddy Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (thanks Colbert for bringing him back last night!) the FAA registration is just perfect... for me to poop on!

No surprise here. With freedom comes consequences. There are consequences of living in a free society. It isn't as safe, and things can happen to you. You have to accept that. Of course, now a days no one is responsible for their own actions, and everyone seeks safety, so that there is no risk in life. The consequences are there are being coming less and less personal liberties, and people just blindly accept that.

"it is only this...." "It is only that...." and then one day people realize they are miserable, under someone total control, and it is too late.

Freedom is important. It used to be taught in schools. Now a days it no longer is.

At what size is it no longer a toy? You reference the SkyPan lawsuit as some sort of going concern. As if by registering, you make yourself vulnerable to such a case. Maybe. Maybe if you flew repeated flights with heavy lift drones in class B airspace over New York City. Repeatedly. For years. Defying warning after warning. Sure.

You're saving yourself $5 and some sort of privacy concern (I am not sure what) for the risk oh a huge penalty. Doesn't make sense. So what tangible risk is there to registering? What does that expose you to? Specifically. As in quantifiable risk. Saying it's the first step to taking our drones away is unfounded paranoia. If there were precedent, sure. I know of none.

And if you think the FAA can make money on a $5 registration, you don't really know how government works.

And to all, let's just settle down a touch. Personal attacks will be met with the big red ban button!

The $5.00 is not going to hurt anyone financially.
But like I said, it would make it easier down the road to fine you, if for example, your drone glitched and flew into a restricted area.
My main point also was the SIZE of the fines. They're grossly disproportionate. Do you disagree on that one point?

We both are speculating and voicing opinions granted.
In time we may find that very few fines are levied. Or we may find otherwise.

STILL, the size of the potential fines is frightening. They are much less for far more proven deadly and frequent causes of deaths such as drunk driving as I pointed out. How did they come up with the massive fines related to a hobby when other, more deadly activities are nowhere near as heavily fined?

Last edited:
The site needs a legal debate forum so when a thread takes the inevitable vector it can be relocated.

Debate between rational people requires no such thing in a hobby forum anyway.
A bit surprised you would see this as that.

If this thread is "vectored" as you suggest, (and it hasn't become a personal insult fest) it could only be because discussion in opposition to that preferred by the moderators or admins is not tolerated. I am hoping that is not the case.

Last edited:
But, you're not too tired to keep reading them apparently.

And BTW, I'm NOT anti-government......I'm anti-"over-bearing, unnecessary" government. Big difference. There are a few areas where Federal government is necessary....Military protection is one. But when government begins to tread on every single aspect of ones life, it's gone too far.
There are plenty of current examples of this.

You are not obligated to read ANY of my posts, in fact, please use the Ignore button and just ignore my posts. It would be best considering you can't stop reading my posts yet are totally wrung out over them.

Also, Most of my post have nothing to do with government, I guess you missed all my posts having to do with helping people with Phantom Questions or posting upgrades etc to mine? Missed all that?

You're fine with opinions...as long as they agree with yours? Got it.
You are right. You are now on ignore. Have at it.

Reactions: JKDSensei
You are right. You are now on ignore. Have at it.

I often am ;)
Now, this forum can become a slightly less hostile place imo.
Wonder why HE didn't think of it?

Funny how I can tolerate others points of view even if I completely disagree yet some individuals find others points of view intolerable.
I've never felt it necessary to "Ignore" anyone.

Jason....would you please do the same? Thx

[WIKI][/WIKI]I registered On Jan 20th A day before the 5 dollars was supposedly to be refunded to all who registered before Jan 21st. We'll it's now Feb 19th & Still no refund check in the mail. That doesn't concern me as much as that I do not have any formal paperwork to prove that my bird is "Leagal & registered". All I have is the registration # they gave me after completing the registration process & money transfer. That number I just wrote down. I would think they would have @ Least mailed a formal letter with my registration # printed on it,.& maybe an apology saying my 5 dollars is in limbo somewhere...LoL!
The refund is credited to the credit card that you registered with. You can prove that you registered by logging back into the same FAA website. Your registration number and profile information are there on file. And, there's business-card-sized form you can print to put in your wallet.

Last warning. You can disagree without lashing out at people. We don't tolerate this type of behavior... Period!

-slinger

Hi,

Please remember the Safety Guidance:

• I will fly below 400 feet

• I will fly within visual line of sight

• I will be aware of FAA airspace requirements: faa.gov/go/uastfr

• I will not fly directly over people

• I will not fly over stadiums and sports events

• I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires

• I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports

• I will not fly under the influence
To operate as a hobbyist, you must operate according to the safety guidance you have acknowledged and in accordance with a community based set of safety guidance. For further information on the safety guidance visit faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft

Ok they say these are safety guidelines but if you must operate under them wouldn't that make it a law? I'm wondering if these are helpful suggestions or mandatory rules.

Hi,

Please remember the Safety Guidance:

• I will fly below 400 feet

• I will fly within visual line of sight

• I will be aware of FAA airspace requirements: faa.gov/go/uastfr

• I will not fly directly over people

• I will not fly over stadiums and sports events

• I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires

• I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports

• I will not fly under the influence
To operate as a hobbyist, you must operate according to the safety guidance you have acknowledged and in accordance with a community based set of safety guidance. For further information on the safety guidance visit faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft

Ok they say these are safety guidelines but if you must operate under them wouldn't that make it a law? I'm wondering if these are helpful suggestions or mandatory rules.

you've asked about this multiple times on other threads and made it pretty clear you dont follow them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie