Horizon FPV Antennas

pault said:
Does anyone know what the gunk is likely to be that is used to stick the wires on the receiver ? I ask because it is possible to buy some stuff which can be used to dissolve silicon based mastics. It would have to be applied very carefully obviously but might just soften it enough to make it easier to remove.
http://marinestore.co.uk/DeBond_Marine_ ... r_4oz.html

Thats the easy part.. that white gunk comes off very easily with a craft knife and tweezers.. Its the glue on the phantom end thats rock hard!!

While I was investigating the issue I had, I tried to remove the connector and its stuck fast. In the end I unsoldered it and soldered the pigtail directly to the RX. After I was happy I applied some hot melt glue to stop the cable moving.

Attachments

• photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 378
Okay quick update. Will has been in touch and has made another cable that will ship tomorrow.

Great customer service.

Thanks Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xgeek said:
Okay quick update. Will has been in touch and has made another cable that will ship tomorrow.

Great customer service.

Thanks Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi there well with an rf short on the cable it's like a dummy load the the transmitter , we are not running hi power here so all should be fine , the coax in this case was the antenna !!. These thing happen for one reason or another , but we can fix it easy.
if they were that sensitive everyone would be blowing them ..... like forgetting to connect the antenna.,

other news is, I took out the dual antenna system was with my brother to, tested it , no problems at all , dual antenna guys
we will do a proper range check when i have time to spit !! the UAv also had the BH 90 deg fitted so the 5.8 should be red hot on signals , i'll take it out to see which fails first next the 2.4 or the 5.8 , my money is on the 2.4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dvdyrd2b9x2g03/P1000889.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/icn7tcagn069z5c/P1000890.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdv2bbod8b4flya/P1000888.png

now to push the range with it.

To get me back in the air I made a temporary antenna (connected my original omni to the cut off tail from the faulty cable). Got out to 1100m but headed back as the video was breaking up bad.

I am not 100% happy with the position of the Horizon 5.8 SP on the phantom. It’s far too short and I can’t really get it away from the gimbal. Here is what I am thinking. Put this SP on my monitor and buy another 5.8 SP that is longer and has a straight connector rather than the 90 degree elbow. This should allow me to clear the frame of the Phantom and hopefully improve video range.

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 335
mr_3_0_5 said:
Are you guys all running out if control signal ?. Not now I fixed my antenna
Why are you upgrading the 5.8?. I am trying to increase the video range to match the control range

xgeek said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
Why are you upgrading the 5.8?. I am trying to increase the video range to match the control range

The video range is the 2.4 side
The stock 5.8 side or control side in FCC mode should be good well over 3000 ft with rubber ducky and stock pv2. some have made it to 5000+ but I'm being conservative
I'm just not getting why all these people are upgrading the pv2 with 5.8 pinwheels just doesn't make sense to me. If you did get your video signal to out range your 5.8 then just put an upgraded antenna on your control and done.
The little 5.8 11 dbi panels have been tested to 3km+
Why upgrade the 5.8 on the pv2 are you flying past 3km or 9000 ft?

mr_3_0_5 said:
xgeek said:
mr_3_0_5 said:

The video range is the 2.4 side
The stock 5.8 side or control side in FCC mode should be good well over 3000 ft with rubber ducky and stock pv2. some have made it to 5000+ but I'm being conservative
I'm just not getting why all these people are upgrading the pv2 with 5.8 pinwheels just doesn't make sense to me. If you did get your video signal to out range your 5.8 then just put an upgraded antenna on your control and done.
The little 5.8 11 dbi panels have been tested to 3km+
Why upgrade the 5.8 on the pv2 are you flying past 3km or 9000 ft?

You're assuming I have a P2V ;). On a P2 the control is 2.4 and video link is 5.8

?[/quote]

Does the strange lack of any response mean you don't measure anything at all?[/quote]

far from it we test everything .. we design these so we need to .. you can see the tests on the channel.

the question would be does it work , The Answer is yes it does with the way we did it ...

as for testing you obviously have not see the channel... we test everything to the death....

the Dual antenna works as if its two separate antennas just the same.

Will

Geert, sounds like you had exactly the same as I did before I fitted Horizon antennas - sometimes I ran out of control before wifi, sometimes the other way round, but always at about 1000ft (300m).

Here's my first range test result, with a stock aircraft, ground-end only Horizon antennas (9dBi) including Flytrex data:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJ-ZXd3qnQ[/youtube]

I've subsequently gone further than this by another 50m. I hit the return to home here, wifi was still stable. So in other words it has effectively doubled my operating range just putting the ground-end antennas in place, no mods to the aircraft. If you go for the aircraft end as well you will get even further of course, but this is enough for me and my purposes.

I wasn't after max possible range, my goal was actually to get very solid performance in both wifi and control to about 500m. I surpassed this and the orientation of the aircraft didn't affect things either. I suspect with these antennas I will get better nearby performance if I'm operating close to trees and other objects that would have previously affected things, even more so with the aircraft antennas fitted. Oh and I haven't done a proper range test yet with the Rotorpixel attached, but I got out to about 800ft on my video flight the other day and had no issues whatsoever.

Well when I did my 660m flight I had solid wifi up to when I hit the failsafe as I ran out of control, and that was with the camera facing away, not sideways. I'm going to be surprised if I see a dramatic drop in that range given my experience - the exception to that might be if you yaw such that only the gimbal motor side of the camera is facing the range extender. If I find that's effecting filming towards the end end of the 1500ft I'd be happy with then it might be worth me adding the 2.4 skew planar to the aircraft and attach it to the gimbal-motor side wifi antenna. There seems to be enough room to mount it on the back part of the aircraft... <sigh> thank you Tapatalk for making it so small... :roll:
udedyda5.jpg

Geert said:
I ordered too, 10 days ago.

Looking forward to install and try it out.
Now my video range is between 300 and 350 meter, control range also between 300 and 350 meter in FCC mode.

What average distances can I expect :?:

I'm surprised you're not getting better distance for control in FCC mode. Before I switched to FCC mode my wifi and control were about the same, but after switching to FCC mode I was able to go out 500m as advertized. Did you switch to FCC mode via the assistant software or the turn switch in the back of the controller? When you turn on the controller two beeps is FCC and one beep CE.

Re: Horizon FPV Antennas shipping infos

Guys just an update from Horizon , we are now shipping in order that the orders came in ,
so please bear with us as we clear this second order session.
Stocks have be replenished and shipping as fast as we can.

the store will notify you as the status of your order changes.

So we hope to catch up as there were a shortage of certain components .... ok now.

Stop press we are looking at a special cable for the Camera to enable antenna connection without ripping the camera to bits.
stay tuned.....

Will

Re: Horizon FPV Antennas shipping infos

Pcdeveloper2014 said:
Stop press we are looking at a special cable for the Camera to enable antenna connection without ripping the camera to bits.
stay tuned.....

Ok now that's got my attention! Now if only you could come up with some magic self-splicing device for the receiver... ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20