Horizon not straight

i did this and it helped a little bit but doing an in air calibration worked better.
this was after i did both

It's good, but still not perfect. I'll try calibrating as well, as I experience these issues as well.

I did an IMU cal and gimbal cal and still had a lean on the gimbal when playing video back.

I did a gimbal cal with the P3 facing north after reading about doing that on here. Gimbal is straight. :)

Reactions: Akrosfer
I did an IMU cal and gimbal cal and still had a lean on the gimbal when playing video back.

I did a gimbal cal with the P3 facing north after reading about doing that on here. Gimbal is straight. :)
Heading north?

I pointed the P3 in the direction of North on my kitchen table then I did a gimbal cal.
And heading north helped you make a better calibration? Strange. I thought the calibration was only about the UAV and the camera itself. Thanks for the tip.

I too have horizon issues so I tried some stuff today, including tilting the quad. Strangely enough the gimbal adjusted in an angle, resulting in the former angle. I guess it knew it wasn't leveled according to the imu

imu calibration + gimbal auto calibration (on a perfect level siuface) did not helpme.... still have -1 degree horizon tilt

also noticed on my unit and on a friends one that the camera points slightly to the left when the p3 is standind still on the level surface
I am in the same boat with you. Done everything possible and my camera is still tilted about 1 degree too.

No it doesn't...I have done everything mentioned perfectly and mine is still off.

Please explain the steps you have done prior and after IMU calibrations...If you have a constant offset this is mechanical and needs to be sent in.

Wow, what do we have 4-5 current threads about a tilted horizon? I guess the people suffering from it for so long have given up and now the newer Phantom owners are seeing the issue so we see new threads again.

My post from earlier today - click here.

Please explain the steps you have done prior and after IMU calibrations...If you have a constant offset this is mechanical and needs to be sent in.
I sit the aircraft on an extremely level table (have checked the level). I run the IMU calibration and then I run the Gimbal calibration. It sometimes corrects itself for a split second and then goes back to the unlevel position. I have also noticed that the camera sometime aim to the left a little but sometimes corrects itself.

Wow, what do we have 4-5 current threads about a tilted horizon? I guess the people suffering from it for so long have given up and now the newer Phantom owners are seeing the issue so we see new threads again.

That or users don't understand the search function..
Let me see if I can make this point again.

If you have a constant offset this is mechanical and will not be fixable by ANY update. You will need to send it in. If the horizon comes and goes you need to do a cold IMU calibration on a LEVEL surface. I have found what some call level is not and this will hurt the calibration. You need to start the calibration as fast as possible once you power on the craft. I usually already have the controller powered and in the app at the advanced section.

You might need to calibrate to get a satisfactory result. What this means is you MUST allow the craft to cool again.

I sit the aircraft on an extremely level table (have checked the level). I run the IMU calibration and then I run the Gimbal calibration. It sometimes corrects itself for a split second and then goes back to the unlevel position. I have also noticed that the camera sometime aim to the left a little but sometimes corrects itself.

How are you checking this with a level? Are you leveling in a 360 direction? IMHO, it's very hard to find any table that is 100% flat. I don't see you getting the craft cool as well, have you tried this? You don't have to perform a gimbal calibration if the IMU calibration is good. This imho is last resort.

How are you checking this with a level? Are you leveling in a 360 direction? IMHO, it's very hard to find any table that is 100% flat. I don't see you getting the craft cool as well, have you tried this? You don't have to perform a gimbal calibration if the IMU calibration is good. This imho is last resort.
What is a craft cool (NM I see what you mean)? Well I just realized exactly what is causing my horizon to not look level, the camera slowly turns and aims slightly left. Just watched it do it, was perfectly looking straight ahead and then it very slowly looked to the left just a little and stayed there.

What is a craft cool? Well I just realized exactly what is causing my horizon to not look level, the camera slowly turns and aims slightly left. Just watched it do it, was perfectly looking straight ahead and then it very slowly looked to the left just a little and stayed there.

Let the craft cool. This means get it as cold as possible. Let it sit over an AC vent for 30mins.

What you just found sounds more like a compass issue (this is how the yaw on the gimbal works). It could be the table the craft is siting on if it has metal. It could be a simple compass calibration as well. But if you are not doing a cool calibration, I would first start there.

That or users don't understand the search function..
Let me see if I can make this point again.

If you have a constant offset this is mechanical and will not be fixable by ANY update. You will need to send it in. If the horizon comes and goes you need to do a cold IMU calibration on a LEVEL surface. I have found what some call level is not and this will hurt the calibration. You need to start the calibration as fast as possible once you power on the craft. I usually already have the controller powered and in the app at the advanced section.

You might need to calibrate to get a satisfactory result. What this means is you MUST allow the craft to cool again.
Yes, I agree on all points including starting the calibration right away and having the app ready on the correct screen. I've done this many times, each time followed up with an immediate gimbal calibration - even in mid air several times.

A constant offset would clearly be mechanical. No brainer.

Varying degrees of offset, offset changing based on yaw in flight, watching the offset change while sitting on a level surface with no input, or changing as you change app screens or close/open the app - well then not so indicative of a mechanical issue. To me, that indicates a software issue, especially considering how frequently it is reported.

It will drift, these are two separate issue though. DJI will always continue to try to improve this but it's not a perfect science with the current available consumer grade sensors. Even with this drift issue the gimbal is a tripod in the sky. Nothing is perfect, YET.;)

How are you checking this with a level? Are you leveling in a 360 direction? IMHO, it's very hard to find any table that is 100% flat. I don't see you getting the craft cool as well, have you tried this? You don't have to perform a gimbal calibration if the IMU calibration is good. This imho is last resort.[/QUOTE

I have had 2 different P3A that both have the issue my P3P is fine
I also have done every known thing to man to try and fix both of them sent first one back got 2nd it has same issue
Starts level sometimes but I find its usually only level one direction any turn off that direction a tilt starts

Ive done cold Imu , and gimbal
warm imu and gimbal,
tried tilting bird then gimbal cal
tried in flight gimbal calibration
tried facing dead north IMU and gimbal
ive placed glass on motors and checked level then done IMU and gimbal
I even went to far as to buy a digital level for spot on level and still $#^#$$&%^$
imu and gimbal on blue moon standing on one leg

Really pisses a guy off for video I can crop it out on photos but video is a pain
I have a shoot this week then this second one goes back ( Thank god for Amazon)
They send me one out same day mine leaves

Hey guys, new P3A owner here, but has there been any advancements on this un-level horizon problem? I have done a cold IMU calibration + gimbal calibration but it still shows to be off. I am going to do another one soon just to be sure. Also done in-air gimbal calibration. Does it matter if the IMU calibration is inside near some metal?

I've included a picture of todays flight with the horizon off by quite abit (sorry, forgot SD card at home so had to screenshot picture)
Thanks!
HaT1gXk
HaT1gXk.jpg

Hey guys, new P3A owner here, but has there been any advancements on this un-level horizon problem? I have done a cold IMU calibration + gimbal calibration but it still shows to be off. I am going to do another one soon just to be sure. Also done in-air gimbal calibration. Does it matter if the IMU calibration is inside near some metal?

I've included a picture of todays flight with the horizon off by quite abit (sorry, forgot SD card at home so had to screenshot picture)
Thanks!
HaT1gXk
HaT1gXk.jpg
There are still two separate issues that I have been able to ascertain from reports.

1. Tilted horizon. This presents as an horizon that is constantly tilted in a similar direction and angle. This can be a mechanical issue or not. Each case is different. If not mechanical, it can be helped sometimes with a level IMU calibration followed by a standard gimbal calibration or a mid air gimbal calibration. It can sometimes also be helped with a gimbal roll adjustment. In prior FW versions, the gimbal roll adjustment value was volatile, meaning it would not remain set if you restarted your Phantom. The latest FW versions have changed this setting to be non-volatile, so once you set it the value will remain set.

2. Drifting horizon. This presents as a horizon that varies as you yaw. It will be level in one direction, slowly tilt one way, return to level, slowly tilt the other direction, then level again. It may also show as perfectly level to begin a flight, only to slowly drift out of level throughout the flight. Doing a level IMU and gimbal calibration may often give false hope as the horizon may appear to be level for a while, and then suddenly begin to drift out of level. Some people have been helped with this issue with each FW update, but many have not. From what I have read, this issue has been known to occur on the Inspire as well.

You will also hear in every horizon related thread that you need to do a calibration, you need to do a cold calibration, or that you are not doing your calibration correctly. Many seem to think it's a user error, but of course you know that you are doing your calibrations correctly and have done so numerous times with no fix.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj