Hot Battery

Reaction score
I was flying my P3P yesterday and after an uneventful flight, I changed the battery with a second battery and flew until approximately 1/4 of the battery was used. It was a windy day and I had enough so I then landed the P3, powered off the controller AND P3 and placed it in my Go Pro Professional case leaving the battery in the P3 (clearly off though). A few hours later, I opened the case and the bird was extremely hot to the touch and the battery was as well. A coworker was in the room and I let them feel the extreme heat as well. I carefully checked to see if the unit was left on and it was not as my coworker witnessed as well. I'm currently updated to the latest firmware and have not experienced any other type of problem. I'm concerned because it became dangerously hot and now I'm wondering if it caused damage to any of the circuitry or parts in the P3 let alone the status of that battery. Has anyone experience overheating batteries before? Any feedback would be most appreciative.

Nope - but if I was you I wouldn't store the aircraft with the battery in. The data pins press against tabs on the battery - if you leave the battery in, the springs will constantly be under pressure and may weaken the contact point over time. Might never happen, but I'd prefer not to find out the hard way.

The first time I flew my P2V+, I put both batteries in their slots in the hard case and then, drove home. About an hour after I got home, I opened the case to pull out the batteries for charging and it was surprising to me how very hot they still were. The whole inside of the case was still very hot because one, I had left the case open on the ground while I was flying on that 90° morning and two, the batteries just helped to maintain that heat after I closed and latched the case.

Putting the batteries in that foam slot was like putting a jacket on in summertime. It kept them hot for a long time. Since I had grown accustomed to my 70° house in the hour I was home, the heat coming off the batteries seemed excessive at the time. After my second flight, I made sure to feel the battery as soon as it was discharged and figured that in the case, which was very hot itself, they were able to remain very hot for a lengthy time. Now, I leave my batteries out of the case until they cool down well enough to be recharged.

Just one more excellent reason to never leave the battery in your drone inside a case.

If the plastic was not melted then it never got nearly as hot as it would need to be to do any damage the the phantom. and the electronics can take even more heat then the shell considering they are all smd soldered components they have to be able to withstand the heat of a solder reflow oven. Which even a low temp soldering oven is above 300F and the entire circute boards are run threw one to melt all the solder and cause it to flow to solder down all the components they stick on the board.

Tho extreme heat is not very good for lipo battery's but no matter how hot it was when you took it out of its insulating foam jacket. Its still never going to be hotter then it was when it went in. unless the case was in the sun and baking from solar heating.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr