Homemade Windsurfer Question

Reaction score
I came across a thread that was talking about these and wanted to post this and get the opinion of the forum members here that have used or are using something like this. I am working graveyards this week and decided to make this at work because nothing is going, I was bored, all the materials were available curtesy my employer and I'm getting paid to make it [emoji3][emoji106]. Will this set up work or do I need to make two smaller ones and put them on each individual antenna? Realistically, how much range can I expect out of this? I flew my P3A today and I lost signal at 8205 ft. out and 300ft altitude. RTH kicked in and brought it back. First time I have tried going out for distance to see what it would do. VERY SCARRY FOR A TOTAL NOOB AT THIS [emoji3]. I was expecting more range out of it.

ec57a595005d4a468c08d82a813a505f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best test is try it without the windsurfer and see how far you get until RTH kicks in the again with the windsurfer and you should have you answer as to how well it does on your set up.

People report some effect from a foil pie dish or CD behind, so there may be some change.
The properly formed ones you can buy for peanuts will typically give about 50% range increase, or more usefully a more robust link at closer distance in less than perfect conditions e.g. tree branches.
The trade off is pointing directly at it is much more important.
The commercially designed version is using an accurately calculated shape to work with the frequency - it is possible a badly incorrect one might have a negative effect on range.

Reactions: mikecorn1
For a windsurfer to work at its optimum, the curve has to be just right, and at the exactly correct distance from the antenna. When you point a laser pointer at the foil surface, the beam should bounce back onto the antenna. In your design, much or all of the wave caught won't bounce back to the antenna.

Reactions: Fishie and Hemar174
The setup in that photo is not your ideal setup for distance because the beam width is entirely too wide. Imagine your antenna is a lamp and you're trying to shoot the light beam forward as if it was a flashlight. The beams are bouncing off your reflector, criss-crossing, and moving away from each other! And that might be wonderful if you want a solid signal at relatively close range and don't want to be bothered with the task of aiming. But if you're looking for long range, you would want a windsurfer or parabolic type reflector behind each individual antenna - both aiming forward.

Hope this helps.

im using a £5 ebay windsurfer on my P3A on CE mode in the UK and ive already done 11500 feet still full control and video signals!!!!
i think the limiting factor on these drones is just the battery tbh

I have made the scaled down version posted on Tom's Tech Time youtube channel, I was not impressed. The 3-D printed versions that are more parabolic and allow the 2 antenna to be parallel to each other work the best in my opinion. I printed this one myself and covered it with 2 strips of 50mm copper foil I bought at a guitar store but you could just buy directly from him.

DJI Phantom 3 / Inspire 1 Range Booster by giufini

@Giuseppe Finizia

Thanks for all the input. If anything, it kept me entertained. I will look into purchasing a ready made one.

Thanks for all the input. If anything, it kept me entertained. I will look into purchasing a ready made one.

I used the exact same design before buying the aluminum windsurfer and easily got 10K + feet.

I tried buying the Skyreat windsurfers but they cancelled the order and quit making them at the time. I like the fold up style and would like to buy a set if anyone has a link. But as far as the parabolic material that is being used, most use Aluminum or Copper for the covering but... Silver is the best reflective element and I am wondering why everyone isn't using silver? Has anyone done a comparison between silver and copper?

The home made DIY are great... but they get crushed and get wet easily. Best just to purchase them 3D printed for durability and a snug fit for better accuracy.

Just got over 21,000 feet with my Advanced today with a windsurfer set off Amazon, BTG brand for like $18. Still had good video and RC before I started RTH. Mine are 3D printed and COPPER.

Crazy...no way I could go further due to battery limitations. Only 9% left on landing...made me very nervous!

6f4455deaaa103f71a48214b253d2ca6.jpg

Reactions: Fishie and Reed L
Just got over 21,000 feet with my Advanced today with a windsurfer set off Amazon, BTG brand for like $18. Still had good video and RC before I started RTH. Mine are 3D printed and COPPER.

Crazy...no way I could go further due to battery limitations. Only 9% left on landing...made me very nervous!

6f4455deaaa103f71a48214b253d2ca6.jpg

Any chance you could post the link to the one you're using? Thanks in advance.

... But as far as the parabolic material that is being used, most use Aluminum or Copper for the covering but... Silver is the best reflective element and I am wondering why everyone isn't using silver? Has anyone done a comparison between silver and copper?

No I have not. But radio waves are not light waves, so silver is not necessarily the best reflector.

According to Giuseppe's site posted above, he writes:

"You can usually get excellent results with the booster covered with aluminium foil, anyway my boosters with copper coating will allow you to reach more distant targets, moreover it can give better results expecially when you pilot your drone in an area with sparse trees and medium size obstacles."

And he charges a bit more for the copper. So I suspect copper is a little better reflector.

As far as I know copper and aluminum or any conductive metal for that matter will reflect RF waves just as good as the next for our uses. I'm guessing copper is a little more because copper tape costs a little more than aluminum tape.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

In this application surface texture is the dominant factor.

A smooth aluminum coating will be better than a textured copper.
Touting one material over another just on composition alone is misleading.

In fact the reflector need not be opaque (solid) as a screen or mesh of the appropriate type is just as effective.
Note the screen (reflector) on the door of your microwave oven for example.

I tried buying these folding one's last year and was told that they had been discontinued, as Skyreat cancelled my order. So maybe the folding one's aren't working as well as the copper coated ones that are #1 Best Seller on Amazon. I looked and saw them still showing as available yesterday but they aren't according to them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik