Horizon v-3 split power mod

Will is there some sort of delay in deliveries? Horizon Midwest received my brand new batteries Saturday 12 March. I received the tracking number on Monday the 14th. And have not seen any tracking updates since.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458336844.119180.jpg

Will is there some sort of delay in deliveries? Horizon Midwest received my brand new batteries Saturday 12 March. I received the tracking number on Monday the 14th. And have not seen any tracking updates since. View attachment 47672

My tracking did not show up until the day of delivery. It took 5 days counting the day I got the USPS tracking for my v3 to show up. So you should maybe expect your tomorrow, Saturday? That would be the fifth day for you.

My tracking did not show up until the day of delivery. It took 5 days counting the day I got the USPS tracking for my v3 to show up. So you should maybe expect your tomorrow, Saturday? That would be the fifth day for you.

I'll keep checking but gonna be 2000mi away this weekend. Thank god for good neighbors.

I dont take offense, I did not do the mod. If will from UK horizon or Tom Parker from Midwest horizon reviews these results and feels like maybe there was something missed or done incorrectly with the mod itself I would be more than happy to send it back to them and have them go back to the drawing board. Because while I can give it more tests, with my flight time starting out at 18 to 22 minutes their product is just not worth running.

I know you won't get offended .. I meant them not get offended because I was asking if maybe there was a mistake done in the mod itself. With the flight times you are getting it's absolutely not worth it but my guess is they are going to get your batteries back in their shop and fix this issues and have you up in the air in no time with longer times.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: dirtybum
MINE DOESNT!
And please dont get me wrong, i'm a fan of your antennas, not just a complainy poster!

I have to agree with you DirtyBum, you are a contributing member, if horizon doesn't know why the lacklustre results wouldn't they want you to send them back to their US headquarters for testing & get this fixed up !!

I know you won't get offended .. I meant them not get offended because I was asking if maybe there was a mistake done in the mod itself. With the flight times you are getting it's absolutely not worth it but my guess is they are going to get your batteries back in their shop and fix this issues and have you up in the air in no time with longer times.

Thanks for the info,...I will stay with my Thunder Power 2100 Mah.
Each weigh in at (197) and 24-25 mins flight time ...landing with 15%
AND you don't have to buy and mod every time you cycle out you
batteries....IMO
Kevin

Last edited:
I added this to post #80
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458361384.600824.jpg

This take off timer with horizon modded smart bat WITHOUT splitpack connected but still taped to the legs.
So the split pack gives me 2 mins.(if I'm lucky)
I'm out guys! I'll be following, good luck[emoji41]

100% at 3.95v .. something is wrong here.. you should discharge to 10% and charge again..
I'll look into it Gizmoh, i noticed that too, late lastnite!
BTW, Gizmoh, i tried take off w/ (4) diff bats and they all dropped to 3.95-4.00 at takeoff w/ the exception of (1) I did with (2) 1800 lipos for comparison, it read 4.05 at take off. So i think the # is normal. Give it a try w/ your bats, tell me what you think!

BTW, Gizmoh, i tried take off w/ (4) diff bats and they all dropped to 3.95-4.00 at takeoff w/ the exception of (1) I did with (2) 1800 lipos for comparison, it read 4.05 at take off. So i think the # is normal. Give it a try w/ your bats, tell me what you think!

Something tells me you have a problem with your main battery. The voltage reported in DJI Go is from the main bat.

Something tells me you have a problem with your main battery. The voltage reported in DJI Go is from the main bat.
The main battery (horizon modded) ends with 4.33-4.33-4.32-4.33
And starts the app with 20+ min.
That seems normal to me. Am i misunderstanding?

1st Horizon v3 Battery Mod Test.

P3A v1 Craft and Controller (DBS Itelite)
All The Latest DJi Firmware

Pure Hover 100% to 50% Battery
*It Is Very Windy Today (18-25mph Winds)

Battery Starting Voltages
Main Starting 17.5, 4.35, 4.37, 4.37, 4.37
EXT Starting 17.6, 4.35, 4.37, 4.38, 4.37

_:_ to 25 minutes took: ~1.5 Minutes
On 25 Minutes For: ~4-5 Minutes
Then Started Countdown Under 25 Minutes

100% Battery To 50% = 15 Minutes 40 Seconds of Flight Time. I'm not impressed especially since this was from a hover even though it was windy.

I am getting 15 minutes with the similar mod but with 2x Turnigy Nano-Tech 4S 1800 or 2200 in parallel with the P3 main battery. And that test was actual constant flying 100% to 50%.

I will conduct at least one more hover test today and will post again. But I believe with all the tests already from the various people that the 34 minute v3 battery mod may be busted.

Update, Interesting Voltages After Flight:
Main: 15.5, 3.88, 3.87, 3.88, 3.89
EXT: 15.9, 3.96, 3.95, 3.97, 3.97

They were very closely balanced pre-flight. I followed the instructions. Power up the main P3 battery waited ~20 seconds or so then I plugged in the external batteries (balance then XT60). These voltage differences after flight should not be as far apart as they are but it's even more interesting all the cells are .08 volts apart from the P3 cells and the external cells.

Last edited:
Did you charge that with something other than a DJI charger I'm not getting the high-voltage when I charge mine?
Also, did you just tape them on to your legs? No trackers no stickers no cameras[emoji41]

Did you charge that with something other than a DJI charger I'm not getting the high-voltage when I charge mine?
Also, did you just tape them on to your legs? No trackers no stickers no cameras[emoji41]

Blue eBay P3 power charger compatible with the P3. Again all it is is a power supply. The P3 main battery and the 2 externals were charging together, connected together as advised by Horizon. I charged until the main P3 battery stopped charging. Then I unplugged the externals from the loop turned on the P3 main bather and started charging it to top it off. I plugged in the externals as well to top everything off.

Nothing extra stock P3A cept the battery mod using cut down battery boards like Unknown was using.

2nd Horizon v3 Battery Mod Test (worse):

100% to 50% Hover.

Battery Starting Voltages
Main Starting 17.5, 4.35, 4.37, 4.37, 4.37
EXT Starting 17.5, 4.36, 4.37, 4.38, 4.38

Battery Ending Voltages
Main Ending 15.5, 3.87, 3.86, 3.88, 3.89
EXT Ending 15.9, 3.96, 3.96, 3.98, 3.97

14 Minute Hover Flight Time.

No Bueno. The ending voltages remain a mystery. The ~.10 voltage differences should be a concern as we have learned from healthy drones that kind of variation in cells is no good. The external batteries and main P3 battery are not discharging at the same rate. Perhaps Horizon can shed some light on this. I measured each right after the other approximately 25 minutes after flight and the main and externals were charged together.

I will do another test tomorrow but doubt I will see anything different. My setup is minimalistic (cut-down carbon fiber battery boards).

KntLLGh.jpg

CiWx2Pr.jpg

mopeOYI.jpg

P8IqPxQ.jpg

Last edited:
Not good. Other externals discharge evenly. This is weird. Here's a sample after a flight to 50% with Hyperions. I can't remember if they were 1800s or 2400s but look at the time and the voltages.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458434006.347986.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458434020.131076.jpg

My mod does have balance leads on the ext split packs, not on the DJI battery. It would be really interesting if that is what makes it so much better. I'm still on the fence about this though.
sounds like youre going to overheat the motors melt the motor mounting plastic thats alot of added weight that the computer isnt allowing for

Well maybe I will have to order that dual battery mod from China at least I know I will get 30 mins.maybe with some modding get it to work even better.

Hey Phantom751874, it looks from yer pic like you had the sd card in! Thats too much extra weight[emoji41]

Not good. Other externals discharge evenly. This is weird. Here's a sample after a flight to 50% with Hyperions. I can't remember if they were 1800s or 2400s but look at the time and the voltages.View attachment 47772
View attachment 47773

My uneven discharge rate between the externals and main battery may be the reason why I'm not seeing a gain. The externals have more voltage left in them. Perhaps the main is what is reporting voltage to the GO App. So I'm seeing 50% left when I land but in reality if the two battery sets where discharging evenly I would see/gain a little bump in voltage remaining.

I wonder if this is discharging unevenly because we were told to connect both the balance lead from the externals and the XT60 connection? I mean the balance lead is working. When charging the whole thing it is doing a good job balancing all 8 cells. I may try leaving the balance lead disconnected tomorrow just for kicks to see what happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers