(Hopefully) Not your average compass question

Reaction score
Ok, I have a compass question that I couldn't find the answer to.

After flying this weekend I set the Phantom on a ledge by the river to record some static video and take some photos. Now there must have been some metal rebar in the concrete as the Go App gave me a compass error. My question is do I need to recal before my next flight now due to this error?

No.

I did.

DO Calibrate
  • Mod value out of whack or compass error reported (check area first).

Are you saying you walked away from the metal rebar and your mod value is still out of whack?

Are you saying you walked away from the metal rebar and your mod value is still out of whack?

No, I'm saying the linked post says mod value out of whack OR compass error reported.

I had one of those two so it appears I need to recal? I'm just seeking clarification.

It's referring to a mod value that is currently out of whack when there is no interference in the area. That does not appear to be the case here, so you do not need to recalibrate.

Reactions: Phantomix
Ok, I have a compass question that I couldn't find the answer to.

After flying this weekend I set the Phantom on a ledge by the river to record some static video and take some photos. Now there must have been some metal rebar in the concrete as the Go App gave me a compass error. My question is do I need to recal before my next flight now due to this error?
The compass tells you that it detects an abnormal magnetic field, you move away and the compass error goes away because your compass is now reporting that it is detecting the earth's normal magnetic field.
Problem solved, you don't need to do anything else.

Think of it like an old-fashioned needle compass.
You bring it close to a piece of steel and it points to the steel instead of north (compass error)
You take the steel away and the compass is back to pointing to north again.

Reactions: RodPad
The compass tells you that it detects an abnormal magnetic field, you move away and the compass error goes away because your compass is now reporting that it is detecting the earth's normal magnetic field.
Problem solved, you don't need to do anything else.

Think of it like an old-fashioned needle compass.
You bring it close to a piece of steel and it points to the steel instead of north (compass error)
You take the steel away and the compass is back to pointing to north again.
Perfect, I could come up with anything good this morning!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.