Horrible Day...

Reaction score
I took my Phantom 2 Vision out to fly tonight. I was hovering at around 25 feet when, all of a sudden, the Phantom took off sideways and down toward the ground at a tremendous speed. I had no control over it. It crashed on concrete and shattered the camera, props, and battery. What do I do now? This is a "fly away", right?

Not if you pulled down on the left stick and right on the right stick. Not if you have previously crashed and damaged something. There are many possibilities and you have not supplied enough information or footage for anyone to supply confirmation one way or another tbh... :arrow:

If you're flown a fair amount and have a few flights under your belt, and the craft wasn't responding,
then I'd say without a doubt that this is a classified as a flyaway..

tho most reports are of crafts bolting in one direction and flying away, not necessarily into the ground.
consider yourself semi-lucky that you were able to recover your craft. (I'm still waiting for someone to call me. ugh)

Could have been anything. From what I read and learn about these things. Most issues are human error.
There can be mitigating circumstances that may cause one to act other than designed.
But fact is they are designed not to flyaway.
Flyaways can happen because of another radio signal interference, improper compass calibration or other issues that may confuse the normally very reliable UAV.

I always first think pilot error. Most that I see are from members with very low post count.
Usually I think they are looking for a scape goat or for someone to show some sympathy for them failing.
Then there is that 1 or 2% that can provide some valid eVidence that the bird flew south for the winter and they did not say it was ok..

Like Gizmo said, be glad it happened close and didn't leave for good. Many lose them for good.
Lots have drowned. They don't float. Altho I have heard of a few that have been submerged dried off and flew again.

These little crafts are amazing and are designed controllable reliable and safe.

If mine flys off tomorrow I will first look at what I missed in my pre flight preparation.

I hope you have better luck next time..

Skip my dad once told me he doesn't make mistakes.

F4 F16 A10

Flyboys...

This is the new generation of a bunch of punks thinking hey know what they are doing.

I'm worried about our hobby/way to make money in the real estate industry. All the talk is they want to regulate the bajesus out of private drones.

Yes I'm concerned as well. When I fly my Phantom, most that spectate think I'm overly cautious. I take this hobby serious and I enjoy it tremendously.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Wow. Lot of rudeness on here. :) I have quite a few flights under me. I've been flying quadcopters for about 3 years. I post on here to get feedback from my peers. I'm new to this forum and this is why I haven't posted a lot. Yes, it probably was my fault, but haven't researched "fly-aways" thoroughly enough to understand them fully.

And, notice my question: "What do I do now?" I was hoping someone could tell me how to go about (an easy way) getting my Phantom fixed...

ViperTomahawk said:
And, notice my question: "What do I do now?" I was hoping someone could tell me how to go about (an easy way) getting my Phantom fixed...

With all due respect. Your question is rather "open ended". What sort of responses are you looking for? If you're insured, will that cover the damage? What is the actual damage? Maybe if you provide a little more detail, folks will be more able to provide feedback.

Were you flying in Vision mode or Naza Mode? Were you recording at the time? How old is your P2V? Is it still in warranty? Whereabouts on the planet are you based?

Btw, this isn't a point the finger of blame post, I just feel you're asking for something but the question is so vague that nobody knows how to answer it.

Bmews

ViperTomahawk said:
Wow. Lot of rudeness on here. :) I have quite a few flights under me. I've been flying quadcopters for about 3 years. I post on here to get feedback from my peers. I'm new to this forum and this is why I haven't posted a lot. Yes, it probably was my fault, but haven't researched "fly-aways" thoroughly enough to understand them fully.
It can be a tough crowd here sometimes, you just have to sort through it.

You mentioned you crashed into concrete and there have been other reports of control loss over concrete before. A number of years ago I worked on a promo for a major re-bar rolling mill and the latest improvements was magnetic handling in their shipping department. There is a good chance your loss of control was the fact you were flying over a large magnetic interference.

Sorry for your loss and I hope you get back in the air soon.

ViperTomahawk said:

Test the remains, order in the replacement parts, you can quite literally build a new one... :mrgreen:

Seahorse said:
ViperTomahawk said:

Test the remains, order in the replacement parts, you can quite literally build a new one... :mrgreen:

We can rebuild it. We have the technology... :D

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Seahorse said:
ViperTomahawk said:

We can rebuild it. We have the technology... :D

-slinger

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA[/youtube]

Fond childhood memories... :D

ViperTomahawk said:
This is a common problem with forums. I've exhibited the same. I'm fairly new to the hobby and have asked questions with mixed results. I've learned not to bare my dirty laundry here. It's an open door for some to put you down in an attempt to make themselves feel good. Had much better luck pm-ing competent members and asking advice directly. Many kids in this forum, keep this in mind. Just my 2 cents. To answer your question. Dissect. Test. Rebuild. The rebuild can be challenging, fun , rewarding and you'll learn actin about your aircraft!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViperTomahawk said:
This is a common problem with forums. I've exhibited the same. I'm fairly new to the hobby and have asked questions with mixed results. I've learned not to bare my dirty laundry here. It's an open door for some to put you down in an attempt to make themselves feel good. Had much better luck pm-ing competent members and asking advice directly. Many kids in this forum, keep this in mind. Just my 2 cents. To answer your question. Dissect. Test. Rebuild. The rebuild can be challenging, fun , rewarding and you'll learn a ton about your aircraft!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seahorse said:
ViperTomahawk said:

No better time than the present to learn to solder if you dont already!

Check your warranty, call your retailer and explain... See what they say.

2cents... The Rookie

I read you're an experienced flyer. I by no means have near the experience you have, but I think I understand a lot about how these birds work especially when it comes to positioning. Oddly I was flying last night in NAZA as always and I had waited for course and gps rapid green flashing before taking off. When I went to reign it back in home lock I noticed it was racing off as if in course lock. I double checked my switches and all were correct. Anyways I got her back and landed and r established home. After that home lock worked correctly.

My point is these birds want to position to a place it thinks it belongs based on gps and compass. If anything is amiss with these values it will immediately go to the location it thinks it should be at. Maybe it thought that position was where it headed when it crashed.

I am sure you did, but maybe you didn't wait for home position but thought you had? And it "intelligently" went to the last known home position?

Sorry for your loss.

Sounds like possibly the loss of a motor or ESC? Sideways with a beeline toward the ground doesn't sound like a flyaway-to-Shenzhen situation, as the Phantom wasn't in controlled flight. True flyaways (IMHO) are stable, just not going where you would like. The basic attitude-based control system seems to be pretty reliable.

I have over 100 flights with my P1 with no crash or fly away ,but a few times it behaved strangely .By reading as many posts on this forum I realized what I was doing wrong and was lucky not to crash or loos it. Few times I descended faster ,than learned about Vortex ;once it started to go different direction ,after fail safe it returned back weird way and than I rallied that I launched Phantom from cast-iron garden table (magnetic interference is very critical for safe flight)
As was mentioned even rebar in concrete sidewalk could cost problem (now I am launching my Phantom from insulated pad)
Thanks to everyone who provides as much info about possible danger or safety tips ,rest of the forum reader can benefit by not loosing there crafts. Thanks guys

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20