Hood for Nexus 7

Reaction score
Anyone out there using a Nexus 7 for FPV? I've got a Vision 2+ and recently purchased a Nexus 7 for this. I need a hood for it badly, however, as it's VERY difficult to see in bright sunlight.

Thanks.

I had the same problem with a Nexus 7. hard to find anything anywhere. I found one of those canvas types that fold up and fit together with Velcro strips fitted fine. Unfortunately I also found that in the field I needed three pairs of hands and a knee to put in on successfully. It worked but was a pain.

I gave up in the end and went to Staples Office Supplies (in UK, I’m sure you’ll have similar) I took a paper template drawn around the Nexus 7 and tried a few bins and boxes until I found one just the right size the template would fit just right. I got a “Index Card” box.

Then I cut the end off, angling the sides etc so it looks like a normal sun shade.

Works great.

I can’t remember the exact model of “card Index” box off hand, I’ll have the receipt somewhere if you have a Staples. I’m sure you’ll find a suitable box to “modify” easy enough though.

Reactions: niteliter
B&H Photo has a good selection of monitor hoods. I like the full rectangular hoods. They give the most shade. Use a stylus for your touch screen.

Without any doubt that big bright thing in the sky sure can cause problems with FPV. Even with shades the light behind you still causes problems. One long cardboard tube I made for my small phone worked well because you could look into it and block most of that background light. Had a flap in the bottom to make adjustments. But now with my Hisense tablet, nothing seems to really do a good job. Fly very early or very late and that fire ball in the sky problem is so much less.

Thanks for the replies! I didn't realize they were here as I never got notifications anyone replied (I turned it on).

I appreciate the suggestions.

P.S. Johnnie, I'm here in the US. :)

I'm using a Nexus 7 (1st Gen) and having difficulty seeing the screen in sunlight. I'm fixing this issue with
1. Matte finish screen protector (anti-glare and anti-smudge) about $4 on ebay
2. Sunscreen hood and velcro, about $10 on ebay

Should have it all together and tested in a day or two. I'll let you know it it works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers