Horrible Day...

dkatz42 said:
Sounds like possibly the loss of a motor or ESC? Sideways with a beeline toward the ground doesn't sound like a flyaway-to-Shenzhen situation, as the Phantom wasn't in controlled flight. True flyaways (IMHO) are stable, just not going where you would like. The basic attitude-based control system seems to be pretty reliable.

I agree. This sounds like a loss of stable flight probably caused by a motor gone bad. It could also be an ESC, but there have been many reports of the "e clip" falling off the bottom of a motor shaft and it, and the thrust washer that's under the clip, being pulled into the motor, causing it to seize.

Has this P2V had any previous crashes, or just flips with the props hitting the ground?

-slinger

Skipholiday said:
Yes I'm concerned as well. When I fly my Phantom, most that spectate think I'm overly cautious. I take this hobby serious and I enjoy it tremendously.

+1. I always assume the thing may come down and crash, so am real careful about what I'm flying over and around. ... though I haven't crash my P2V yet (knock on wood!).

Fortunately, I had the first-gen Phantom to learn with, and I *did* crash the heck of out of that one.

I've certainly had no 'fly aways', etc.. though if you're accidentally not in GPS mode, or don't have a good GPS lock, the wind can take your craft for quite a ride. Hence, always be aware of your switch positions ;p

and as for the OP, I third the other conclusions that it may have been a motor losing power or going bad. Whether bad soldering or failed motor. These things just don't last forever, especially given what people put them though - so, again, you really have to expect a crash to happen eventually, imho... at least w/o periodic maintenance of the hardware.

As if your post count has anything to do with your ability to fly. It just shows how much time you have on your hands to waste on the internet.

myvrodrocks said:
As if your post count has anything to do with your ability to fly. It just shows how much time you have on your hands to waste on the internet.
Post count has nothing to do with any type ability. If you notice on this forum and the many facebook pages that are UAV specific you rarely see someone with a high post count having a flyaway.
Most have researched and asked many questions before they take off and crash or land. being on the internet is only wasted time if you waste the time.
There is no other source for information that can equal the internet. But judging from your username you are probably using your internet for different purposes than me and then I suppose it could be considered a waste. .

It's all good tho..

I knew that if I waited long enough, the good people will start replying. I appreciate everybody's input. I am currently looking into rebuilding mine. Just FYI, I live in the Dallas area. I was flying at night in GPS mode. Unfortunately, I was not recording at the time. It probably was my fault. The comment about the magnetism in the cement really sparked my interest. I had never heard of that before and it is well worth looking into. Thanks again.

Skipholiday said:
myvrodrocks said:
Post count has nothing to do with any type ability. If you notice on this forum and the many facebook pages that are UAV specific you rarely see someone with a high post count having a flyaway.
Most have researched and asked many questions before they take off and crash or land. being on the internet is only wasted time if you waste the time.
There is no other source for information that can equal the internet. But judging from your username you are probably using your internet for different purposes than me and then I suppose it could be considered a waste. .

It's all good tho..
+1 ... My count climbs every day and I suck! But with every added post/question.. I apply what you pros tell me and I'm getting better every day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skipholiday said:
myvrodrocks said:

It's all good tho..
+1. My count goes up every day and I'm terrible pilot. However, with every post/question, I apply what I learn and i am getting better every day! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunslinger said:
dkatz42 said:
Sounds like possibly the loss of a motor or ESC? Sideways with a beeline toward the ground doesn't sound like a flyaway-to-Shenzhen situation, as the Phantom wasn't in controlled flight. True flyaways (IMHO) are stable, just not going where you would like. The basic attitude-based control system seems to be pretty reliable.

I agree. This sounds like a loss of stable flight probably caused by a motor gone bad. It could also be an ESC, but there have been many reports of the "e clip" falling off the bottom of a motor shaft and it, and the thrust washer that's under the clip, being pulled into the motor, causing it to seize.

Has this P2V had any previous crashes, or just flips with the props hitting the ground?

-slinger

That has happened to me with my phantom 1 but I have not seen other reports of it happening to anybody.I have put some epoxy on mine to help hold them in place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.