Horizon FPV Antennas

cavaleiro01 said:
BenDronePilot said:
Pull_Up said:
Yes, well I've got a Rotorpixel gimbal on the way so wanted to wait until that arrives so I can see how antennas can best be placed and if the gimbal motor next to one of the camera antennas affects the video performance much. If I get a solid 1500ft of both control and wifi then I may not fit the aircraft antennas at all, to be honest. They'll either sit in the slowly growing "parts bin" or they'll be sold on. :)

Modding the P2V camera antennas does give a decent range increase. And in my opinion it will be especially necessary for anyone embarking on adding any of the 2axis gimbals available as they block one of the antennas. I have an easy mod method for upgrading without stripping the whole camera apart. You can check the video out here discussing it. Take note of the of the captions as I corrected a couple of things. And there's a parts list in description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1_nVHSkSdo

Just got my 2 special u.fl male/female pigtails today, to avoid stripping the camera apart! Now only the pinwheel antenna missing (although it's already coming my way!!!)...

You found a male to male Ufl?

mr_3_0_5 said:
cavaleiro01 said:
Just got my 2 special u.fl male/female pigtails today, to avoid stripping the camera apart! Now only the pinwheel antenna missing (although it's already coming my way!!!)...

Unfortunately, no, just a male to female one, which will work as an "extension" for the one coming from the camera transmitter.

cavaleiro01 said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
cavaleiro01 said:

Unfortunately, no, just a male to female one, which will work as an "extension" for the one coming from the camera transmitter.

This one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221262163106?ss ... 1497.l2649

I don't get why everyone is using that what will it help ?
Just extends what you have one inch

I'm following BenDronePilot's lead and running the camera antenna wire through the damper. The original placement of the 2.4 GHz SP on the camera itself resulted in lots of jello. I think it must've been catching more wind than I thought it would. Plus, I didn't have the full range of motion on the gimbal with that bunny tail back there. The range is much improved, though I don't have any record setting figures yet. It was fairly windy yesterday and today so I'll attempt a good range test tomorrow. I've updated my slideshow to show the new updates.

https://vimeo.com/87879364

Thanks guys for the extensive conversation about antenna, and installation. I really appreciate it, being a complete novice about antenna. Have a question about placement of pinwheel antenna near the compass. I am sure there isn't a problem with it or you wouldn't install the antenna so close to compass. Just wondering why not? When i read that you should not calibrate the compass with metal objects in your pockets or around you its seems to me the antenna wire would be interference. Inquiring minds want to know. lol.

enterprise1 said:
Thanks guys for the extensive conversation about antenna, and installation. I really appreciate it, being a complete novice about antenna. Have a question about placement of pinwheel antenna near the compass. I am sure there isn't a problem with it or you wouldn't install the antenna so close to compass. Just wondering why not? When i read that you should not calibrate the compass with metal objects in your pockets or around you its seems to me the antenna wire would be interference. Inquiring minds want to know. lol.

The Horizon antennas for placement on the UAV are made from non ferrous metals Aluminium,copper and gold or silver ,

the only metals that effect the compass are Iron , steel , nickle and cobalt. This is one reason why they are made of these metals .

Pcdeveloper2014 said:
enterprise1 said:

The Horizon antennas for placement on the UAV are made from non ferrous metals Aluminium,copper and gold or silver ,

the only metals that effect the compass are Iron , steel , nickle and cobalt. This is one reason why they are made of these metals .

Thanks PcDeveloper. My iq just jumped from 50 to 51. Should be getting my Horizon Super kit anyday now. Wish me luck. lol.

Today, I noticed my P2V doing that slow, vulture circling that Colin Guinn talked about in that Fly Away Prevention video so I decided to do a compass re-calibration. All is good again. So, as Pcdeveloper2014 mentioned, these antennas do not interfere with the compass.

Horizon LHCP RC Mod

Hey guys just doing the short video on a mod to the P2V for 2 x Horizon SP antennas for TRUE LHCP on RC control
video up shortly just working on it . There is no need to open up the UAV to do this mod.
up soon guys.. ( this will also work with the P2 just different antennas ....) here is what it looks like when done

Camera end.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ddf5h1ogwi6qfnv/Ke2VIa07Ro
Battery end
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0w02rnz9fw4x4re/ucrIvPFGua

the battery end is done a little longer for a future addition to the P2V soon....

