Homemade Helipad

Reaction score
Made me a homemade Helipad out a piece of plywood I had in the garage. Just had to buy some paint. Yes, it's big but it will fit in the back of my truck to go to the lake. lol

Attachments

• 2663.jpg
    2663.jpg
    979.6 KB · Views: 1,363
  • 2721.jpg
    2721.jpg
    688.1 KB · Views: 1,385
  • IMG_8714.jpg
    IMG_8714.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 1,446
How about a square piece of roll on exercise/yoga/camping mat?

@ Richard,

You are proposing flexible mats to be used as helipads. Have you ever tried them?

Are they good for taking off or landing or both?

I would not go for any flexible pad as I fear my P3 would tip over and it won't be stable over not so flat ground or over sands or grass.

Thanks CCDD, I have thought about selling them but don't know if there is a real market. This one works great, it is made from a 3/8 inch pressboard. It is sturdy and has worked great for me since I made it. Thanks again!
Don

I enjoy when these helipad threads come up. There are always pictures of very clever ideas and it's fun to see everyone's creativity. Unfortunately the threads seem to turn into "I always hand catch" and then they fade away, but they are always fun while they last. Please keep on posting your pictures if you are so inclined.

One of the threads in June had a picture of a helipad with yellow strobe lights. That one is still my favorite. I'd post the link to it, but the picture has been removed from the post.

Cheers all.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheeliesteve
@ Richard,

You are proposing flexible mats to be used as helipads. Have you ever tried them?

Are they good for taking off or landing or both?

I would not go for any flexible pad as I fear my P3 would tip over and it won't be stable over not so flat ground or over sands or grass.

I used anything from large folded beach towel and corner stones to 2'x2' foam tile and a roll on camping pad. It's not ideal, and you need to find the right spot, or flatten the growth before setting the landing thingy ... but I often hike away from people and carrying anything large and heavy is out of question. If the terrain is just not suitable, I launch from the "pad" and catch the drone on landing.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheeliesteve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20