Horizon v-3 split power mod

Dirtybum: how many minutes did you get in the end?

I was thinking about getting this mod;however, I will holdout until more results are in.

Edited my last post. Maybe this would be the best stats to post:

P3 f/w ver:
P3 Model#:
Flight time mins:
Battery % when land:

Reactions: dirtybum
P3 f/w ver: 1.4.1
P3 Model#: W323A
Flight time mins: max 26-27 minutes with v3 split from FPV Horizon UK
Battery % when land: 10%

Heres an example from my last flight. Pay attention to screenshots of mode and speeds, this was with a 4mph helping out w/ 1.6 fwView attachment 47060View attachment 47061View attachment 47062
Smart RTH for me and that a/c is a great balance between gps and atti on my return trip
Off topic but:
I noticed today that smart RTH seems to be throttle locked on my 1.19 . I averaged 35 mph in smart mode & was able to sail at 44 average in gps w/ a 13 mph at my back so it would appear my smart rth results are only good on my 1.6 fw a/c
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458245022.899321.jpg

Guys Will Here Of horizon , when you power up the Main DJI lip, let it settle then plug in the XT60 Connector of the external Lipo and Balance . ( ensure that the Dji and the externals are charged and BALANCED ) Each cell should be at 4.35 v
what will happen is the Time display will jump to 25 mins or show --.-- as it can not work out all the power it has !! ( it can't go higher ) then as you fly , like up to 8 minutes later only then will it start to count down as it approaches the 25 min power Curve. From then on the power and flight time match up. You can fly it to 0 % but best land at around 10-15% .

after the flight , remove the dji lip , let it cool down. do not charge it for at lease an hour or the external set . When you do use the DJi charger , start the charge sequence , then plug in the externals and balance , it will charge up the whole set together and balance the cell for you . listen to what i am telling you, and NO the module in the DJI lip does not know about the External cell as its connected on the OUTPUT side of the board NOT the input side. so it only knows it puts back in 4480 ah !!!!! 50 % of the power is going back into the external Lipo, the result is it takes DOUBLE the time to charge them !!!!... the module is NOT learning anything it can't . Think about it the charger gives say 4 amps , so 2 amps would go the the DJI lipo and the other 2 amps to the external lipos , since the charge current is halved it will take double the time to charge them up ..... simple logic guys...

all the comments I see are assumptions and theories ,none of it are true . if you guys do this properly as I instructed it will work fine , The Dji and the external lipo will BOTH discharge at 50 % each , we have tested this many times , there comes a point where weight vs power is negative and some of the setup i see just will not work, your throwing away the energy we gave you.

i gave you guys reasons why this would not work in a previous post , a list of parameters , these matter .

Will

HFPV UK

Thanks for the info !! Now to see it happen !! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

that will not work
Thankyou for responding, what here doesnt work? This is the setup that Horizons Midwest sent me. Before posting I e-mailed midwest w/ my issues and questions and Tom said he fowarded to you. Each time I've charged i get 4.33-4.34-4.33-4.37
I told Tom this, he says no prob.
I turn on main battery, check app for proper settings, compass etc. then plug in externals( plenty of time for the main battery to function). My timer starts as you say w/ my other lipo setups showing 25 min. After I've flown for 3-5 min. But your v-3 setup starts at 18-20 . Believe me i would love to rave of this mods success!

Last edited:
Thankyou for responding, what here doesnt work? This is the setup that Horizons Midwest sent me. Before posting I e-mailed midwest w/ my issues and questions and Tom said he fowarded to you. Each time I've charged i get 4.33-4.34-4.33-4.37
I told Tom this, he says no prob.
I turn on main battery, check app for proper settings, compass etc. then plug in externals( plenty of time for the main battery to function). My timer starts as you say w/ my other lipo setups showing 25 min. After I've flown for 3-5 min. But your v-3 setup starts at 18-20 . Believe me i would love to rave of this mods success!

Just got my Mid v3 package today. I charged as noted and I opted for the voltage module to watch as it charged. I started charging the P3 main battery then shortly afterwards I plugged in the externals and their balance leads along with the voltage monitor in-line. It took a long time to charge and in the end them batteries were mostly balanced, within .02 or less. I let it charge until the main P3 battery stopped charging. I used a DJi compatible charger (the blue eBay one).

I believe Will is noting from the picture that he may not recommend the battery boards being used. But I know that UnknownCaller uses them although he has them cut down a bit. I'm going to cut mine down like he has them and I'll be flying this weekend for the 1st time. I'm still breaking the batteries in so I'll fly from 100% to 50% constant movement but nothing crazy just smooth flying. The 2x Nano-Tech's were giving me 15min to 50% and the DJi Main battery only was giving me 12 minutes. We'll see what the Mid v3 does to 50%.

I did notice from a weight standpoint I think the wrapping on the split v3 batteries could have been with a thinner lighter material? What's on mine is a pretty thick white rubbery outer wrapping. There's gotta be battery shrink wrap that's thinner and lighter?

I hope that Will from horizon clarifies what he think does not work with my set. My bat trays are also trimmed to eliminate excess and they weigh only specs more than the white plastic landers w/ 4 zipties that horizon midwest provided and yes s far as i know "Unknown who HAS gotten good numbers with this v-3 mod DOES also use the same battery trays as my pic and Unknown has even posted that same pic. So if Will tells me thats the magic , to cut minor grams by doing this or that then i'm willing to try, but in my experience w/diff bat setups it shouldnt make my ticker start at 18-22 EVERY time just to have diff bat trays than they supplied. For one thing the split v-3 mod is lighter than some bat combos anyhow. But i'll shave some weight and please respond and clear up what is wrong w/ my set so i can enjoy and promote your product.

Oh & good luck P-751874 cant wait for your success story[emoji41]

I'm still waiting on mine...Status has been at "Acceptance" since Monday with nothing else updated. For the guys that received already, were there any of these "details" provided with the batteries? I mean if it really takes some magical sequence in the charging method, you'd think that would be provided.

I'm still waiting on mine...Status has been at "Acceptance" since Monday with nothing else updated. For the guys that received already, were there any of these "details" provided with the batteries? I mean if it really takes some magical sequence in the charging method, you'd think that would be provided.
There was no instructions at all and in one of my last e-mails i asked Midwest Horizon's Tom to instruct me with ANY knowledge that would help in proper charging/installation. Batteries and bubblewrap!

Reactions: Ed209
There was no instructions at all and in one of my last e-mails i asked Midwest Horizon's Tom to instruct me with ANY knowledge that would help in proper charging/installation. Batteries and bubblewrap!

Thanks for this and hopefully what Will posted is the "trick" to getting the performance.

I hope that Will from horizon clarifies what he think does not work with my set. My bat trays are also trimmed to eliminate excess and they weigh only specs more than the white plastic landers w/ 4 zipties that horizon midwest provided and yes s far as i know "Unknown who HAS gotten good numbers with this v-3 mod DOES also use the same battery trays as my pic and Unknown has even posted that same pic. So if Will tells me thats the magic , to cut minor grams by doing this or that then i'm willing to try, but in my experience w/diff bat setups it shouldnt make my ticker start at 18-22 EVERY time just to have diff bat trays than they supplied. For one thing the split v-3 mod is lighter than some bat combos anyhow. But i'll shave some weight and please respond and clear up what is wrong w/ my set so i can enjoy and promote your product.

Oh & good luck P-751874 cant wait for your success story[emoji41]

I think Unknown shaved off most of the battery boards and hung then batteries on their sides. I mean this takes a little weight off, not much. I'll cut mine down tomorrow after work to match though. If I see the same results as you guys I'll take the boards off and use the white plastic plates and tape that Horizon provided and test again.

Other than that I'm not sure what else could be tried. I mean as long as we are charging them correctly and the cells are well balanced, within reason, and we startup the P3 correctly etc. there's not reason why we shouldn't be seeing 30+ minutes. I plan on flying mine within sight and at a leisurely pace so we'll see. I'll know right away if I don't see 25min like you though. Heck I'll even start a timer if I do see 0 minutes and stop it when the 25min shows up in the DJi go App. If I recall with my 2x Nano-Techs I did see them start and not show any minutes then 25min appeared a minute or two late, but I could be remembering wrong.

Guys Will Here Of horizon , when you power up the Main DJI lip, let it settle then plug in the XT60 Connector of the external Lipo and Balance . ( ensure that the Dji and the externals are charged and BALANCED ) Each cell should be at 4.35 v
what will happen is the Time display will jump to 25 mins or show --.-- as it can not work out all the power it has !! ( it can't go higher ) then as you fly , like up to 8 minutes later only then will it start to count down as it approaches the 25 min power Curve. From then on the power and flight time match up. You can fly it to 0 % but best land at around 10-15% .

after the flight , remove the dji lip , let it cool down. do not charge it for at lease an hour or the external set . When you do use the DJi charger , start the charge sequence , then plug in the externals and balance , it will charge up the whole set together and balance the cell for you . listen to what i am telling you, and NO the module in the DJI lip does not know about the External cell as its connected on the OUTPUT side of the board NOT the input side. so it only knows it puts back in 4480 ah !!!!! 50 % of the power is going back into the external Lipo, the result is it takes DOUBLE the time to charge them !!!!... the module is NOT learning anything it can't . Think about it the charger gives say 4 amps , so 2 amps would go the the DJI lipo and the other 2 amps to the external lipos , since the charge current is halved it will take double the time to charge them up ..... simple logic guys...

all the comments I see are assumptions and theories ,none of it are true . if you guys do this properly as I instructed it will work fine , The Dji and the external lipo will BOTH discharge at 50 % each , we have tested this many times , there comes a point where weight vs power is negative and some of the setup i see just will not work, your throwing away the energy we gave you.

i gave you guys reasons why this would not work in a previous post , a list of parameters , these matter .

Will

HFPV UK

Will, is it absolutely imperative to connect the 2x2S to the DJI charger and use the balance connectors? Could we just use our LiHV capable charger and charge the packs as 4S via the XT60 and balance? I would think for those of us with a quality charger, we could cut the charging time down and still give the cells a quality, balanced charge.

that will not work
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458285323.558412.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458285334.993028.jpg

O.k to be fair to what Will may have been talking about is the carbon fiber bat trays, so i took them off. So this is bare bones stock bird, no bat trays, no trackers, no stickers! I taped the split batteries to the legs w/ the least amount of tape possible!!
Charged the batteries up per instructions above from Will DJI charger would not allow me to charge any fuller! the end charge was :
17.3v. 4.33-4.34-4.33-4.38
( this has been consistent for 5 charges)
Went a few feet off the ground and did screenshot as soon as timer started on app ( about 20 seconds)
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458285143.246606.jpg

Fully charged horizon modded art battery WITHOUT split pack connected but taped to landers.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458361263.542155.jpg

And for comparison did the same with a fully charged regular smart battery
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458285203.430155.jpg

Last edited:
100% at 3.95v .. something is wrong here.. you should discharge to 10% and charge again..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj