Hot motor

Reaction score
I'm still not happy with the H3-3D Zenmuse. I was filming and randomly there is a twitch when the GoPro flicks upwards it only happens occasionally but can spoil the film. Today when running the motors no props and testing the FPV setup with a new antenna, as I powered everything down I noticed one of the Zenmuse motors was significantly hotter than the other. The hot one is on the camera horizontal arm. I. Take it this isn't normal or does one typically run hotter than the other. If the motor is on the way out can I buy a replacement? Nothing immediate showed up in Google when I looked.

You have two choices either send it in for repair or buy a new gimbal.

Thanks for breaking the Bad

I guessed so. Looks like I'll be doing that soon but first I'll just run with it until I've got a few more flying hours under my belt :)

What exact model go pro do you have?
Do you counter balance your H33D? Does it have a neutral balance when the phantom is off? Ie, does the camera lop to one side when off?
I use coins with Velcro to counter balance roll and tilt. It basically floats when the phantom is off.

Are you aware that the H33D was built for the Hero 3 non plus? The 3+BE has a different COG (centre of gravity)? Are you using weighted ND filters?
If you fly with an unbalanced H33D, it can stress and may burn the motor. Think of holding a 20 kilo plate. If you hold the plate closer to your body, you can hold it for a longer duration. If you extend your arms out and hold the plate... you'll burn your arms.

Do you counter balance your H33D? Does it have a neutral balance when the phantom is off? Ie, does the camera lop to one side when off?
I use coins with Velcro to counter balance roll and tilt. It basically floats when the phantom is off.

Are you aware that the H33D was built for the Hero 3 non plus? The 3+BE has a different COG (centre of gravity)? Are you using weighted ND filters?
If you fly with an unbalanced H33D, it can stress and may burn the motor. Think of holding a 20 kilo plate. If you hold the plate closer to your body, you can hold it for a longer duration. If you extend your arms out and hold the plate... you'll burn your arms.

If that were true then many of us would have gone through a few gimbals by now. The COG of the H3-3D gimbal isn't effected by the weight of the Hero 4 blk and it 10 grams more then the Hero 3 plus.

If that were true then many of us would have gone through a few gimbals by now. The COG of the H3-3D gimbal isn't effected by the weight of the Hero 4 blk and it 10 grams more then the Hero 3 plus.

IMO, a balanced gimbal will last longer and minimise stress.
And most would crash and void the warranty before the long term motor burn outs start to manifest.

Besides the Hero4 wifi button getting jammed and triggering the wifi, why do you think they made the H4-3D? To me, it looks exactly the same only reweighted and modified so it doesn't trigger the wifi button. Some have even reported that the firmware is still showing H3-3D.

And most would crash and void the warranty before the long term motor burn outs start to manifest.

Besides the Hero4 wifi button getting jammed and triggering the wifi, why do you think they made the H4-3D? To me, it looks exactly the same only reweighted and modified so it doesn't trigger the wifi button. Some have even reported that the firmware is still showing H3-3D.

Look I have both hero 3+ blk and 4 blk and have flown both cameras on the H3-3D without having to counter balance either one. I do use a sun hood is photo but again haven't had any problems with balance and I do not use filters as they are a waste of money I am also a photographer and know the benefits of filters.

forgot to mention the button on the side of the hero 4 blk does not operate the wifi any more. It now is used for video and photo settings.and just being up against gimbal plate isn't enough to trigger it any more.

Thanks for adding to the discussion I do use an ND fitter so perhaps the motor is over compensating. I'll try weighting it and see if it helps because it's certainly nose and connector side heavy

forgot to mention the button on the side of the hero 4 blk does not operate the wifi any more. It now is used for video and photo settings.and just being up against gimbal plate isn't enough to trigger it any more.

I have a 4 Black and I turn on/off WiFi from the side... and I have the latest firmware. Not sure where you see that...

Some have even reported that the firmware is still showing H3-3D.

My P2 software shows it as a H3-3D, but the sticker on the back definitely says H4-3D. My only issue is that ever since a few months ago my GoPro is slightly tilted to the right, not sure why. Never crashed, never banged...

I have a 4 Black and I turn on/off WiFi from the side... and I have the latest firmware. Not sure where you see that...

It may be the difference in firmware on mine but that button does not trigger the wifi but it does do the video setup.

It may be the difference in firmware on mine but that button does not trigger the wifi but it does do the video setup.
I have a hero 4 which I use for other purposes. Mine is on V3 firmware and if you hold the side button for 4seconds it activates wifi however it just acts as a short cut to the menu. If your defaulting to off I don't think it turns it on it just takes you to the menu

I have a hero 4 which I use for other purposes. Mine is on V3 firmware and if you hold the side button for 4seconds it activates wifi however it just acts as a short cut to the menu. If your defaulting to off I don't think it turns it on it just takes you to the menu

The hero 3+ works that way but not the 4 and it also v03 could be that it isn't paired with the remote.

Ok a short video showing me holding the side button on the Hero 4 black running v3 firmware
Holding the button acts as a short cut to the wireless menu. As mine is defaulted to off it stops there but a while back when I was using it I'm certain the wifi started up and stopped with holding the side button

The eagle eyes out there will easily spot why the hero 4 isn't currently in use :)

Mine does. Hold the button, turns WiFi on... hold it again, turns it off. And the button isn't blocked when in the H4-3D. My pre-flight ritual consists of turning n the WiFi to use my iPhone to change camera settings, then I hold the button to turn off the WiFi, and I'm good to go

Mine does. Hold the button, turns WiFi on... hold it again, turns it off. And the button isn't blocked when in the H4-3D. My pre-flight ritual consists of turning n the WiFi to use my iPhone to change camera settings, then I hold the button to turn off the WiFi, and I'm good to go

Had to update my phone as it was the problem with not being able to communicate and pair with hero 4's wifi. Also had the same problem with the hero 3+ black not wanting setup with the wifi with out date cell phone.

GoPro just updated their iOS software a few days ago, or last week... haven't had a chance to use it yet, but figure it works the same...

I'm not seeing any ios update other then what was updated back in July 30,15

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl