Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Horizon FPV antennas

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by smatty2023, Mar 8, 2014.

1. smatty2023

A big thankyou to horizon FPV and in particular Will what a top guy. Spent several emails to and fro making sure I for exactly what I needed. Will was absolutely brilliant and gave me Saturday delivery free. Can't recommend this company enough and with just the mods done at controller end and wifi extender 100% more range on both. Next is the UAV end to get even further range.
    If anyone has range issues this is the company to go to. Will has over 40years experience in RC antennas.
    Any questions re the mods let me know

2. tizzl10

what antennas did you go with on the controller and wifi end? i wouldnt mind doing an antenna setup on the same end but I need it to be low profile and easily removable so i can fit in my case.

3. smatty2023

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... -full-kit/

The above is what I used they look big but they are reasonably small but very light. A very easy mod to do on both the extender and controller just be careful removing the silicon from the jack in the controller use a very sharp knife and take small shavings off at a time and gradually work it loose. I am trying to post some photos but they are too big so trying to compress them to post them.

4. Pull_Up

I've fitted the ground side too. Here's a video showing them being installed and in situ:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsUpYNeTwaU

I use the Duratool case and there's room in my setup to fit the 2.4 (the 5.8 takes less room than the stock antenna as it's shorter, so no issues there).

5. smatty2023

Hi here is a photo if finished product

Attached Files:

6. tizzl10

that's cool, but looking for something a bit smaller that can still improve my wifi without making my controller look like a science experiment lol.

7. Pull_Up

If you want smaller at the range extender end then you're going to have to put a matched antenna on the aircraft end, I think.

8. tizzl10

ok, thanks all..ill look into what's available.

9. pault

Lol :)

10. smatty2023

Pull_up have you done the mod on the uav?, if so got any pics of the position of the antennas. Also saw you vids dry good!!.

11. Pull_Up

No, no aircraft mods as yet, in waiting to get the gimbal installed and running nicely then I'll do another range test just with the ground side. Then I'll have a look at mounting options for the 2.4 skew that won't affect the gimbal balance...

12. nhoover

All these options look great from Horizon FPV. I am thinking that the basic kit might be best for me too. Then again, maybe the extreme kit with a pair of large Blackhawks on the repeater and the bigger 5.8 blackhawk on the TX? I guess not so great for just normal flying around - usually I don't go further out than 2000' and my current setup is ample for that. But it would be simple to connect the Blackhawks for long distance flights. The extreme setup would definitely look like a science experiment!

Since my current setup works pretty well (omni & tplink directional antennas on the repeater only), I will wait and see the results you guys get from these antennas and upgrade in a while. I hope someone takes the plunge and gets the extreme kit as soon as it becomes available.

13. smatty2023

Here is a photo a my rear Aerial mod

Attached Files:

14. mr_3_0_5

That antenna orientation is not that great should try and aim it down
    But if it works for you great

15. smatty2023

Oh ok should that type be always facing down then?

16. mr_3_0_5

Down would be optimal
    It will work don't get me wrong
    But you will have a dead spot when yawing

17. smatty2023

Ok thanks for the tip I will change it before I next fly

18. Pull_Up

You can bend it up like that to fit in the flight case, then bend it down before flight. If it's going to go below the landing skids then you can always take off on something with a handy gap, or two bricks edge on or something! :)

19. Schenso

I have taken off my normal antennas.. but what can i do with this 1 now? :roll:

[​IMG]

20. mtpisgah

smatty2023,

what test result did you get ? horizontal distance and altitude, vertical distance ?