Hot air balloons

Reaction score
Anyone know what's the laws about flying near a hot air ballon? There is a festival this weekend in nj for hot air balloons. They will be taking off from a tiny airport with no tower. I tried to contact the airport but no luck.

At the time of the festival the airport will be shut down so only hot air balloons can take off. Does anyone know what's the distance I need to be from the airport to take off and Fly near the balloons without getting into any trouble?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Airport restriction for recreation apply contact them. Also try stay upwind so they dont drift into you while your distracted filming

Last edited:
+1 above.
No different than anytime you fly.

Follow the FAA hobby/recreational guidelines, check for NOTAMS, notify the tower, etc.

I would not expect any concessions from event organizers and planners.

Who wants Chinese toy cameras with 4 propellers flying among balloons?

I'd never consider it but TEHO.

Reactions: skyhighdiver

Airport restriction for recreation apply contact them. Also try stay downwind so they dont drift into you while your distracted filming

Did You mean stay "upwind" of them? So the wind pushes the balloons away from you?

Reactions: skyhighdiver
You might also want to contact the organizer of the event to get permission to fly. I have heard that some balloon festivals prohibit drones.. better to be safe than sorry...

Organizer would never give ok but lucky for you we don't need it Restriction are FAA issue not his to make. He can not allow you on the grounds if airport gives them event control but you can fly from off grounds right over his head [emoji12]

Last edited:
+1 above.
No different than anytime you fly.

Follow the FAA hobby/recreational guidelines, check for NOTAMS, notify the tower, etc.

I would not expect any concessions from event organizers and planners.

Who wants Chinese toy cameras with 4 propellers flying among balloons?

I'd never consider it but TEHO.

Tried calling the airport but no answer they don't have a tower. Also checked there aren't any. NOTAMS. I am not looking to fly outside of the airport to find a school or field in the area and take off from there as the balloons pass me.

stay a good distance away, take some good video. I wouldn't try to get close ups or anything ,but good far away shots and maybe a couple fly by's, I'd be ok with

That's just not a very good idea to "skirt the laws" like that. You are setting yourself up to be "that guy".

You have to remain 500' from any other aircraft and you have to give right of way to ALL other aircraft. Your best bet would be to be a LONG ways off and get long-range shots. Anything less than a couple thousand feet would be careless IMO.

I will be at least 600+ feet from any balloons. Last thing I was is my drone to crash into one. All I want to make sure is that I can legally be in the air while they are flying.

That's just not a very good idea to "skirt the laws" like that. You are setting yourself up to be "that guy".

You have to remain 500' from any other aircraft and you have to give right of way to ALL other aircraft. Your best bet would be to be a LONG ways off and get long-range shots. Anything less than a couple thousand feet would be careless IMO.
Its not skirting the law there is no law its the event that would say no. I was told to use this option by a US PARK ranger when I wanted to film some of the Badlands where I live. He said the law says you can not take off or land in Park controlled land, but if I was to fly from adjacent land and fly over he has no control.

Conditions and Exceptions

1.The required compendium closures do not apply to the following activities:

(a)The use, authorized in writing prior to the date of this Policy Memorandum, of model aircraft (as that term is used in Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Advisory Circular 91-57 and section 336 of the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2012) for hobbyist and recreational use at locations and under conditions (i) established by the superintendent in the compendium; or (ii) issued under a special use permit. Continued activities under these existing authorities are allowed, but renewals and modifications of these compendium provisions or permits must be approved in writing by the ADVRP. Superintendents of these parks should note in their compendiums that the required closures do not apply to these established uses.

(b)Administrative use of unmanned aircraft as approved in writing by the ADVRP for such purposes as scientific study, search and rescue operations, fire operations, and law enforcement. Administrative use includes the use of unmanned aircraft by (i) NPS personnel as operators or crew; (ii) cooperators such as government agencies and universities that conduct unmanned aircraft operations for the NPS pursuant to a written agreement; and (iii) other entities, including commercial entities, conducting unmanned aircraft operations for the NPS, provided such entities are in compliance with all applicable FAA and Department of the Interior requirements. A separate guidance package will be provided for parks requesting approval for administrative use of unmanned aircraft.

(c)Activities conducted under a Scientific Research and Collecting Permit that specifically authorizes launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft and is approved in writing by the ADVRP in consultation with the Associate Director for Natural Resource Stewardship and Science.

(d)Activities conducted under a special use permit that specifically authorizes launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft and is approved in writing by the ADVRP. Superintendents should refer to Exhibit B if they intend to seek approval for a special use permit under this exception.

2.The compendium closures required by this Policy Memorandum do not apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on non-federally owned lands located within the exterior boundaries of units of the National Park System. However, in accordance with 36 CFR 1.2(a)(3), the compendium closure applies to such activities conducted on waters subject to the jurisdiction of the United States located within the boundaries of the National Park System.

3.Nothing in this Policy Memorandum will be construed as modifying any requirement imposed by the FAA on the use or operation of unmanned aircraft in the National Airspace System. The NPS will continue to coordinate with the FAA on national or other appropriate levels regarding the use of unmanned aircraft on lands and waters administered by the NPS.

Its not skirting the law there is no law its the event that would say no. I was told to use this option by a US PARK ranger when I wanted to film some of the Badlands where I live. He said the law says you can not take off or land in Park controlled land, but if I was to fly from adjacent land and fly over he has no control.

Whatever you say. It's your option to fly when and where you like.

So glad you asked the question, omerk. I am planning the same for this weekend. I am meeting with the event organizer tonight to discuss logistics and rules. I am a GIS-er so I plan on using the map he gives me for where the balloons will be launching from and put a safe distance buffer around it to define my flying zone. I want to show the mass of balloons and will modify imagery after done if we want large scale. There is quite a lot of concern with drones around balloons- whuch is understandable. I feel that you just do what is safe for everyone in the balloon, taking into consideration their concerns, and everyone and thing should be fine. Good luck!

Reactions: BigAl07
Tried calling the airport but no answer they don't have a tower. Also checked there aren't any. NOTAMS. I am not looking to fly outside of the airport to find a school or field in the area and take off from there as the balloons pass me.

Just remember that lighter than air aircraft always have the right of way over powered aircraft. Stay well away from the balloons unless you want to make a few enemies.

You have to remain 500' from any other aircraft

Where does that number come from? Im mostly curious since the AMA guidelines dont really specify a distance. I only see this:

K41hiFQ.png

whether or not 500' constitutes "well clear" is, well, unclear :) but Id certainly stay away even further. Balloons are big enough anyway.

Where does that number come from? Im mostly curious since the AMA guidelines dont really specify a distance. I only see this:

K41hiFQ.png

whether or not 500' constitutes "well clear" is, well, unclear :) but Id certainly stay away even further. Balloons are big enough anyway.

I was caught up in the moment and speaking out of turn... that's for "Commercial" operations not for hobby flights. Oops :)

Think of it from the balloon pilots prospective.

I doubt they want to see drones anywhere. They represent a danger to their craft
that they cannot predict.

If the media see or hear of this they will have a feeding frenzy. Not good for the hobby.

Reactions: BigAl07
Basically, what the OP is asking or considering would be akin to flying AT an active airport. Balloon pilots are fully licensed pilots, subject to exactly the same academic and legal requirements as a private pilot (Single Engine Land as it were). Were I flying in either of those contraptions, the very LAST thing I would be willing to worry about would be a Phantom or quad copter pilot looking to fly in my airspace or attempt to acquire some aerial footage.

If you were a licensed commercial pilot with the appropriate qualifications for aerial photography, then perhaps you might have a story. A UAV would under very controlled circumstances be optimal to film lighter than air ships except perhaps filming from the lighter than air ships themselves.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj