Horizon not straight

Does performing an advanced IMU calibration actually fix the horizon not being level on the P3? Anyone actually done it who can confirm?

Does performing an advanced IMU calibration actually fix the horizon not being level on the P3? Anyone actually done it who can confirm?

Yes.. It does.

Thanks, seems like it works for some and not for others. There's always the potentiometer shaft adjustment trick to try, too - that worked for some P2V+ users and the gimbal seems to be of a very similar design...

Mine is slightly off also. Did full calibration after updating the firm ware and it's still off. Oh well can always be fixed In post editing

How do you do an Advanced IMU Calibration? Under Sensors on the iOS app I only see "Check IMU" and "IMU Calibration".

Blade - on the P3, is it ok to do adv IMU cal without removing the top (ie. Level from top of case)?
Yes.. You just want the craft to be as lvl as possible.

I took the cover off the back of my roll gimbal motor, and sure enough, the D-shaped potentiometer shaft was out of alignment with the camera in the same direction as my horizon drift. It took a lot of force (I had to be very careful) but I was able to turn it slightly to make it straight. I'll be testing it later...

Yep, adjusting the potentiometer shaft fixed it for me. Now my horizon is perfectly straight. It's a delicate operation, I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.

Yep, adjusting the potentiometer shaft fixed it for me. Now my horizon is perfectly straight. It's a delicate operation, I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.
Did you take any photos of what exact part you adjusted? This would be very helpful for those of us not familiar with the potentiometer shaft but handy enough to fix the problem if we knew what to look for.

@bbfpv, how can I level outdoor on a completely level surface ;)? any tips?

I'm not convinced that dead-level is mandatory, but it is easy to guarantee. Purchase a spirit level and stick it (using silicone glue) to the top of the casing. Such levels are very cheap and made of plastic, so shouldn't interfere with GPS.

Philip

Attachments

• Spirit level.jpg
    Spirit level.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 431
imu calibration + gimbal auto calibration (on a perfect level siuface) did not helpme.... still have -1 degree horizon tilt

also noticed on my unit and on a friends one that the camera points slightly to the left when the p3 is standind still on the level surface

imu calibration + gimbal auto calibration (on a perfect level siuface) did not helpme.... still have -1 degree horizon tilt

also noticed on my unit and on a friends one that the camera points slightly to the left when the p3 is standind still on the level surface
Mine also does that. Noticed it yesterday.

Mine too. If you look closely at the yaw gimbal motor, you can see the D of the potentiometer shaft, and you'll notice that the flat part of the D doesn't point in the same direction as the camera. The gimbal tries to point the flat part of the D straight forward. That's why the camera points slightly left.

In theory it should be possible to modify the link between the camera and the shaft somehow to fix this, but the parts are so tiny and the camera is held on by a tiny black hex screw, it's very difficult to adjust the angles mechanically.

I asked DJI to fix this in software by giving us a "Gimbal Yaw Adjust" option which gets saved across flights. Hopefully they'll make that happen.

Reactions: Akrosfer
I'm waiting for a response from DJI on this:

"My horizon will not stay level and I have seen countless other videos with a horizon which is not level. I’ve done an advanced IMU calibration on a perfectly level surface, I’ve calibrated the gimbal, I’ve adjusted the manual roll and calibrated the gimbal, I’ve manually adjusted roll while in the air, and nothing seems to keep the horizon level during the entire flight. All of these procedures start the camera off on a level horizon but while I’m in the air the horizon goes back to position which is not level. Any idea if this can be fixed through firmware? If not, I will be sending this unit back and waiting for confirmation from others that this issue has been resolved."

I didn't buy this thing to have to mess with the horizon like this for each flight...

Reactions: Akrosfer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31