Hooking up an amplifier to stock antennas?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if there's any way to just buy an amplifier and connect it to the stock antennas on the P4 remote?

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, not sure how much you know, will just the DBS mod do you? I mean, it's not extra power (amp.) but it is a dedicated antenna mod that gets excellent range extender reviews for the P3p/a and shows it's the same antenna for the P4. There's also another dual antenna mod on YouTube that's like two fat blocks instead of the long skinny ones. You can add power to either of these mods I do believe

I have the DBS mod ($109) for my P3P and I'm returning it later today for a P4 (losing my free battery in the process I hope I'm happy with it) so I'll have a P3 transmitter with the mod I'm going to do some test on vs the stock P4 transmitter I can let you know if it helps the P4, it's supposed to by what their site says, both lightbridge it works for inspire also so I'm sure it works for P4

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if there's any way to just buy an amplifier and connect it to the stock antennas on the P4 remote?

Paul

There's no way. The P3 through P4 antennas are a plastic stick, with a wire glued inside of them. The only way to add an amp and antenna is to open the controller, remove both antenna wires, and plug in new from MAXXUAV.com or DBS MODS.

The easiest boost you can do is Windsurfers. They just slide over your stock antennas!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: CradokaPhantomPilot
The easiest boost you can do is Windsurfers. They just slide over your stock antennas!

I'm skeptical about the effectiveness of Windsurfers as the template DIY version I've tried did not seem to improve my range. [emoji849]

Ideally I'd like to go with the FVFLR boosted range extender which does not require any drilling, but I'm not too keen on dropping $350 (with shipping) on it right now. Plus I'd rather find something I can buy locally, in the UK.

Anything that requires drilling holes is a no go for me. What about signal repeaters?

I'm skeptical about the effectiveness of Windsurfers as the template DIY version I've tried did not seem to improve my range. [emoji849]

Ideally I'd like to go with the FVFLR boosted range extender which does not require any drilling, but I'm not too keen on dropping $350 (with shipping) on it right now. Plus I'd rather find something I can buy locally, in the UK.

Anything that requires drilling holes is a no go for me. What about signal repeaters?

The DBS antenna from MAXXUAV does require drilling either.

Honestly the drilling doesn't matter. Once you head down this path you can't return to stock without drilling. You either have to drill, like DBS does, or you have pull the stock antennas out. I recommend the latter because having those in your way are annoying!

This guy takes the controller apart way more than necessary

Lol, I didn't notice as he was speaking German or something...
But u know, even the DBS mod I did, It coulda been pushed thru the existing antenna holes, the bulkhead fittings could just float through it. I wonder what those twin antenna cost? I'll bet their just the DBS type but using two antenna vs the single slab DBS uses. I actually think they look better too.

By the way they're only $60 on eBay, I may get em for the P4 a little later down the road. I was going to get it tonight but doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

Reactions: SwissPhantom

You shouldn't discount Windsurfer so fast. If you buy the 3D printed version for $25 that has the proper arc and distance between the antenna and parabolic reflector, you can double your range. Some windsurfers are no optimized. Don't forget to select a custom channel and set your Transmission Quality to 4mbps. With those two changes (Windsurfer + 4mbps) to your RC you can get over 2mi range. Remember, adding an amp means you have another battery to charge, not to mention the rats nest of wires outside of your RC, and the inability to fit the RC into most cases with your drone.

Reactions: PaulJohn
You shouldn't discount Windsurfer so fast. If you buy the 3D printed version for $25 that has the proper arc and distance between the antenna and parabolic reflector, you can double your range. Some windsurfers are no optimized. Don't forget to select a custom channel and set your Transmission Quality to 4mbps. With those two changes (Windsurfer + 4mbps) to your RC you can get over 2mi range. Remember, adding an amp means you have another battery to charge, not to mention the rats nest of wires outside of your RC, and the inability to fit the RC into most cases with your drone.

Thanks. I tried but when I press custom in the channel settings nothing happens :/ Any idea what might be the issue? I'm running the newest iOS and DJI Go app

Thanks. I tried but when I press custom in the channel settings nothing happens :/ Any idea what might be the issue? I'm running the newest iOS and DJI Go app

After you click Custom, then click a channel, such a ch# 20. Does the Transmission Quality slider bar appear then? If you see the slider bar, slide the selector left to 4mbps.

After you click Custom, then click a channel, such a ch# 20. Does the Transmission Quality slider bar appear then? If you see the slider bar, slide the selector left to 4mbps.

Had to switch my region to Thailand in iOS settings and the slider appeared [emoji1] Guess this feature doesn't normally work in the UK

Thank you!

There is no way to fit amplifiers without taking your controller apart unless you wanted to cut wires and solder your own connections which would be a very bad idea, since you have your controller open it would only make sense to add new antennas, not to mention amplifying through the original antennas would be very would be very resistive to a decent size amp.

There is no way to fit amplifiers without taking your controller apart unless you wanted to cut wires and solder your own connections which would be a very bad idea, since you have your controller open it would only make sense to add new antennas, not to mention amplifying through the original antennas would be very would be very resistive to a decent size amp.
You're right! I've decided to go with a basic Itelite for now and go from there :)
Makes me wonder though, why can't DJI offer a better antenna solution, even at an extra price.

Because DJI are already giving us more range than what the majority of demographic buying their products need, not to mention it's illegal to fly out of "Line of sight". As for "basic" unboosted antenna it will take exactly the same amount of work (inside the controller) as installing a boosted one, I. E. Disconnecting 2 wires and attaching 2 new ones, the only difference is outside the control, the 2 wires you would would normally attach to your antenna go through a couple amps first but this is all external and takes 20 seconds extra and no skill or knowledge, the exception of coarse is windsurfer style antennas, adding some reflective material behind antennas to bounce more signal forward these of coarse do not require taking apart the controller. Another thing worth noting is that the process for changing antennas for a drone capable of using dual controllers like the Inspire etc, is slightly more complex.

Basically if you are going to install a non boosted antenna simply because the technical fear of installing a boosted antenna there is no sense, the mechanics of the install are EXACTLY the same internally.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulJohn
Hi lm new to the forum. I have recently fitted the 4 hawks xr raptor antenna to my mavic pro so obviously i have now got the screw type sma sockets coming out of the transmitter. I would like to put some powered amps between the controller and 4 hawks also but don’t really know what to get and where from not having much luck finding on the internet. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Thankyou.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj