Hot Batteries in Case

Reaction score
Just got a case for my P3 which now presents a new question. When I have flown the P3 and bring it back for a battery change, the removed battery is fairly hot. Do I need to let this cool off before placing it in the foam battery hole of the new case? I'm sure it's not hot enough to melt the foam but more concerned that the insulated hot battery may get damaged.

Thanks!

Do you need to? No. It sounds like a reasonable thing to do though.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Personally I always let the batteries cool off before storing them. Some people have mentioned a cooler with ice packs work well, but I haven't done that.
One good reason to buy extra batts is that there is no rush to re-charge and risk damage

Reactions: S5S5G6
Do you need to? No. It sounds like a reasonable thing to do though.
Yes, that's what I thought to but they don't cool very quickly so on the last battery when I'm starting to pack up, I'll leave that one out to cool. ;-)

I always stand the batteries up on a flat part of the foam, and then later put them in the battery slot. Usually I will stand up my first one, put it in a slot when I grab the second one, put the second one in a slot when I grab the third one, etc. When I have used all batteries, I stand up the last one while I secure the props, the RC, my tablet etc. Then put the last battery in a slot right before I close up the case. When I get home, I take them all out and charge them in the order in which I used them. Probably overkill, but it works for me.

Common sense rules.
I've been carrying a flexible cooler in the car and a big ziplock bag to cool them down as I pull them. Both to cool enough to charge or just cool before packing.
But they usually aren't hot enough to melt the foam.

If they are, I'd want to have those batteries checked out....

I leave the last battery of my flights for the day in the P3 and by the time I get home is has cooled off and then I put it in the case.

Just workflow thing-I've got my batteries numbered and try to use them in order-1-2-3-4, and then it's easy to later (if not charging on the go, to see what order to charge them up at home.
And this way I not only use them with equal frequency, but if I suspect a problem with one, I can keep track of it.
Not rocket science, just good battery management.

Reactions: 304HighDrone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic