Horrible range

Reaction score
I have a stock phantom 2 vision and my range is awful. I have the range extender.

300ft-400ft and I lose connection.

I'm in a crowded neighborhood with many wifi networks. But you would still think I should get better range.

Is there something I should check. How do I make sure the wifi extender is working correctly.

Are you pointing the extender at your bird and how do you have your antenna set ?
Don't have it pointing dead at the bird but to the side .

Everything is pointed at the bird. Ill change the transmitter antenna to point at a 45 degree angle. Hope that helps. I also need to get somewhere that i have less wifi signals. My phone is picking up about 10 signals in my neighborhood.

I have the RE500. My debate is weather to get the RE700 or keep the RE500 and go with the FPVLR stage 2 upgrade. Both are around the same price. Any advice?

I believe you need to try it in another location without so much noise and don't point the TX antenna straight at your bird and you will see more range .
As far as the RE700 it will give you more range and the FPVLR antenna's will put you on out there .
Just what kind of distance do you want ?
I started with what you have and did the mod's to the 500 and the rubber ducky antenna's and then got the 700 and just did it again with the stage 2 set up and then added the bird side ones . Ya can get I know 10000' with that in the right spots .
Do ya need it ? Naaa It's just addicting so ya gotta ask yourself just how far do you really want to go .
If ya go that far then ya gotta come right back as ya will run outta juice .
I think ya oughta get good at flying before ya start with the long range stuff . JMHO ;)

Yea like dc said, keep the control transmitter antenna nearly vertical. The reason it pivots is so you can compensate for the angle you hold the Tx housing at during use.

Avoid flying directly overhead especially high altitudes. There is little to no radiation coming from the tip.

I also agree you should change your environment as much as possible before suspecting equipment malfunction.

Thanks guys. I would love to get around 1-2 miles total range. Don't plan on flying over 1000' altitude. But that might change as I get more involved. I'm big into mods. Just like to tinker. I own a 3D printer so save some on parts.

Mods i would like to do.
- 2 axis Chinese plug and play gimble for vision camera
- stage 2 FPVLR
- better GPS

Any advise on these three? Do/don'ts

When I first got my P2V over a year ago I got a Flytrex Core 1 for it. It showed my longest flight at just over 1000 feet (distance). I'm not sure if it was accurate or not, but it scared the crap out of me because it was but a dot near the horizon. I live in Nevada so there's lots of open space unencumbered with wires, buildings, or even trees in most cases. Still, barely being able to see it was heart stopping. Now, with only a couple firmware upgrades (controller 3.06, Android app 1.0.52) I've lost all kinds of distance. I feel lucky if I get over 400 feet. BUT, I can see it and tell which way it's going - so life is good. I get all the video I want, and my stills are great. Wish I had a gimbal, but that can be added someday.

Not sure why you'd want over a mile of distance, and like dirkclod said, if you get too far out, you won't get back from lack of power. Besides, I think some of the latest software upgrades calculate how much 'juice' you have left and automatically starts a RTH function. I could be wrong on that - because I haven't bothered to get all the upgrades in firm / software.

I had two batteries when it was new, but due to my lack of storing them properly (should have been about a 50% charge instead of full charge like I did with both) I now have only one that seems to be fairly good. The other barely charges, and flying consists of taking off - and almost immediately hearing the "DEFCON ONE" alarm. Drat! So a new battery is in order. I'm wondering if that could have something to do with my distance problems. :?:

Robb said:
Thanks guys. I would love to get around 1-2 miles total range. Don't plan on flying over 1000' altitude. But that might change as I get more involved. I'm big into mods. Just like to tinker. I own a 3D printer so save some on parts.

Mods i would like to do.
- 2 axis Chinese plug and play gimble for vision camera
- stage 2 FPVLR
- better GPS

Any advise on these three? Do/don'ts
Before I would do anything I would get a Tracker !
I can see right now you gonna need one ;)
Seriously !
You Need To Read ..
Antenna Mods viewforum.php?f=54
As far as better GPS..what makes you think you need a better one . You can do a foil mod that's easy
or add the 4mm antenna to the GPS puck you already have if you are having low Sats.
As far as the don'ts. There are just to many for me to get started on and the Altitude you speak of is one of them .
Just saying ;)

Thanks for the tips.

Whats a good tracker that isn't expensive?

I'm getting low sats so i was going to upgrade the puck. Already purchased the new one, just waiting on delivery.

Folks on trackers have many different opinions in here and you can look at the signature of post and see what many are using .
This is a better search to look in and use it and you will find all there is you ask in there .https://www.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx ... jku2ysgyhi
Now I am curious as to what you have just purchased . The V3 unit ?

Robb said:
Purchased a new gps 4mm puck from digi key.
They help a lot of folks and some none . I have played with those and different covers {foil and copper} to see what results I could see . This last time was the last as I messed up and ruined my puck ! New one be here Weds and just gonna add the new cover I saw J Dot using and then leave it alone .
Guess what I am trying to say is know what you are doing or ya be like me !! $169.00 lighter ;)
Good luck and do let us know how much improvement you get !!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj