Horrible flyaway today..wonder if anyone can shed light

Panamon Creel said:
hmmm not sure about heading, have to try to turn it by hand while in ATTI :)

GPS can only provide direction when in motion it can never tell which way the nose is pointing.
That is the sole domain of the magnetometer.

N017RW said:
Panamon Creel said:
hmmm not sure about heading, have to try to turn it by hand while in ATTI :)

GPS can only provide direction when in motion it can never tell which way the nose is pointing.
That is the sole domain of the magnetometer.

That's clear but does it use the magnetic compass data to lock heading while in Atti? Never tried to rotate the Phantom in the air by hand while in Atti and see if it will fight me, will try when I have some time.

Beaugolfs said:
Panamon Creel said:
Beaugolfs said:
The truth is ........

Phantom Mode = risky and at the mercy of GPS, where the pilot has less control.

NAZA mode = more freedom and control. With NAZA you can still fly in Phantom (both switches up), but you have the flexibility and other options at your finger tips, if necessary or desired.

After my initial flight in Phantom mode and reading the following I switched to NAZA! I would never fly again in strictly Phantom mode.
http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/

But why is Phantom mode risky? If there is a failure of the GPS module or Satellite lock is lost then it is supposed to go to Atti automatically. False position readings? Well they can happen due to signal bounce but they shouldn't be super far off, they should stabilize while moving and if there are sudden large location differences then the controller should detect plausibility error.
Are pilot errors the cause of some or even most of the loss issues, possibly but I will also point the finger somewhat at DJI for mass marketing a product that is not yet ready for the mass market. If the GPS says it was here and 5 seconds later it says it is now 2 miles or km off from the last position then it should see that as not plausible and go into a safe mode (not RTH). Same for the Home position if the distance within the given flight time is not plausible then it should go into a -woah buddy that ain't right- mode. Also wrong compass calibrations should never lead to having the unit go off into the blue. They can integrate no flight zones, alt and distance limits so they should be able to add more refined plausibility checks to the controller logic gosh dang darn it ;)

I think Phantom mode is risky, because you are totally at the mercy of GPS (the pilots ability to control the bird is greatly diminished). If the bird starts to act on its own (which can be tied to GPS failure), in NAZA mode you can switch to ATTI and take GPS out of the equation and safely fly home. Understanding how to fly in ATTI mode is very important. Initial flights in NAZA mode should be very close by and in light winds, so you can see how the bird reacts in ATTI mode. I mean how hard is it to understand NAZA mode? Two switches up is the same as Phantom mode, but with the flexibility and CONTROL to do more. Anyone spending $1,300 plus on one of these things should be smart enough to read about NAZA and fly in it from day one!

+1

When you are in Phantom mode and switch S1 to middle position arent you flying in atti mode?

Thank you for all your input. So if you are in naza mode and pull the s1 switch down to the center it doesn't rely on GPS anymore and then it is totally in control of what you do with the sticks. Does Atti mode, mean the phantom will be prone to not hovering in one spot like it does in GPS when there aren't winds. and what is the difference between atti mode and manual. Isn't Atti by definition manual ? I thought i read here that many people had experienced more flyways in Naza mode and thats why I haven't been flying in Naza mode at all. Im sure the unit had some sort of malfunction, and yes maybe i did something wrong, but i've been flying my vision + in phantom mode and have had 40 successful flights with no problems. I don't fly out of sight and i keep it under 400 feet usually and mine has been acting fine. The only thing is we didn't connect it to a computer and download the latest software on the vision unit or the owner didn't fully charge the transmitter before flight are the only two things I could think of.

After 5 or so flights I'm still in Phantom mode as well. I actually did think switching the S1 to the middle in phantom mode was engaging atti as well. Might have to turn Naza mode on and get familiar. Gotta get rid of the training wheels soon I guess :)

GPS mode - when you let go of the sticks so they are centered the unit auto levels, holds the horizontal position via GPS location data and holds the altitude via barometric pressure sensor (dunno if they also use GPS data for altitude holding). Tilt and descend limits are active during flight

Atti mode - When you let go of the sticks so they are centered the unit auto levels and holds altitude via barometric pressure sensor but does not use GPS data to hold horizontal position. Tilt and descend limits are active during flight

Manual mode - When you let go of the sticks so they are centered the unit will not auto level and will keep on going at a tilt until opposite stick is applied, also altitude control is fully manual and unit will drop if you have the throttle centered. No tilt or descend limits.

abacus01 said:
.... Im sure the unit had some sort of malfunction, and yes maybe i did something wrong, but i've been flying my vision + in phantom mode and have had 40 successful flights with no problems. I don't fly out of sight and i keep it under 400 feet usually and mine has been acting fine. The only thing is we didn't connect it to a computer and download the latest software on the vision unit or the owner didn't fully charge the transmitter before flight are the only two things I could think of.

I personally also think you had a component or SW failure because it did an RTH in the wrong direction to some place far away and with 10 sats at take-off it should have locked the correct home point. Switching to Atti if it would have been in Naza mode may or may not have stopped the Phantom in its tracks but I guess we'll never know that for sure ;)

Phanamon creel you described the behavior in atti mode and in manual mode which seems the most difficult and advanced for an op to control. The atti mode when using maza is moving s1 stick to center, what do you have to do to go into manual mode. If one goes into atti mode, can you go back to naza or mimic phantom by pushing the s1 into the upper position again and does that give you back gps lock? And what about the s2 is that ever moved out of top most position and if yes why? Thanks i will be switching to naza if naza and phantom are the same gps locks. I was afraid because all the flyaways seemed to occur in maza from reading many posts here, but if as all of you are saying tnat s2 up and s1 up in naza is like phantom, i really dont see the downside. I guess if i go into naza with the s1 stick up, i should at a very low altitude switch it to atti to get a feel what the bird will do in this mode,rather than wait for an incident to occur.

Once you change to Naza mode you'll get additional options in the assistant software. Under Basic --> RC you can configure the bottom S1 position to either Failsafe or Manual mode.
The S2 switch is for IOC mode selection (Normal/Off up, Course lock center, Home lock bottom), S2 is also used to memorize current orientation for CL by moving the S2 switch 5 times quickly between Off and CL, memorizing current location as home point for HL and RTH is done by switching 5 times quickly between CL and HL and switching 5 times quickly between OFF and HL should memorize both current orientation and Home point but it's better to do them separately to ensure both are locked. Memorizing of either orientation or Home point is confirmed by quickly flashing green LEDs on the Phantom.

You can switch S1 from Atti back to GPS and it will stabilize immediately if enough Satellites are locked and Yes both S1 and S2 in the up position is like flying in Phantom mode.

Creel, thank younso much for this information. I will try naza today for a short flight. Thx again

Great explanation by Panamon.
Don't be scared of Naza. Learn about IOC and Home Lock. If you lose fpv and orientation it's great to bring it back plus I use it at the start of every flight to check correct home point. If your bird is more than 10m away, flick S2 switch all the way down, pull back on right stick and no matter what the orientation of your bird it will fly back to the set home point.

Is it true if one turns on naza mode but is using the older firmware it will try to update the firmware first?, because i really don't want to have the slow descent, airport 5 mile thing come into play?. I also was on the phone with a technical person to find out more about Atti mode. He told me, with atto, when you move your right stick forward unlike the gps or phantom mode, once you accelerate forward and the stick goes back to center the bird keeps going in that direction you pushed it to?. That sounds in itself kind of scary if you move it too fast ect or get disoriented as to which way the unit is going? Is this true?

Dunno with the firmware.
As for Atti mode, as mentioned previously the Phantom will autolevel and keep coasting with the inertia from the movement when you let go of the stick, nothing scary just apply a little opposite stick to counteract the inertia movement.
In manual mode it would not autolevel and keep propelling in the direction it was tilted to begin with if you let go of the sticks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20