Hot camera

Reaction score
Since I got my P3S, several of my friends and relatives have also purchased one. But my cousin is having trouble with his. He called me tonight to tell me that while flying it today, the camera suddenly went to still shot and black and white. No video! After he landed, he felt the camera and it was very hot to the touch. After it cooled down, the video came back, but repeated the problem after a few more minutes in the air. I told him to contact DJI Tech Support in the morning and see what they have to say. Has anybody else had this problem?

GD

Since I got my P3S, several of my friends and relatives have also purchased one. But my cousin is having trouble with his. He called me tonight to tell me that while flying it today, the camera suddenly went to still shot and black and white. No video! After he landed, he felt the camera and it was very hot to the touch. After it cooled down, the video came back, but repeated the problem after a few more minutes in the air. I told him to contact DJI Tech Support in the morning and see what they have to say. Has anybody else had this problem?

GD
What was the ambient air temperature at the time? Anything 90°F and above in the direct sun will be problematic. The camera is basically air cooled and the props alone are insufficient to cool it properly, unless in motion. There is also a tiny fan on the camera that may not be working. Was he mostly hovering or actually flying and moving at the time? The tablet may have been overheating, too. What was recorded on the microSD card at the time? Color? Sounds like it may have been a problem with the FPV transmission rather than the camera. That should be enough to get you started. :cool:

The camera will always heat up when flying the drone. I don't think heat is the issue here since mine gets quite warm and I haven't had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was the ambient air temperature at the time? Anything 90°F and above in the direct sun will be problematic. The camera is basically air cooled and the props alone are insufficient to cool it properly, unless in motion. There is also a tiny fan on the camera that may not be working. Was he mostly hovering or actually flying and moving at the time? The tablet may have been overheating, too. What was recorded on the microSD card at the time? Color? Sounds like it may have been a problem with the FPV transmission rather than the camera. That should be enough to get you started. :cool:
My cousin lives in Northern California, so I don't really know the answers to your questions. I know it doesn't get any hotter up there than it does for me down here on the desert, and I have never had that problem. My camera does get a little warm, but I've never lost connection from it. I guess I'm going to have to wait until he called Tech Support to see what they have to say. I should know today. Where is this little fan you mentioned. I didn't know it had one.

My cousin lives in Northern California, so I don't really know the answers to your questions. I know it doesn't get any hotter up there than it does for me down here on the desert, and I have never had that problem. My camera does get a little warm, but I've never lost connection from it. I guess I'm going to have to wait until he called Tech Support to see what they have to say. I should know today. Where is this little fan you mentioned. I didn't know it had one.
The P3P has the tiny camera fan. I don't know if the P3A does, too. It's black, about the size of a quarter, on the very top of the gimbal assembly, just above the microSD card slot. The humidity in Northern CA may exacerbate the heat. I had all kinds of heat related problems flying there a month ago! :eek:

Here's an update to the hot camera problem. It seems that there was no problem! My cousin called tonight to let me know that he flew for two batteries with no more problems. Don't have a clue what the problem was.

Probably just a fluke, due to the heat and excessive hovering. Phantoms are like Icarus! Don't melt your wings!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie