homemade landing pad

Reaction score
When I first got my Phantom 3 last month, I was using a 24" x 22" MDF board to land on since I didn't want to land in the wet grass.

I wanted to make it into an actual landing pad, so I painted it to be highly visible during the day.

It also has a infrared LED illuminator in the center to make it (hopefully) highly visible at night. I will post pictures when I get a chance to test this out. I still need to figure out some kind of lens to cover the hole, as well as some sort of 12v power to it.

Here's the infrared illuminator I used:
Infrared IR 36 Led Illuminator Board for CCTV CCD Security Camera WD

I may also add short adjustable legs to help with leveling, but this usually isn't an issue.

Attachments

• IMGP1480.JPG
    IMGP1480.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,032
Nice, fun doing projects for you craft. Keeps the camera dry and clean. Good job!

My first attempt was this thing ,very lightweight but does the job
a76ced046593f65fab7f36d6fcbe0dff.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi All, I have also made a Helipad designed for night landing practice, it has some unique features as follows,
1) it has LED's all round and can be controlled with a dimmer
2) it has Blue and Red strobe lights on each corner
3) importantly it is raised off the ground about 5 inches and has holes in the platform which allows the down wash
from the props to flow through and away underneath giving an incredibly smooth landing every time.
4) the power for this is 2 x 11.1v lipo batteries one for the LED's and one for the strobes and are held with Velcro
underneath and provide about 5 hours of power.
5) the helipad folds up for easy transport and the square 5 inch legs slide off.
6) it is about 1.2 meters square so a good size for any aircraft including helicopters.
Photos attached.
regards, all John

DSCN0244.JPG DSCN0219.JPG

Those are nice :)
I just use a one of those campaign 12 x 24" signs I keep in the back of my truck when off but at home.....

Wow i hope the local air ambulance uses it as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi All, I have also made a Helipad designed for night landing practice, it has some unique features as follows,
3) importantly it is raised off the ground about 5 inches and has holes in the platform which allows the down wash
from the props to flow through and away underneath giving an incredibly smooth landing every time.
4) the power for this is 2 x 11.1v lipo batteries one for the LED's and one for the strobes and are held with Velcro
5) the helipad folds up for easy transport and the square 5 inch legs slide off.
6) it is about 1.2 meters square so a good size for any aircraft including helicopters.
Photos attached.
regards, all John

View attachment 39267 View attachment 39268
That's really nice!

...and inspiring. So much that I am going to design and build a landing pad now.

Do you have instructions or a video on how to make a landing pad? That would be a great project to work on this winter. I am a complete newbie when it comes to making something without a manual :D

Hi All, I should explain the use of my helipad, part of my business is training people in the use of a UAV (DJI Phantom) and have trained people across occupations
such as, real estate agents, professional film makers, search & rescue etc, and some of these people require night flying experience so this is why the elaborate
helipad and it is also ideal for FPV training in pin point landings.
As far as any drawings for this helipad, no I do not have any I just started with a board and built it up to my requirements which I needed for the tasks however, Volitant_Soul,
I would be happy to send more detailed photos to you (best via e-mail) and you could use this as a guide for your own helipad but I would only recommend any helipad
you make is best to be raised off the ground (about 5 inches) and has holes throughout which makes for very smooth landings.
(I also have simple versions of helipad as a quick through down to fly, photos below)
Cheers all, John

Attachments

• DSCN0345.JPG
    DSCN0345.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 1,965
  • DSCN0153.JPG
    DSCN0153.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 898
When I first got my Phantom 3 last month, I was using a 24" x 22" MDF board to land on since I didn't want to land in the wet grass.

I wanted to make it into an actual landing pad, so I painted it to be highly visible during the day.

It also has a infrared LED illuminator in the center to make it (hopefully) highly visible at night. I will post pictures when I get a chance to test this out. I still need to figure out some kind of lens to cover the hole, as well as some sort of 12v power to it.

Here's the infrared illuminator I used:
Infrared IR 36 Led Illuminator Board for CCTV CCD Security Camera WD

I may also add short adjustable legs to help with leveling, but this usually isn't an issue.
Infrared, how do plan on seeing it?

@Satellite Aerial View

That would be great if you can share some pictures for me to get an idea of how you put it together. I'm interested in landing pad as you mentioned that would sit off the ground, with adjustable legs for proper balance, and LED lights.

pm sent with my email

Thanks

Photos attached.
regards, all John

View attachment 39267 View attachment 39268
Is that peg board?

24 x 22, wow thats huge. I made mine 14 x 14 using 3 mm white Sintra. I put a few bubble levels on it for good measure.

I'm thinking about making 50 of them, just need to figure out a price

I use mother natures landing pad but it has to be cut twice a week and the dog poo picked up. Be it grass, sand, dirt, wood chips or asphalt there all good takeoff and landing pads. Once in a while I use my carrying case when the grass is to long.

Infrared, how do plan on seeing it?

Every digital camera I have ever owned (and tested) is sensitive to I.R. so you should be able to see it on your phone/tablet/etc.

It's a great way to test home entertainment remotes.

Every digital camera I have ever owned (and tested) is sensitive to I.R. so you should be able to see it on your phone/tablet/etc.

It's a great way to test home entertainment remotes.

That's like to much work turning the camera to check the IR. Infrared detector card works quicker and doesn't need batteries.

That's like to much work turning the camera to check the IR. Infrared detector card works quicker and doesn't need batteries.

Great.

I was answering the question not offering critiques on methods.

TEHO

Great.

I was answering the question not offering critiques on methods.

TEHO

You spend to much time down there in the sun or is it god's waiting room

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub