Horizontal lines on images (not video)

Reaction score
If this has been posted elsewhere, I apologize, but when I searched I only found references to lines on videos - I don't know if this is the same thing or not.

I've had several flights, and all the pics have been fine (to my untrained eye, anyway).

Last night, I finally upgraded the camera firmware - and went out for a bit today.

The attached pic shows what's happening now. It's not on all pics, but most of them. It's on jpegs as well as raw images.

It was a bit windy today (10-15 with gusts up to 20), but I've flown on windy days before.

Any clues? Suggestions?

Attachments

• Lake Stanley Draper 003 small.jpg
    Lake Stanley Draper 003 small.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 643
They are shadows of the prop blades. The camera reads the image sequentially from top to bottom and takes a relatively long time to do so - long enough for the blades to spin by several times. The sun was likely high and in front of the Phantom in this shot.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys ... I had read about prop shadows, but hadn't really seen an example of the effect.

And now that you mention it, today was the first time I went out flying mid-day. All previous flights have been shortly after sunrise, or right before sunset.

I'm approaching my 30 day warranty, and I guess I panicked about the lines :)

Thanks again!

some folks have added little lens-hoods to their GoPro's to help alleviate the issue.

Otherwise, just try flying with the sun at your (copters) back.
.or on overcast days :D

I remember reading about the "lens hood", but went right past it without absorbing the information.

Good idea, though - I'll check into that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4