Re: Horizon LHCP RC Mod

Pcdeveloper2014 said:
Hey guys just doing the short video on a mod to the P2V for 2 x Horizon SP antennas for TRUE LHCP on RC control
video up shortly just working on it . There is no need to open up the UAV to do this mod.
up soon guys.. ( this will also work with the P2 just different antennas ....) here is what it looks like when done

Camera end.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yegf93u1ul04iqu/P1040455.jpg
Battery end
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ea3xwcuaklfc48d/P1040460.jpg

the battery end is done a little longer for a future addition to the P2V soon....

cool..looking forward to the video..im interested in low profile antenna setups like this. preferably antennas that wont interfere with 2 axis gimbals.

tizzl10 said:
Pcdeveloper2014 said:

links updated....

cool..looking forward to the video..im interested in low profile antenna setups like this. preferably antennas that wont interfere with 2 axis gimbals.

tizzl10 said:
Pcdeveloper2014 said:

links updated

Ok guys after the mod toady , it was nice and sunny so took the P2V out for a range test.

Something is not right with the range , i have a Placemark on Google earth and flew to that , tested return to home no problem

then sent it out , i lost sight of it completely , the range on the application says around 568 meters ( that's 1863 Feet)
so there is a big difference between the application distance and the Google earth distance , one of them is wrong And i trust Google earth for sure , so we were probably around a Km out with full control and no drop-outs.

Where i flew it to the forest line i know we are talking of 800 +meters , full video all the way ( super kit) Full RC control also
not a blink , so we will have to see what the range actually is .

on the 138 meter flight i flew to a wall line , just past it and you can see the image on the phone saying 139 meters but Google earth says its actually 248 meters . on the longer flight it was probably near the 1K mark , i will do it again and double check the range.

After doing the Mod on the UAV i would recommend it , solid RC control , also i have another add on for you guys who really want to push the boat ..... watch this space...

see the links from today .......

Will

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2g5jlcgmbgbn2t/Range errors 1.png

longer flight
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzcphqma10nllda/Range errors 2.png

the setup that did it .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkaahnhdd02n4a3/P1040480.png

the Uav showing twin SP for RC control.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvq2jmwytxpoeg4/P1040481.png

Received my Horizon super kit for the Vision. Got the pilot end installed. Pretty easy job really. Thanks to the guys here in the forum with their vids and step by step instructions.

Just finished my first flight test a couple hours ago. Beautiful weather with a 5 mph wind. We get sunshine here in the desert about 300+ days a year. My stock Vision range was around 900ft. before losing WiFi. RC controller stock range was undetermined because I always returned home after losing WiFi. Today my WiFi was still going strong at 1250ft but lost my RC controller signal. Did 2 consecutive flights with the same results. Tried aiming the antenna as best i could but no help. Will recheck all connections again.

I have a question about the Blackhawk micro antenna for someone who is familar with them. Does the strongest signal from this antenna come from the end or the side like a rubber ducky? Got to make sure my sights are on the right end of the gun. lol. Thanks for any help guys.

Aim it like your trying to shoot it out of the sky with he cannon
So opposite of the ducky antenna point it straight at it

enterprise1 said:
Received my Horizon super kit for the Vision. Got the pilot end installed. Pretty easy job really. Thanks to the guys here in the forum with their vids and step by step instructions.

Just finished my first flight test a couple hours ago. Beautiful weather with a 5 mph wind. We get sunshine here in the desert about 300+ days a year. My stock Vision range was around 900ft. before losing WiFi. RC controller stock range was undetermined because I always returned home after losing WiFi. Today my WiFi was still going strong at 1250ft but lost my RC controller signal. Did 2 consecutive flights with the same results. Tried aiming the antenna as best i could but no help. Will recheck all connections again.

I have a question about the Blackhawk micro antenna for someone who is familar with them. Does the strongest signal from this antenna come from the end or the side like a rubber ducky? Got to make sure my sights are on the right end of the gun. lol. Thanks for any help guys.

have them both in parallel lined up , its not to critical , adding the the pair to the UAV makes a difference for true LHCP
as we have LHCP on the ground and vertical on the UAV so there is some polarisation loss . .
We have another antenna to fix to the back end of teh Phantom 2 Vision ( 5.8 GHz 9 dB ) BH Micro 90 deg , video shortly .

Will

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4